Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preselection

+58
Lisa M
Brown79
omark
Elske1992
maria_it
ChiaraD
Trainee2017
hellobl
rimi17
povilas
tarar92
alsoin
Adri042
Miguel Paiva
Leghorn
Maria62
Bolo889
Anouk
emagicj
Razvan Nicolescu
laloui
pops
kareniga
jottasoy
nomedellarosa
Federico93BM
Tdag
Mauriceh
ursula17
MST93
AMRD
NinaRoox
NoMoreWords
lanab
Lib91
AidanB
inesnunes91
LeireO
Natsu21
ralamaro
amelia_25
Raquelr_s
mariega
qwertyeu
Silvernight
laura92
MrFr
vscherders
Rman
lisa1989
Macaviity
rachaelrosen
Tz
CBu
lcf99
Antonnio
Paola123
medinagj
62 posters
Go down
ursula17

Preselection - Page 3 Empty Re: Preselection

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:44 pm
nomedellarosa wrote:
ursula17 wrote:
nomedellarosa wrote:
ursula17 wrote:Hey guys!! I also received an email today saying that I`ve been shortlisted. Do you know if we should start lobbying or is it better just to send them the requested documents? And what are our actual chances of being selected after, will they just check if everything`s fine with our documents or are they doing another selection process among the shortlisted candidates?

Hi, shortlisted as you Very Happy Did they mention in the email the DG to which you will be assigned?

Congratulations!  Very Happy  No, it`s written just that I`ve been shortlisted for a traineeship in the General Secretariat of the European Parliament. Is that something new compared to previous years? Cause I think that the past years the candidates were informed which DG they had been shortlisted for.

Congratulation to you Very Happy
It's the same for me, actually I just asked advice to two of my friends who did the EP traineeship in 2010 and 2012 and they both told me that they were informed in the email which DG they were shortlisted for. Indeed, they also told me that basically the selection after the 1st phase should be barely formal (they just have to check your documents). I have some doubts on this point, in the email they send me it seems that we will receive an offer only if selected (2nd phase). Do you think we should start lobbying? These friends told me that is not a custom at the European Parliament (unlike the EC) and it could not be appreciated.

I know, I have the same doubts about lobbying! I`ve also heard that lobbying isn`t common in the European Parliament but since the selection process this year seems to be different and I don`t really understand which our current position is, I don`t really know what to do.
tpauli

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:17 pm
ursula17 wrote:
nomedellarosa wrote:
ursula17 wrote:
nomedellarosa wrote:
ursula17 wrote:Hey guys!! I also received an email today saying that I`ve been shortlisted. Do you know if we should start lobbying or is it better just to send them the requested documents? And what are our actual chances of being selected after, will they just check if everything`s fine with our documents or are they doing another selection process among the shortlisted candidates?

Hi, shortlisted as you Very Happy Did they mention in the email the DG to which you will be assigned?

Congratulations!  Very Happy  No, it`s written just that I`ve been shortlisted for a traineeship in the General Secretariat of the European Parliament. Is that something new compared to previous years? Cause I think that the past years the candidates were informed which DG they had been shortlisted for.

It's the same for me, actually I just asked advice to two of my friends who did the EP traineeship in 2010 and 2012 and they both told me that they were informed in the email which DG they were shortlisted for. Indeed, they also told me that basically the selection after the 1st phase should be barely formal (they just have to check your documents). I have some doubts on this point, in the email they send me it seems that we will receive an offer only if selected (2nd phase). Do you think we should start lobbying? These friends told me that is not a custom at the European Parliament (unlike the EC) and it could not be appreciated.

I know, I have the same doubts about lobbying! I`ve also heard that lobbying  isn`t common in the European Parliament but since the selection process this year seems to be different and I don`t really understand which our current position is, I don`t really know what to do.

I am unsure as well. Also, we just chose domains when applying not DGs. I am not quite sure where I would start with the lobbying...
nomedellarosa

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:48 pm
ursula17 wrote:
nomedellarosa wrote:
ursula17 wrote:
nomedellarosa wrote:

I know, I have the same doubts about lobbying! I`ve also heard that lobbying  isn`t common in the European Parliament but since the selection process this year seems to be different and I don`t really understand which our current position is, I don`t really know what to do.

Regarding the DG placement, do you think it would appropriate for pre-selected candidates to ask information at Stages@europarl.europa.eu ?
I think I will send the documents asap (between today and tomorrow) and, at the same time, ask for further information in the body of the email PERS-trainee etc..

I am convinced that in the next week we will receive some calls from the DGs. Let's keep us updated and hopefully see you in Brussels Very Happy
tpauli

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:54 pm
nomedellarosa wrote:
Regarding the DG placement, do you think it would appropriate for pre-selected candidates to ask information at . ?
I think I will send the documents asap (between today and tomorrow) and, at the same time, ask for further information in the body of the email PERS-trainee etc..

I am convinced that in the next week we will receive some calls from the DGs. Let's keep us updated and hopefully see you in Brussels Very Happy

I am also considering asking them for more info.
Reading through the October 2016 feed I saw that the shortlisted candidates were informed about their DGs and Units in the same (first) mail. I would assume that means that if you were shortlisted and your paperwork was legit, you were in.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:00 pm
The fact that the mail mentions 'Luxembourg' in its heading does not mean that you will be placed in Luxembourg. it merely indicates that the mail was sent from one of the offices in Luxembourg.

Lobbying is not required at the European Parliament.

The only thing we need to do is to send the 3 required documents by 3 January and then wait and hope we get a selection mail by 15 February.

Right now we are shortlisted, meaning not yet selected.
lanab

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:08 pm
Hey guys,

I have also been short-listed- do you know if our applications are in the pool with the other candidates' applications, and then different units contact you based on your profile and their needs?
Also, does being shortlisted mean that you are selected for sure once your documents are verified?
P.S I guess we shouldn't lobby?
nomedellarosa

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:18 pm
lanab wrote:Hey guys,

I have also been short-listed- do you know if our applications are in the pool with the other candidates' applications, and then different units contact you based on your profile and their needs?
Also, does being shortlisted mean that you are selected for sure once your documents are verified?
P.S I guess we shouldn't lobby?

We were just discussing about this above. I think that rules are changed and we should wait for interviews in the next few days.
lisa1989

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:27 pm
I pretty sure there won't be any interviews next week. I had two interviews with EP-units in mid-november. The 2nd head of unit told me back then that he had to choose candidates from the EP-database by November 27/28.
nomedellarosa

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:30 pm
lisa1989 wrote:I pretty sure there won't be any interviews next week. I had two interviews with EP-units in mid-november. The 2nd head of unit told me back then that he had to choose candidates from the EP-database by November 27/28.

This looks discouraging for those who didn't receive any call from the DGs Sad

Last edited by nomedellarosa on Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:31 pm
I don't think so to be fair.

We need to send our 3 documents by 3 January. This should also mean that they will 'not' contact anyone before that date.

Between 3 January and 15 February they may contact u but not before 3 January. I will for example only send my documents during the Christmas holidays so not this week or next week.

It wouldn't be fair to start contacting those people who send in their documents immediately, while at the same time stating that you can send the documents until 3 January, right?
lanab

Hmm, I assume there might be some interviews in January then, after the holidays... Many officials have already left for their holidays Smile
kareniga

I have also "been shortlisted for a traineeship in the General Secretariat of the European Parliament".

Are we all been said that we have been "shortlisted" or is anyone been said "selected" or in a "reserve list"? This would help to us to clarify what means this year the shortlisted answers.

It gets me a little anxious...

Nice I found this forum! Good luck to everyone!
lisa1989

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:36 pm
Don't worry if you didn't receive any call. It is totally not common to do telephone interviews for the Schuman traineeships, but some units though prefer doing so. Usually people get picked just by their application.

Both heads of unit also couldn't guarantee me the traineeship (even though I was called). In the end, all the shortlisted people here are more or less in the same situation. The only slight advantage I got is maybe that I have some idea which unit shortlisted me...
lanab

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:40 pm
Yeah, that is confusing, especially since they mentioned 3 options in the rules: selected, reserve list or not selected:/ they introduced the "short-listed" category just to confuse us Very Happy
My friend who did the traineesship this year said that shortlisted turns into "selected' after the documents are verified...

Let's see, good luck to everybody!

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:52 pm
I don't think it makes a difference whether you've had a phone call or not.

If you simply received the shortlisted email then in all honesty your application was strong enough so as to not cause any doubts on your personal merits whatsoever.

This however does not mean that if you had a phone call that they have such doubts. Those who received a phone call will most likely be the ones with the highest chances to be selected at the end in that particular unit.

Keep in mind however that only very few units will actually make such a call. 90+ % of us shortlisted people will end up working in a unit which didn't even make a single phone call during the selection process...
LeireO

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:23 pm
Hi Smile I have also been shortlisted! Because of the confusion about the "new" selection procedure, I went to my inbox and just found that in the application confirmation email, the following was written:

"Candidates will be notified by e-mail of the results of the selection:
- in late July (for traineeships starting on 1 October)
- in late December (for traineeships starting on 1 March). "

It says "results of the selection", it would be quite unfair to change the selection process right in the middle of it. As all the rest of you, I am hoping we will automatically be selected as soon as they verify the documents (wishful thinking, maybe? bounce )

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:37 pm
I also wish they would provide more transparancy on a number of things.

I'm for example also curious as to the qualifications other selected people have, as well as those of the people who did not get selected.

I only have a bachelor's degree and I got shortlisted so euhm... Smile
LeireO

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:44 pm
Same here, I am finishing my Master's but don't have my degree yet and I got shortlisted. I think it was my language skills what got me through, my "professional experience" is so weak that it should not even be called so xD. I am a teaching assistant at uni though, maybe they also liked that.

I am also very curious about the candidate profile they are interested in!

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:48 pm
Now we just have to wait for about one more month :]

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by incognito4life on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomedellarosa

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:52 pm
I have a Master's degree in Law (with Erasmus experience) and work experience in a United Nations research institute. I speak Italian (mother tongue) English and French.
ralamaro

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:55 pm
I have an LLB in Law, llm in International Law, experience in UN Human Rights, and speak Spanish (mother tongue) Frech, english and a bit of italian.
Lib91

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:50 pm
incognito4life wrote:I also wish they would provide more transparancy on a number of things.

I'm for example also curious as to the qualifications other selected people have, as well as those of the people who did not get selected.

I only have a bachelor's degree and I got shortlisted so euhm... Smile

Many congrats!!!

As I wrote in a previous post for example last session (october 2016) I applied just with a bachelor and they inserted me on a reserve list. For this session I made the application having Msc cum laude in Economics and the (probably) rejected me, because I have not received any comunication .

This just to say that is quite normal being accepted also with "just" a bachelor.

Btw I have been rejected and I have Bsc and Msc (taught in english) in Economics cum laude (both), Associate in a think tank, italian,eng and german + Erasmus.

I will re-apply next year just to get some kind of record!

Good luck to all of u!!!
lanab

Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:14 pm
Don't break your heads about the selection criteria- of course, they look at your educational background and professional experience, but "networking" makes a real difference in Brussels. If two candidates have roughly similar profiles and if one candidate is recommended in one way or another by someone (even a former trainee), the recommended person will "win" (even if slightly "worse on paper").

I've been in Brussels for a year now and I see that all the time.
So, once admitted, try to build a good network! I dislike it, but that's the way the things work around here.
lisa1989

Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:00 am
Concerning the documents: Will you just send your B.A./M.A. certificate or also transcripts from your ongoing studies or Erasmus exchange(s)?
nomedellarosa

Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:19 am
lisa1989 wrote:Concerning the documents: Will you just send your B.A./M.A. certificate or also transcripts from your ongoing studies or Erasmus exchange(s)?

As they ask us for "diploma(s)", only B.A/M.A. diploma should be due scratch
Lib91

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:15 pm
lanab wrote:Don't break your heads about the selection criteria- of course, they look at your educational background and professional experience, but "networking" makes a real difference in Brussels. If two candidates have roughly similar profiles and if one candidate is recommended in one way or another by someone (even a former trainee), the recommended person will "win"  (even if slightly "worse on paper").

I've been in Brussels for a year now and I see that all the time.
So, once admitted, try to build a good network! I dislike it, but that's the way the things work around here.

Hi,
thank you for your advice!

But I did not mean to question the fairness of the process or the competences of the shortlisted. It was just a way to say that is quite normal being accepted with only a bachelor degree! I am sure that the candidates shorlisted are the best options that they had, no doubts about that Smile

Good luck!
Natsu21

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:18 pm
Dear all,
first congrats on your shortlisted mail, I also got one, and I'm having a little bit of an issue, I cannot anywhere find my application form, is it somewhere on the net, or should I saved my mail when they sent it to me 5 months ago ?

Thanks for the reply,
Best regards
LeireO

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:20 pm
I signed the application form that I got per email in October after having applied Smile

Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:46 pm
To lib91: when you were placed on the reserve list in a previous session, when you applied with just a bachelor, did the first email already mention that you were on a reserve list?

Or did that mail state that you were shortlisted (like we all received right now), only to then wait for 1 month to get another mail stating that you were placed on a reserve list?

Also I may only have a bachelor but it's probably worth mentioning that it is a bilingual LLB in European law (obtained abroad) & I'm very close to an LLM in European substantive law :p. Hopefully this is enough to get through.

Does anyone know what the division is in terms of where people are placed? Will the majority of people be placed in Brussels?
Lib91

Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:56 pm
incognito4life wrote:To lib91: when you were placed on the reserve list in a previous session, when you applied with just a bachelor, did the first email already mention that you were on a reserve list?

Or did that mail state that you were shortlisted (like we all received right now), only to then wait for 1 month to get another mail stating that you were placed on a reserve list?

Also I may only have a bachelor but it's probably worth mentioning that it is a bilingual LLB in European law (obtained abroad) & I'm very close to an LLM in European substantive law :p. Hopefully this is enough to get through.

Does anyone know what the division is in terms of where people are placed? Will the majority of people be placed in Brussels?

Hi congrats!!!
Btw in the oct 2016 session I received an email stated "your name has been placed on a reserve list for a traineeship in the General Secretariat of the European Parliament".
No more specifications, while the selected candidates (in oct 2016) received an email in which theyalso know the DGs that selected them. Reserve list and selected candidates received the email on the same day, just the message was different!

I think that this year the things are quite different. But for me who received the email has been selected, last year shortlisted=selected and (I think) also this year.

The difference is on the reserve list. The reasons can be 2: or this session reserve list candidates are not on this forum or they'll receive an email later on.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum