Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lobbying process

+85
Ingen
diana_jarv12
msg
cp2010
sgarei
magdalena_
simonsimon
ElizabethBennet
agri trainer
Deny
isa5
yian11a
cagliostro70
Slutsky
Dingo
mmcdonald
soof
HearSay
paula88
chilled
vomit75
Someuropa
cazz_89
manuyoo
europe4all
Ena
amra
AM123
gabor89
graninigloups
Londoner
sandman
SuSa11
elvis4ever
D.A.G
Ania
palua
thomas04
Sasha89
Thaily
mms
slav
MarkVHS
roller_coaster
joel1
nikolina.m
Molina
ejkej
EUtrainee
V88
beebee
alex88
angelapia
suzan
messi88
zupa24
Kat227
maud158
LaLaLand
ccro
msjoy
law2law
MarketaCZ
Lawyer10
Saar
keenbeans
XantManos
heda
Mims
Raluca_M
etoilefilante
DeZavala
Bleue
kris123
Petroselinum
MartaPL
coolup
Linnamaria
blinkblink
MissQuin
grazia
lucia_roman
Lidohan
NicBed
cjlind87
89 posters
Go down
angelapia

Lobbying process - Page 11 Empty Re: Lobbying process

Tue May 20, 2014 7:33 pm
@Thomas:
This is a tough question!
To be honest I did not get how important lobby is, yet!
Definitely my profile has improved since the first application (I have published another paper+ I have completed my PhD+ I now have all the relevant supporting documents, which I did not have!).

My profile is not directly linked to EC but since my last PhD year I have started to think more and more on how to switch from pure research to governamental jobs. Being pre- selected on the first time made me think that actually my profile could fit with EC. At time I did not have time to do a lot for my application as I was writing up my thesis but once I have finished the PhD I have started to "study" a lot about EC (I have bought some books, I have read many EC reports and I have looked at profiles of people already working there!). This definitely helped me to better tailor my application. But I am not sure if it will help me to get the so dreamed traineeship!;-/ Hope it helps!!
Lidohan

Tue May 20, 2014 7:47 pm
I had a call from DG Competition unit D6, they told me that they have chosen trainee already but they asked me if I would be interested in unpaid traineeship. That is really a big no for me, it is expensive and I would be working with some guy who gets paid for the same job as trainee... However I had a scheduled interview with ECFIN unit G2, they are just calling potential candidates. They asked me about my studies and thesis (written works in general) and about statistical software that I can use.
grazia

Tue May 20, 2014 9:37 pm
I received an email today by EEAS IV.1 Neighbourhood Policy saying that we will receive an outcome after 15th JULY. Isn't that too late?
Does anyone know if we receive "all" the offers the same day?
MissQuin
MissQuin

Tue May 20, 2014 10:20 pm
Hey everyone,

I got a little impatient and decided to be a bit pro-active again. Basically what happened is that I 'lobbied' at the general email for two units (EEAS) a few weeks ago. Since I hadn't heard anything (I got an automatic reply but that's it), I figured I could try and send an email directly to the head of (my preferred) unit, since I was not sure if they had ever received my email anyway. Immediately I got a very nice reply that unfortunately said that they were not taking trainees this time. I had faith that the general address would forward my email but apparently they don't do that Sad. Sooo I've been fanatically waiting for an answer for nothing. Therefore, I would recommend everyone to not be like me, and just directly lobby to the head of unit.

I thought this might be useful to share for the next round Smile.
amra

Tue May 20, 2014 10:46 pm
DG Research Unit A2 (Programming and Interinstitutional Relations) will not have a place for a trainee.
Londoner

Tue May 20, 2014 11:19 pm
MissQuin wrote:Hey everyone,

I got a little impatient and decided to be a bit pro-active again. Basically what happened is that I 'lobbied' at the general email for two units (EEAS) a few weeks ago. Since I hadn't heard anything (I got an automatic reply but that's it), I figured I could try and send an email directly to the head of (my preferred) unit, since I was not sure if they had ever received my email anyway. Immediately I got a very nice reply that unfortunately said that they were not taking trainees this time. I had faith that the general address would forward my email but apparently they don't do that Sad. Sooo I've been fanatically waiting for an answer for nothing. Therefore, I would recommend everyone to not be like me, and just directly lobby to the head of unit.

Too bad, but maybe the general emailadresses only forward emails to units of which they know that they will in fact have trainees?
So maybe your other unit will work out =)?
MissQuin
MissQuin

Wed May 21, 2014 12:48 am
Londoner wrote:
MissQuin wrote:Hey everyone,

Too bad, but maybe the general emailadresses only forward emails to units of which they know that they will in fact have trainees?
So maybe your other unit will work out =)?
I hope so Smile. That could be! And of course, maybe they did forward it and the head of unit didn't see it, that could also be possible. Still, I've learned my lesson: next time I'll send it to head of unit directly.
Petroselinum
Petroselinum

Wed May 21, 2014 10:34 am
MissQuin, do you recommand to send an email to the HoU now ? I send emails to the adresses we received and now, after your message, I am a bit worried.  Laughing Maybe I have to recall them that I exist...
MissQuin
MissQuin

Wed May 21, 2014 10:37 am
Petroselinum wrote:MissQuin, do you recommand to send an email to the HoU now ? I send emails to the adresses we received and now, after your message, I am a bit worried.  Laughing Maybe I have to recall them that I exist...
I don't know, as I can only share my experience with you. I do think that directly contacting the HoU gives you a bigger chance that they will actually see your email, but perhaps they did pass it on? I guess you can always try. I emailed them mostly because I was getting a bit impatient lol.
lucia_roman

Wed May 21, 2014 10:41 am
At this point, it may be useless to contact the HoU as most of the services have selected their trainees by now. So, I would advise against a huge spamming of dozens of HoU emails.
However, if you have one or two dream Units, you should give it a go, as you never know.
As usual, the email follows a generi standard firstname.lastname@ec.europa.eu
lucia_roman

Wed May 21, 2014 10:49 am
I will be on chat in the following hours, if you have questions about the application and the stage in general Wink
Petroselinum
Petroselinum

Wed May 21, 2014 11:01 am
Many thanks guys !
Sasha89

Wed May 21, 2014 11:42 am
grazia wrote:I received an email today by EEAS IV.1 Neighbourhood Policy saying that we will receive an outcome after 15th JULY. Isn't that too late?
Does anyone know if we receive "all" the offers the same day?

I received the same
angelapia

Wed May 21, 2014 12:18 pm
lucia_roman wrote:I will be on chat in the following hours, if you have questions about the application and the stage in general Wink

Hi Lucia,

thank you for offering your help!!
As you are now a former trainee, could you please clarify us the best way to proceed if we have received some calls but we did not hear back anything since?

I have already emailed the people that have called me but they did not answer, I guess it is because now everything is the TO office hands. Isn'it?
If this is the case, do you think is it worth to contact the TO directly?

I don't want to annoy people too much but meanwhile I would like to do everything possible!!

Thank you!
lucia_roman

Wed May 21, 2014 12:48 pm
This reply is based on personal experience, discussions with other trainees and common sense Razz

After I had my interview, I wrote to the lady with whom I have discussed to thank her for the opportunity and for emphasising again my qualities that I thought at that time would enable me to perform the duties of the job, as described by her during our talk.
She never got back to me. I also had a second interview with the HoU, who seemed reassuring that I would get the traineeship, as far as they are concerned.

Now, what does that mean, that the ToU decides? As far as I know, there is only case when the ToU takes a decision. If one person is on top of the list of two different Units, the ToU will decide which one will get it. But even then, you can write to them and express your preference (but, of course, you would have to know whether you were on more than one list).

I reckon there are some specific cases, for instance security and confidentialy issues regarding the activity of some units, where you cannot work if there is a conflict of interests/not a citizen of the EU, but I do not have many details on that. Nevertheless, I believe the Units are already instructed on the "eligibility" criteria, so a situation where the ToU would refuse allocating a placement to a specific grounds to an applicant should be very limited.

It goes without saying that people processing all the incoming information in the huge database (I remember the ToU HoU saying they have 100 Computers working day and night) are Humans - so errors are possible. I even read about somebody calling the HoU and found out that he had ben allocated to another unit by mistake than supposed to.

Conclusion:
1. If one unit wants you, you will get the offer, the ToU will not have much to say (except the restrictions mentioned above).
2. It more than two units want you (usually from different DGs, as inside one DG, there is a traineship cordinator that centralises the lists and can know beforehand if there will be any conflicts and settles them inernally), then the ToU will decide where will you go, if you have not contacted them to express any preference, in which case there might be some room to negociate. BUT, nevertheles, you will get a placement offer, .

So, why do they say over the phone that is the ToU who decides without giving more clarification on that? Dunno, maybe to pass the responsability on the shoulders of the ToU, themselves not knowing too much on the procedures themselves. Or maybe becaure there is simply no time to explain that. They are people with lots of duties, among which the selection of the trainee is not the utmost priority. You'd be surprised the stories I hear :p

I know that the waiting is not pleasant, but there is not much time left until the final results will be out. I would not call the ToU, unless you got more than two calls, which seemed very reassuring abotu the prospects of getting the position and then you would like to notify them about your preferred one. Otherwise, you risk just interrupting them from encoding the lists and making mistakes :p

Londoner

Wed May 21, 2014 2:40 pm
lucia_roman wrote:This reply is based on personal experience, discussions with other trainees and common sense Razz

After I had my interview, I wrote to the lady with whom I have discussed to thank her for the opportunity and for emphasising again my qualities that I thought at that time would enable me to perform the duties of the job, as described by her during our talk.
She never got back to me. I also had a second interview with the HoU, who seemed reassuring that I would get the traineeship, as far as they are concerned.

Now, what does that mean, that the ToU decides? As far as I know, there is only case when the ToU takes a decision. If one person is on top of the list of two different Units, the ToU will decide which one will get it.  But even then, you can write to them and express your preference (but, of course, you would have to know whether you were on more than one list).

I reckon there are some specific cases, for instance security and confidentialy issues regarding the activity of some units, where you cannot work if there is a conflict of interests/not a citizen of the EU, but I do not have many details on that. Nevertheless, I believe the Units are already instructed on the "eligibility" criteria, so a situation where the ToU would refuse allocating a placement to a specific grounds to an applicant should be very limited.

It goes without saying that people processing all the incoming information in the huge database (I remember the ToU HoU saying they have 100 Computers working day and night) are Humans - so errors are possible. I even read about somebody calling the HoU and found out that he had ben allocated to another unit by mistake than supposed to.

Conclusion:
1. If one unit wants you, you will get the offer, the ToU will not have much to say (except the restrictions mentioned above).
2. It more than two units want you (usually from different DGs, as inside one DG, there is a traineship cordinator that centralises the lists and can know beforehand if there will be any conflicts and settles them inernally), then the ToU will decide where will you go, if you have not contacted them to express any preference, in which case there might be some room to negociate. BUT, nevertheles, you will get a placement offer, .

So, why do they say over the phone that is the ToU who decides without giving more clarification on that? Dunno, maybe to pass the responsability on the shoulders of the ToU, themselves not knowing too much on the procedures themselves. Or maybe becaure there is simply no time to explain that. They are people with lots of duties, among which the selection of the trainee is not the utmost priority. You'd be surprised the stories I hear :p

I know that the waiting is not pleasant, but there is not much time left until the final results will be out. I would not call the ToU, unless you got more than two calls, which seemed very reassuring abotu the prospects of getting the position and then you would like to notify them about your preferred one. Otherwise, you risk just interrupting them from encoding the lists and making mistakes :p

I have tried to send you a PM, can you check whether you received it? It doesn't appear in my sent items?
MartaPL

Wed May 21, 2014 3:44 pm
Hey guys,

I just receieved this e-mail from HR unit in DG EMPL:

"Thank you very much for your message and the interest shown in our Directorate General.

Since the selection process is still ongoing, we are unfortunately not able to give you any more information at this stage.

Thank you very much for your understanding and best regards,"

Did anyone had an interview with Unit D.2: Social Inclusion and Poverty Reduction?
LaLaLand

Wed May 21, 2014 3:55 pm
MartaPL wrote:Hey guys,

"Thank you very much for your message and the interest shown in our Directorate General.

Since the selection process is still ongoing, we are unfortunately not able to give you any more information at this stage.

Did anyone had an interview with Unit D.2: Social Inclusion and Poverty Reduction?

Received the same e-mail. I really don't understand why they are replying just now.
zupa24

Wed May 21, 2014 6:20 pm
I also lobbied Unit D.2 and got the very same email today. I am surprised they reply so late. Is there anybody who had interview with DG EMPL?

MartaPL wrote:Hey guys,

slav

Wed May 21, 2014 6:31 pm
hi guys,
Just to update you on the news from DG Enlargement.
I received an email from Kosovo unit that they have chosen their candidate. It wasn`t me. Whoever got it, congratulations Smile

Anyone has any news for other units within DG Enlargement?
Lidohan

Wed May 21, 2014 6:40 pm
So today I received offer from ECFIN unit G2 and I told them that I accept it. Looking forward to it. I did not lobby at this specific unit but last week I sent email to DG ECFIN on the general address expressing my interest.
angelapia

Thu May 22, 2014 9:55 am
Congratulations Lidohan!!

p.s. Guys did you also receive the traineeship Programme’s application process, eligibility criteria, and selection survey?
Raluca_M

Thu May 22, 2014 11:31 am
angelapia wrote:Congratulations Lidohan!!

p.s. Guys did you also receive the traineeship Programme’s application process, eligibility criteria, and selection survey?

No, I haven't received anything yet...
graninigloups

Thu May 22, 2014 11:43 am
Did someone get concrete feedback from EEAS' units?
or only the basic: "You need to wait for the TO's final say..."

Thanks!
DeZavala

Thu May 22, 2014 12:42 pm
Hi y'all!

I received an email from DG ENTR, saying they had a place for a trainee and if I was interested on it. Although, they stated very clearly that it wasn't an official offer and that I will be informed of the next steps if I'm finally recruited.

I didn’t lobby that unit and I don’t know what to expect about this email; If it means something or not, as they didn’t mention anything about an interview. I suppose I have to wait until the 2nd of June :S This selection process is really long and exhausting!
palua

Thu May 22, 2014 1:14 pm
@ Lidohan: Congrats, looks like we're gonna be in the same DG (i'm in unit F, though) :-)
Did you already get a written confirmation? They told me only on the phone that they can't give me an official confirmation yet but there usually shouldn't be any problems.

As well, when DG Ecfin tried to book me, they found out that I already had been booked by another DG (COMM), without ever having any contact with them... so for all people haven't received anything yet: There is definitely hope!
Londoner

Thu May 22, 2014 3:54 pm
Anyone here who has contacted (called) the Traineeship Office, can you maybe PM me their number? For some reason I seem unable to find it. Thanks  Smile 
manuyoo

Thu May 22, 2014 4:35 pm
Did anyone that lobbied to DG HOME or JUST received a call/interview, or anyone knows about DG's that don't call?

I haven't received anything (offers or calls), so I'm just hoping that some Unit have chosen me already....

Also, do you think they'll start sending the offers until or starting in 2nd june? I lobbied so I'm just sad I didn't received any call Sad
Londoner

Thu May 22, 2014 4:59 pm
manuyoo wrote:Did anyone that lobbied to DG HOME or JUST received a call/interview, or anyone knows about DG's that don't call?

I haven't received anything (offers or calls), so I'm just hoping that some Unit have chosen me already....

Also, do you think they'll start sending the offers until or starting in 2nd june? I lobbied so I'm just sad I didn't received any call Sad

I haven't heard of anyone hearing back from DG Just. A friend of mine got interviewed by DG Home but that is all I know of!

Sasha89

Thu May 22, 2014 6:31 pm
Did you guys receive this too?

"Dear candidate,

On behalf of various Directorate Generals and Services of the European Commission, we would like to thank you for communicating your interest by contacting them, while declaring your motivation and willingness to undertake the October 2014 traineeship session.

Due to the current workload and the impressive number of such incoming emails from interested candidates, please kindly note that some of them might not necessarily receive a follow in means of an answer. We count on your understanding and cooperation during the on-going selection process.

Thank you in advance and all the best,

The Traineeships Unit"
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum