Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Selection process

+21
caoscaos
kapo123
s.giossi
iulia
K
Ant
elina
tomaszkulawik
blueberrypie
fank
dishwasher
alina1986
catarininhah
lill
jankoc
ntky
rena_sim
EUGirl
babalui
stefanarvatu
zk86
25 posters
Go down
matz86

Selection process - Page 4 Empty Re: Selection process

Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:30 pm
hi guys,
seems to me that if we have not yet received news, our application was rejected ..
K

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:49 pm
Hi!

Any news? I still haven't received any e-mail from them. I also wrote them an e-mail asking whether the decision about the selection has been made, and if not, when will it be made, but they haven't replied.

EUGirl

Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:34 pm
alina1986 wrote:He or she didn't specify, but I asummed it was the journalism option because it was the press office that called him/her.

I got a call from the London press office (my first choice). It was general option, not journalism. My offer email arrived a couple of weeks after the interview. I thus wouldn't say that an interview is a bad sign - from what I can work out - if there are a few strong candidates they give them a call 'just to see' how they do. Where there is less competition (or simply less candidates equally good) there will be no need for an interview.

Good luck everyone - there is still a few days to go (the documents must by in by Friday and if they are not I think they go for their second choice)
alina1986

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:11 pm
I just got a rejection email from the General Secretariat...Kind of disappointing, but I was expecting it! I applied for the general and journalism option (the latter in the Paris office), so I don't know if this e-mail refers to just the general option or both.

I had q question for the people who were selected: about how many years of work experience did you have? I'm guessing most applicants have a degree and a master's plus fluent English and French, so what do you think actually makes "the difference"?
EUGirl

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:12 pm
I haven't got any years of work experience and I'm only now finishing my Masters (will have it hopefully by the time i start the traineeship). Also, I don't speak French. But I speak 3 other EU languages.

I think what *really* makes the difference is your motivations bit of the application and how relevant your education is to what you want to do.
stefanarvatu

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:21 pm
Just called and aparently there is a delay for most programs wich means that all the results will be sent next week for the Presidency DG and Internal Policies DG at least.That's what the nice lady at the end of the phone line said, so there is still hope yet Cool .
alina1986

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:12 pm
EUGirl wrote:I haven't got any years of work experience and I'm only now finishing my Masters (will have it hopefully by the time i start the traineeship). Also, I don't speak French. But I speak 3 other EU languages.

I think what *really* makes the difference is your motivations bit of the application and how relevant your education is to what you want to do.

Yeah, I guess the motivation statement is important when you have so many applicants with similar qualifications. I would like to re-apply because I think it must be a great experience, but I also just finished my master's and will be looking for a permanent job starting in the fall so it is unlikely that I will be free in March 2012.

@Stefanarvatu: Yes, I think those who haven't heard anything must still have a chance because I already got a rejection e-mail even though I had applied for the two DGs that you mention.
marija

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:32 pm
Got rejected today. I expected it, because it was clear when all the successful applicants got their mails earlier. Good luck for the next time guys. Smile
alina1986

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:07 pm
marija wrote:Got rejected today. I expected it, because it was clear when all the successful applicants got their mails earlier. Good luck for the next time guys. Smile

Sorry to hear that! But try not to get discouraged: I get the impression that most people apply 1-2 times before getting an offer.
elina

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:47 pm
i also got my rejection email today..had applied for internal/external affairs and legal...anyway i already knew it so it wasn't a surprise..as far as the qualifications are concerned, i am currently doing a master in european law-what could be more relevant than that?- and speak 4 foreign languages..guess though that the motivations are important, the needs of each department and luck is an important factor too..
alina1986

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:12 pm
Elina, I know it gets frustrating sometimes. But you know, everything is so ridiculously competitive for our generation, even badly paid 5-month internships with no real contract nor hiring prospects! There are just too many highly qualified people battling for a few openings.

It's better to not dwindle on this sort of thing and to just keep trying. As you have said, there's also some luck involved and eventually your application will reach the right person at the right time.

I get the feeling they don't care much about foreign languages as long as you understand and speak "international" English: they have hundreds of translators and translation interns. The application also doesn't ask for any proof of the level of language that the person claims, so I guess they give relatively little importance to that section since it is so easy to lie.

Maybe the degree is more important, although I know people with no master's and average grades that got in. They had work experience to compensate, though.

I wonder whether the actual order in which they get the applications might actually make a difference. It might sound stupid, but why keep going through files if you've found someone that meets the unit's needs?

They may also take into account geographical distribution and try to include candidates of all nationalities. If you look only at qualifications, some countries might be overrepresented (I'm thinking of Germany, for example) because their nationals have more money and government-sponsored opportunities to study, travel, learn foreign languages, etc.

Anyway, it's all speculation! It would be nice to talk to someone who works there to know more details about how the whole thing works because the information they give on the site is really not very thorough.
elina

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:26 pm
alina1986 wrote:Elina, I know it gets frustrating sometimes. But you know, everything is so ridiculously competitive for our generation, even badly paid 5-month internships with no real contract nor hiring prospects! There are just too many highly qualified people battling for a few openings.

It's better to not dwindle on this sort of thing and to just keep trying. As you have said, there's also some luck involved and eventually your application will reach the right person at the right time.

I get the feeling they don't care much about foreign languages as long as you understand and speak "international" English: they have hundreds of translators and translation interns. The application also doesn't ask for any proof of the level of language that the person claims, so I guess they give relatively little importance to that section since it is so easy to lie.

Maybe the degree is more important, although I know people with no master's and average grades that got in. They had work experience to compensate, though.

I wonder whether the actual order in which they get the applications might actually make a difference. It might sound stupid, but why keep going through files if you've found someone that meets the unit's needs?

They may also take into account geographical distribution and try to include candidates of all nationalities. If you look only at qualifications, some countries might be overrepresented (I'm thinking of Germany, for example) because their nationals have more money and government-sponsored opportunities to study, travel, learn foreign languages, etc.

Anyway, it's all speculation! It would be nice to talk to someone who works there to know more details about how the whole thing works because the information they give on the site is really not very thorough.
you are absolute right!;-)
and yes, our generation is really having a hard time....it's all so stressful!
anyway! the best is yet to come!
elina

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:29 pm
and i also have a rather not so relevant question, but i am always wondering: let's say that you got an offer from an eu-institution, but for some reason you can't accept it..you can still apply for an internship next time right? because i read somewhere that one should not "have benefited from previous training or employment"..
andreasryslinge

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:18 pm
anybody got mails today??
alina1986

Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:25 pm
elina wrote:and i also have a rather not so relevant question, but i am always wondering: let's say that you got an offer from an eu-institution, but for some reason you can't accept it..you can still apply for an internship next time right? because i read somewhere that one should not "have benefited from previous training or employment"..

From what I understand, you're only excluded if you actually accepted and did the internship. If you turned down the offer, you can reapply.
elina

Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:31 pm
alina1986 wrote:
elina wrote:and i also have a rather not so relevant question, but i am always wondering: let's say that you got an offer from an eu-institution, but for some reason you can't accept it..you can still apply for an internship next time right? because i read somewhere that one should not "have benefited from previous training or employment"..

From what I understand, you're only excluded if you actually accepted and did the internship. If you turned down the offer, you can reapply.
that's what i understood too! just wanted to be sure! thanks a lot!;-)
andreasryslinge

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:11 pm
I HEARD WAITING LIST PEOPLE GOT MAILS TODAY, AND REJECT YESTERDAY - IS THIS TRUE
s.giossi

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:16 pm
Those who have not received any email are basically out.
elina

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:46 pm
andreasryslinge wrote:I HEARD WAITING LIST PEOPLE GOT MAILS TODAY, AND REJECT YESTERDAY - IS THIS TRUE
yes, i was officially rejected yesterday! and a friend of mine too.
feraye

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:38 am
Hello guys! Congratulations to all those who received an offer. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows what is the possibility of getting a traineeship from the waiting list? Does anyone know if it ever happened? Many thanks!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum