Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations for the preselected!

+18
Simon
xano213
Alexe
alira
epsofun
gany
Dries
mag-da
sono25
Katia
Jeannek
fank
krista
SisBliss
VeK
Eva
geewiz
Aneena
22 posters
Go down
Dries

Congratulations for the preselected! - Page 2 Empty Re: Congratulations for the preselected!

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:54 am
How about DG-RELEX? I know it's really competitive, but I was wondering about the number of places they've got for stagiaires...

On a related note, do you guys think it's worth to try and call a few HOU's or their secretaries, to ask about opportunities and show you're really motivated? Or would that just backfire?

good luck to everyone!
gany

Congratulations for the preselected! - Page 2 Empty Re: Congratulations for the preselected!

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:29 am
Hi, Aneena, you are very helpful to us. Thanx! I am also preselected, but unfortunately no call until now!Can you really find how many trainees enter each DG.My choice is RTD:Research, JRC and SANCO. I know that they are very popular.
Thanx.
epsofun

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:51 am
Just got an e-mail from a unit i'm kinda (a little bit) interested in, asking me when I'm available for a telephone interview with the HOU. It's not really my first choice and I'm deciding whether I should hold out for some of the other units, or just play it safe and go for this one...?? Kind of a conundrum - what do you guys think?? Smile
geewiz

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Hi everyone,

Aneena, if you have that list with the number of stagiaires per DG, it would be very useful.

Mag-da, yes we have similar problems. You say your experience doesn't help for what you want but at least you have a humanistic background which may be interesting. I think my case is a little worse because, besides experience not being very relevant, I also think I don't have that interesting an academic background. But well, let's hope together Wink

Aneena, do you think it is still worth it to lobby during next week? I have just sent my lobbying letter, today, to one DG (but several units). And by the way, when HoUs have 3 names, what's their email address?

Congratulations to all you lucky folk who got calls! I got nothing... Crying or Very sad
alira

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:09 pm
Hey guys,
I just came across this forum and got very surprised to find out that we need to lobby in order to get an internship! Do you think it's too late to start doing it next week?
To Aneena: Do you have any idea how many people are selected in or how tough is the competition for the Trade department? Or Enterprise and Industry? Or Internal Market?
Thanks a lot!!!
Katia

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:31 pm
Hey,

I'm wondering if all DG make selection based on phone interviews? Do you know anything about the selection procedure, if there are people selected without a phone call? It's little bit confusing:)

Kate
mag-da

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:48 pm
Geewiz: well, we have to think positively...however, I've got no calls so far:( I have a small delay in sending some emails (and I'm still not convinced of lobbying) and I'm going to send them tomorrow - hope it's not too late.

Aneena, I've written a message, but I can't see it and I'm not sure if I've sent it, so again thanks for all the info you're providing us with:) I'm interested mostly in DG EMPL, DG JLS and ECHO. Do you know how many stagiares they accept? I would be grateful for your help:)
Alexe

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:46 pm
Hello to everyone!

I have been preselected and lobbied for one of the DGs of my choice. The next day I received a message saying that I will be notified if I am selected. I was wondering whether this is a good or a bad sign... ?
Does it mean that this DG has already selected someone else and is sending out such e-mails to those candidates they are not interested in?

Thank you in advance!
epsofun

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:10 pm
Alexe, I had the same thing, got a reply saying "Thank you for your e-mail and for your interest in carrying out a traineeship in our unit. The applications are currently being examined and you will be contacted in due course if you are selected for a traineeship in our unit".

Not sure at all if this is just standard procedure or if it means you're on a shortlist with a few others...??
Alexe

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:06 pm
Epsofun, thank you for your reply!
Aneena
Aneena

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:34 pm
"Thank you for your e-mail and for your interest in carrying out a traineeship in our unit. The applications are currently being examined and you will be contacted in due course if you are selected for a traineeship in our unit" - this is basically a standard reply to a traineeship request and I wouldn't count much on getting a job there. Better try somewhere else.
Good luck!
Alexe

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:48 pm
Thank you Aneena!
In my case the message was addressed to "Dear Sir" though it should have been to "Dear Madam". So I guess the person who sent the reply had not even opened my attached CV...
fank

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:08 am
Hi, again. Do you think it would be good to contact the head of a DG (in my case the head of Bureau of European Policy Advisers)?
geewiz

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:53 pm
I didn't contact DG Heads, because I thought it would be going too upwards. DG Heads have more on their mind than us... My only option was to email HoUs, given that only them (plus, in some cases, their secretaries and / or sub-Responsibles) have their full name listed. I had problems with the people who had 3 names, because then I didn't know what was their email address in the "first name.surname@ec.europa.eu" format. In two cases I tried all possible combinations and it didn't work.

I sent my lobbying letter on Friday and got no answer (anyway, perhaps it would be expecting too much to get an answer on the very same day), so I think I'll lobby at least another DG during next week - yes mag-da, I think it's worth it, what have we got to lose? Smile

And Aneena, sorry to ask again, but... what about the list with the number of stagiaires? Razz
fank

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:14 pm
Thank you. As for the 3 names try also the dash (-). It will work.
Aneena
Aneena

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:52 am
I wasn't home so I didn't have access to those lists, but I will try to have a look in the evening. 2 of my friends were preselected and they already got a phonecall with a job aoffer last week, so I guess most units already made their choice.
For people with more names use a hyphen - Antonio Jose Gonzales Rodrigues (sounds like a typical Spanish name to me:) would be Antonio-Jose.Golzales-Rodrigues@ and the typical ending. The same with the German/Dutch von/van: Klaus-Jochan.von-Something@
geewiz

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:32 pm
Already made their choice? Oh my... Now that I was beginning to call people... But no one calling me... pale

I found information on the number of people working in each DG, you can see it here: http://ec.europa.eu/civil_service/about/figures/index_en.htm
It may be an indirect indicator of how many stagiaires each DG could accept.

I have also found that you can get many phone numbers at the Commission directory, http://ec.europa.eu/staffdir/plsql/gsys_page.display_index?pLang=EN
xano213

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:15 pm
Aneena, which DGs were your friends at? Can you pls tell us?
Aneena
Aneena

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:11 pm
I don't know, I just met the on the weekend and they said they were offered internships and they are very happy - don't know anything more about that. Just that you should hurry up when contacting people.
krista

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 pm
Does anybody know when would those of us who received calls/offers should expect to get at least an email confirmation for a trainee position?
Aneena
Aneena

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:39 pm
15th of July from what I remember
krista

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:54 pm
agh! more than one month of torture!! any chance of it happening before? Very Happy
Jeannek

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:31 pm
Do you think the secratries of the Units, with which we had the interview, could tell us the outcome of the selection in that particular unit?
Simon

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:37 pm
Hallo! Has anyone heard from DG MARE?
SisBliss

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:05 pm
Hey guys,
I have a question.
Has anyone heard of a "priority period" during which the pre-selected candidate is "reserved" for the DG of his first choice and the other DGs should contact that first choice DG before recruitment?
When is this period over?
What if I don't want to be with the first choice DG but have found something that suits me better?
Thanks for your reply. Hope that lobbying is going well Smile
krista

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:21 am
I only received an CV request by email from AGRI and a call from ECHO. I have no idea about other DG's.

As for the priority period question, I'm not sure, but you might be able to find the answer here: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/education_culture/evalreports/civilsociety/2008/stagereport_en.pdf

Any updates from people about calls, offers, succesful and unsuccesful lobbying?
mareike-e

Congratulations for the preselected! - Page 2 Empty DG Mare

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:25 am
Good morning!

about the DG Mare, I just talked to someone from HR to ask about the "state of affairs". She told me that it is way too early, that they are still busy making lists with adequate candidates, that I shouldn't call ;-), and that it can take a few weeks until the chosen ones are contacted.

Seems to be different with every DG, I also heard that DG Mare did not receive the DBB until end of last week.

I wish luck to everybody!!! take care

Mareike
ciprianb

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:21 pm
Hello guys,

From what I managed to find on the Directorates websites 90 % of all the names that I want to contact for lobbying are like this "R. JONES". SO, what's their e-mail address based on this. r.jones@etc ? Or there a list with their full names somewhere that I can use?

I would really appreciate your help.
krista

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:28 pm
ciprianb wrote:Hello guys,

From what I managed to find on the Directorates websites 90 % of all the names that I want to contact for lobbying are like this "R. JONES". SO, what's their e-mail address based on this. r.jones@etc ? Or there a list with their full names somewhere that I can use?

I would really appreciate your help.

I would google their name. So, if it's R. JONES at X DG at X unit, google "R Jones X unit X DG" and his full name should appear somewhere. Then you would have the right name to use in order to email him.

Good luck!
SisBliss

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:30 pm
@ciprianb: http://ec.europa.eu/staffdir/plsql/gsys_tel.display_search?pLang=EN
Here you have the directory and you can search by name, by DG etc... You also have their phone numbers there.

E mailin: Name.surname@ec.europa.eu

@karla007: Thanks for your reply I have checked it out, but it just says "priority period", so I don t really have an answer. We ll see.

I had an interview so far, with last choice DG, but I really want the job, so I have to wait, they said they ll be coming back soon. It was nice interview, they were selling me the job, not really specific questions abt substance. More like abt my past activities interests etc...

Otherwise - two refusal after e-mailing, the units have already selected other pple.

Good luck, fingers crossed for all.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum