Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March 2020 Traineeship

+72
Anntony
c.sea
trainee-march-2020-fr
Eliep73
esti88
ggn
elisabeth123
anatolie
roger545
Simo
bigtam1993
vsh26
Doxa7189
Louise11
vic_sh
Reyxx
a.oliveira
mariakou
anaiunker
Username
Unknowwwn
jinulka
Gigi
andrei.c
EPs141
Coat
ccristina
Milda
Investigating
Emvfri
mcrab93
MLR
Eun
ncks123
vicky88
nicola.umea
veedeevee
discodisco
sasas
elvel00
margherita5
mariamari
nn123
anamaria1
evas21
givemereason
even
CarlosIus
Hawk27
Hefyxx
mara.radan
MTL>Brussels
vic
Amandinala
Trainee2019
ThunderStruck
SirBuddy
carlosmetz
Rono
okaps 12
nellyg
CaseyKaiser
diesdas
esse.ci
UrsulaM
123aa
cand93
mirisigy
dana2019
Melian6
Biizzy
leelani
76 posters
Go down
nn123

March 2020 Traineeship - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2020 Traineeship

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:20 pm
MTL>Brussels wrote:Ok, I just received a phone call from  DG TRADE and in spite of being very stressed, the guy (extremely nice btw) sounded satisfied. He asked why I chose his Unit (after having admitted that he had my cv before his eyes, so he was guessing pretty much why) and how my background could fit with the work of this department. Again, I was very nervous but succedeed to formulate decent answers. He finally asked me if I was confirming my interest in working with them and if I already applied to other DGs. I answered that i did apply to other DGs but that due to my professional experience and academic background, I was by all means very interested. He told me that he would call me another day for a "formal" interview and promised me to send an email before his next call. I don't know if it helps.
Well done! I also got an email from DG Trade for an informal discussion so I guess I will have kind of the same questions... Even when I'm prepared I still get super stressed so I definitely feel you. Since DG Trade is your first choice then I'm sure you will be selected ASAP since they have priority !
nn123

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:25 pm
okaps 12 wrote:
nn123 wrote:I got a call from DG competition, she was going to put me on her list of trainees but then she asked me if I had DG Competition as my first choice, and I said no. She said she cannot select me as a candidate because my first choice has priority until the 18th of December apparently... (I didn't think my current master's in Economics that I'm still finishing would be taken into account if I'd selected DG competition as my top 3 choices during the application, so I didn't.)
I'm so sad... my first choice is EEAS but it's such a competitive DG, and also I really want a DG working mainly with economic issues, so yeah, I messed up my top three choices for sure.

I did the same "mistake" for the 2 times in a row and chose EEAS as a first choice but what can I do when my focus are security studies and EEAS has the biggest number of units that are dealing with it Rolling Eyes
This is my first time applying and I had no clue tbh. Since I had to justify all my choices with real "evidence" (paperwork) that's why I chose EEAS, ECHO and then Trade, because I could justify them with my first master's. I put Trade as third because of what I'm studying right now, even though it's my preferred DG out of the three. I don't know, maybe I wouldn't have been selected if I hadn't picked these three, we will see. If I don't get selected, I can always try for the the October 2020 session with only economic related DGs and hope for the best.
okaps 12

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:27 pm
nn123 wrote:
okaps 12 wrote:
nn123 wrote:I got a call from DG competition, she was going to put me on her list of trainees but then she asked me if I had DG Competition as my first choice, and I said no. She said she cannot select me as a candidate because my first choice has priority until the 18th of December apparently... (I didn't think my current master's in Economics that I'm still finishing would be taken into account if I'd selected DG competition as my top 3 choices during the application, so I didn't.)
I'm so sad... my first choice is EEAS but it's such a competitive DG, and also I really want a DG working mainly with economic issues, so yeah, I messed up my top three choices for sure.

I did the same "mistake" for the 2 times in a row and chose EEAS as a first choice but what can I do when my focus are security studies and EEAS has the biggest number of units that are dealing with it Rolling Eyes
This is my first time applying and I had no clue tbh. Since I had to justify all my choices with real "evidence" (paperwork) that's why I chose EEAS, ECHO and then Trade, because I could justify them with my first master's. I put Trade as third because of what I'm studying right now, even though it's my preferred DG out of the three. I don't know, maybe I wouldn't have been selected if I hadn't picked these three, we will see. If I don't get selected, I can always try for the the October 2020 session with only economic related DGs and hope for the best.  

I see.. Well, the problem with EEAS is that its too wide and has so many different units whereas you can apply only for EEAS in general. So, I have no idea how they are actually choosing candidates among many units.
nn123

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:10 pm
You should absolutely lobby for the EEAS. The woman from DG Competition who called me today urged me to lobby ASAP.
She literally told me (translated from French) "What?! Why didn't you lobby! Do it ASAP, you have 20 min before the blue book opens at the EC, so just type a small message, and select around 5 Units and send your email and CV to them! You need to show that you exist!"
She also did say that she believes the priority for first preference is only until the 11th, but she told me it says the 18th on her database, which she believed was a mistake.
So definitely lobby! (It must be because she was from DG Competition that she was so adamant but I think you have nothing to lose lol)
MTL>Brussels

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:35 pm
nn123 wrote:You should absolutely lobby for the EEAS. The woman from DG Competition who called me today urged me to lobby ASAP.
She literally told me (translated from French) "What?! Why didn't you lobby! Do it ASAP, you have 20 min before the blue book opens at the EC, so just type a small message, and select around 5 Units and send your email and CV to them! You need to show that you exist!"
She also did say that she believes the priority for first preference is only until the 11th, but she told me it says the 18th on her database, which she believed was a mistake.
So definitely lobby! (It must be because she was from DG Competition that she was so adamant but I think you have nothing to lose lol)

That's definitely a great piece of advice. I wish we knew about that before applying.
nn123

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:35 am
Yeah I didn't know either...
okaps 12

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 am
I agree that lobbying works sometimes. For example, i sent an e-mail to one unit and this morning they replied asking me if i have a time for a call today, which they probably wouldn't have done if i didn't contact them first.

Anyway, wish me luck for today's call Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
sasas

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:49 am
Hi, congradulations to all who have been pre-selected. I began to lobby yesterday and have just realised that the HRs of some DGs are the same.
I got no call neither email from any DG, except for those responding to my lobbying email that they would inform me in case I am selected.

Since yesterday my heart has been burning from excitement. Smile

Best wishes to all!

evas21

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm

Non EU here. I looks that the chances are very low for us. No calls yet and I have not send any emails yet. Any recommendation for lobbying ?
sasas

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:10 pm
evas21 wrote:
Non EU here. I looks that the chances are very low for us. No calls yet and I have not send any emails yet. Any recommendation for lobbying ?

I wish this is because some units have not begun calling the candidates. I sent a short message with my CV.
nn123

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:21 pm
I would suggest for Non EU maybe to mention in your short message that you are very knowledgeable in EU institutions or that you will not have any problems in terms of visa, etc. (maybe include it at the end of your short cover letter)... I don't know why they're that reluctant to answer non EU candidates...
Also, do lobby specific units from DGs. The emails provided by the TO are definitely not enough.
nn123

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:22 pm
okaps 12 wrote:I agree that lobbying works sometimes. For example, i sent an e-mail to one unit and this morning they replied asking me if i have a time for a call today, which they probably wouldn't have done if i didn't contact them first.

Anyway, wish me luck for today's call Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good luck!!
elvel00

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:47 pm
I don't know if this can help but as a non-EU I sent 15 lobbying emails getting answers from 3 Units. They very kindly told me that some of them are currently selecting their candidates and my application is "well noted". So yes, you should definitely lobby, at least to show them that you exist. Received no calls/interviews though.
evas21

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:52 pm
elvel00 wrote:I don't know if this can help but as a non-EU I sent 15 lobbying emails getting answers from 3 Units. They very kindly told me that some of them are currently selecting their candidates and my application is "well noted". So yes, you should definitely lobby, at least to show them that you exist. Received no calls/interviews  though.

So did you sent lobbying emails to DGs that were not part of your application options?
In my case, there is not information of all my DG and executive agency ... I only saw 1 email info and it is the same for two different DGs
Rono

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:03 pm
I received information that only this agencies from the list received in the notification of our account will accept trainees this session.
Do you think it is true?
elvel00

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:09 pm
@evas21 No. I contacted only Units of the DGs I picked during my application. And I didn't use the adresses they suggested us. Here at this link you'll find all the DGs, in each page you'll also find the Organisational Chart. In that file all the Units are showed (classified as Unit A, A1, A2, A3,B1,B2,B3, ETC) and the Head of Unit name as well. I sent emails to the Heads of Unit I was interested to work for. The email adresses are not showed though. Just use the formula name.surname @ec.europa.eu!
evas21

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:10 pm
elvel00 wrote:@evas21 No. I contacted only Units of the DGs I picked during my application. And I didn't use the adresses they suggested us. Here at this link you'll find all the DGs, in each page you'll also find the Organisational Chart. In that file all the Units are showed (classified as Unit A, A1, A2, A3,B1,B2,B3, ETC) and the Head of Unit name as well. I sent emails to the Heads of Unit I was interested to work for. The email adresses are not showed though. Just use the formula name.surname @ec.europa.eu!

Ohh Thanks!, can you send us the link ? I would like to check it
elvel00

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:19 pm
evas21 wrote:
elvel00 wrote:@evas21 No. I contacted only Units of the DGs I picked during my application. And I didn't use the adresses they suggested us. Here at this link you'll find all the DGs, in each page you'll also find the Organisational Chart. In that file all the Units are showed (classified as Unit A, A1, A2, A3,B1,B2,B3, ETC) and the Head of Unit name as well. I sent emails to the Heads of Unit I was interested to work for. The email adresses are not showed though. Just use the formula name.surname @ec.europa.eu!

Ohh Thanks!, can you send us the link ? I would like to check it

Apparently as a new member of the forum I am not allowed to post links for the first 7 days so I am not able to post messages containing links. Just google "ec europa departments" - it should be the first suggested webpage
okaps 12

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 pm
nn123 wrote:
MTL>Brussels wrote:

Don't give up ! I heard that you could change the order of your preferences ! Give it a try and call the traineeship office !

Thank you for the idea!! I just emailed EAC-STAGES @ ec.europa. eu I hope it is the correct email address (I do not know the phone number...)!
I hope it will be possible but if not then I will just have to sit tight!
Have you had any news from any DGs? And are you lobbying only your first preference or even DGs you have not applied to?

Did you get back the info whether it is possible to change the order of preferences?
mara.radan

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:41 pm
Guys, have you had any news/calls from DGs - AGRI, EAC, EMPL? I started to lobby and got 2 answers:
1. AGRI - Unit doesn't need trainees.
2. AGRI - "Dear Blue Book candidate,
Thank you for your email informing us that you have passed the pre-selection stage, for which we congratulate you. I note that you wish to have a traineeship within DG AGRI. However, as the selection of candidates is still ongoing, we are not in a position at this stage to be able to guarantee a traineeship in this Directorate General. If you pass the final selection stage, the Traineeships Office will send you a contract for a traineeship either with us or in another Directorate General. If, however, you have not received any answer by February, for the period beginning in March 2020, you may consider that your application has not been successful. Should your first application be unsuccessful, you can still apply for a subsequent exercise, provided you are still eligible. You must, however, make a new application."
nn123

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:42 pm
YEs the TO did reply back to me.
And the answer is NO (with the capital letters included) ...
So yeah... Did you get a response from any units of the EEAS? ... Sad
mara.radan

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:44 pm
No Sad
I will let you know if i receive any news.
vic

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm
I received a reply from EEAS EURCA.EAST.1 that they don't take trainees for M20 session. That's all so far
nn123

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:51 pm
I wonder how EEAS chooses its candidates... I mean is it only based on the resume? Since it appears they haven't contacted any of us yet... Sad
okaps 12

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:56 pm
nn123 wrote:YEs the TO did reply back to me.

I assumed so Mad

No, no EEAS unit contacted me although I sent an e-mail to almost each one of them Very Happy
okaps 12

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:57 pm
nn123 wrote:I wonder how EEAS chooses its candidates... I mean is it only based on the resume? Since it appears they haven't contacted any of us yet... Sad

I think everyone would like to know that Very Happy Very Happy
ThunderStruck

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:03 pm
Hey, has anyone heard from the EPSC?Smile
nn123

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:21 pm
okaps 12 wrote:
nn123 wrote:YEs the TO did reply back to me.

I assumed so Mad

No, no EEAS unit contacted me although I sent an e-mail to almost each one of them Very Happy
I only contacted the ones relevant to my background, since I couldn't really put anything in my cover letter for some of them.
I got an email fro DG GROW encouraging me to lobby for my top three choices (especially the first one which is EEAS).
I really liked that unit in DG GROW snif
sasas

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:28 pm
Does anyone know the domain/URL of the email adresses within DEVCO, I tried devco, europeaid and ec, non of them worked.
okaps 12

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:50 pm
So I just had a phone interview. The gent on the other side was very nice and i think i explained well my motivation and everything. However, he told me that they will make the final decision next week because they have some other candidates as well and also asked me what would be my preferred DG since this one was my 3rd preference and would I be happy with some other unit in this DG because the few units from the same DG that are similar and connected will consult each other about which candidate would be the best for the specific unit.

So, all in all, he did not offer me anything specific yet, but lets see, it could go both ways easily.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum