Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General discussion for October 2012

+92
kaxia
Nika
europeana
Belle86
A_Lina
Alecca2u
FS
pocahontas
zungol
Inna
ocecon
Bazylia
zeko
Davidoff
Wave_brx
mb
_Alexander_
shypt
cloudy
risinmojo
ann_soph
Katko
mia_
scholar
GarthAlgar
Luna77
Daiana
arrdis
mermaid123
RebeccaR
bocho
ea0154
ilonaLV
polsky
grrr_v
Lauinmad
kaplaine
Marcanum
Aaron_
prek
fibica
montenegrina
srgold
oanaM
lutraka
piccola
mrsmith4
ivotsonev
specterina
marco1
Joan85
marth
n_one
bea***
ovca
beerchen
laplbn
alexcraciun
dicearco
imbroglio
marina.eva
dori_
nas
Jnster
hal9000
corrakdeniz
jaimesawyer
KateB
Dranklaw
GLDFSH
lulu
laure1985
KOGI
sb_ba
simona82
gaza
missjustice
zeepaardje7
Silvy_Cro
Aneena
SonjaK
Mali
ChristinaW
kudi
davor
hipersons
Tally
raluca
Montecito08
ready4everything
giulia22
saeyphi
96 posters
Go down

General discussion for October 2012 Empty General discussion for October 2012

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:13 am
Ok people, I know it's early... But we should start exchanging experianses and sotries about this...

So, who's applying?!

Welcome! cheers
saeyphi
http://www.philles.be

General discussion for October 2012 Empty Re: General discussion for October 2012

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:02 pm
Very early indeed Smile But I have already decided to apply, so I might as well respond Wink

General discussion for October 2012 Empty Re: General discussion for October 2012

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:06 pm
Finally someone! Smile Do you have any preferred DG or ...?
saeyphi

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:44 pm
I'm sure more will follow eventually Smile Otherwise it will be very easy to get selected, without any competition Wink

I'm currently still researching all the DG's in detail and matching them with my interests and background, so nothing definite yet. But I do have three DG's that I think are very interesting, so they're probably going to be my choices. They are INFSO, DIGIT and ENTR (in order of preference). You?

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:44 pm
hahahaha... that would be awesome if only us two apply Smile

Nice choice, so you studied something in IT, computer science... and similar...

I am still not sure... I study economics, so it will be something related to that. You are already in Brussels as I can see?
saeyphi

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:58 pm
Yes, I study business engineering in management information systems, which combines business and IT skills. It's an excellent basis for INFSO and DIGIT Smile

Some advice: from what I've seen on this forum and other websites you need to have a solid ground for your choices and ranking, so choose carefully.

I am lucky to actually be a Belgian, so I live quite near Brussels (relatively speaking). I don't know if that will be of *any* importance though Smile
giulia22

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:09 pm
Hey guys!

I am applying as well. I am currently taking an MSc in Law & Accounting at the London School of Economics.

I am Swiss and Italian, hopefully they'll like the mix. I lived in China for a bit and speak some Mandarin, would love to put that to use.

Still researching DG's.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:22 pm
Woohoo... another one Smile

Well, I am planning.... and I think I will make a mix of my studies, work experiences (which is not so big) and my wished... and choose DGs.

Oh, so you are close to Brussels... so, do you have any inside information? Smile

BTW, I wrote them like a month ago, and they haven't replied me... maybe they are not replying until the process is not reopened???

Welcome giulia!
giulia22

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:35 pm
I have NO inside information whatsoever, sorry!

I have just started thinking about the application process as all my classmates are applying to law firms and banks but...

I am more Government oriented! In fact, most of the elective courses I picked this year are regulation based.

My very first choice of DG is EEAS (European External Action Service), I have to see what else would be cool to do.
saeyphi

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 pm
Inside information, let me see... Wink

Unfortunately, no. I have been to the European parliament and have seen the European quarter (and brought back a ridiculous amount of booklets and brochures from their information office), but I can't really say I know what's going on inside. All I know is what I found on the internet here and there.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:01 am
What about contacting them? Have you tried recently? Any response? As I already said, I wrote them like a month ago, and they haven't replied me. Maybe they are not replying until the process is not reopened
saeyphi

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:33 am
I haven't contacted them yet. I'd first like to decide on the DG's and my motivation for them. After that I'll try and contact them. It could be they're only answering questions for the March 2012 batch at the moment or that you sent it to the wrong department and it got lost as they send it somewhere else. If I contact them, I'll let you know.
giulia22

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:08 am
I think I am going to contact someone at the EEAS soon as well.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:23 pm
Yes, sounds reasonable. I did contacted them really early, and they did replied to me, but than the application period for March 2012 was still open. But I did not contacted any specific DG, just office for general info.

Anyways...

About DG... I think, besides our wished and educational and working background, we should also think to be more reasonable... and maybe include some DG that are not the most popular ones, and with that get more chances to get in. You know what I mean?

As giulia said that her first choice is EEAS, I also read here and other pages, that EEAS may be one of the most popular ones!
giulia22

Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:34 pm
That is a very good point. Which do you think are the least popular?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:45 pm
Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Very Happy Smile
saeyphi

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:54 pm
I'd be careful with that. It's more of a matching process than a popularity contest. It won't do any good to pick a less popular DG if you have no relevant skills or background that they can use. Just pick the DG's you are most motivated for and for which you have the best background, then try to find ways to make you stand out. If you have a skill or profile that is special or unique in a particular way and which would interest them, make sure that gets noted.

That's what I'll do anyways. It's still an internship, you have to learn something relevant from it. I have no interest in working for the European Commission in a domain that does not interest me.

I just about finished my research in the DG's and writing down my motivation for each one, so I think I'll contact them soon. See what they're looking for and what they have in store for the applicants.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:51 am
Yes, you are right... of course you have to take in consideration when you applying your wished, and what you are interested in. It does not make any sense to apply to work somewhere if you don't have any interests in that field.

So yo going to contact the DGs directly? I think that's good idea. BTW you mentioned motivation latterS!? So you wrote 3 different motivation letters? I was thinking it should be only one?
saeyphi

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
No, no, I wrote only one motivation letter, but in that letter I will briefly explain my motivation for each choice.

I am going to try and contact the DG's directly, yes. After all, they are the ones who choose the applicants and their tasks.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:05 pm
Yes, good thinking...

I should also contact DGs... so far I have six preferred, so I have to decide soon which three.

I did not ask so far... what about languages? Which one do you speak and have certificates.
saeyphi

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:13 pm
I speak Dutch (native language) and English very well. I also speak French and German, but less fluent than English. I'm applying in English. And I also know the basics of Finnish, but that will not help me much I think Wink

I have proof I followed language courses form my university, that's all. It suffices I think.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:17 pm
Yes that is enough, I asked them. My native language is not (unfortunately) official language of EU, (Serbian) but I have proficiency in English (and I am applying with it), and also my Italian is let's say good. My German is also getting better, now I am like A2/B1. Also I have some basic knowledge of French.

For all those I have proof.

But I speak also Spanish, but unfortunately I don't have any certificates... winch is the shame...
ready4everything

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:29 pm
mdenic85 wrote:BTW you mentioned motivation latterS!? So you wrote 3 different motivation letters? I was thinking it should be only one?

There's one general personal statement, then shorter motivational briefs for each chosen DGs and finally a paragraph explaining your choice of employment area..
It wouldn't be very wise to repeat same things in all of them, so I'd say it actually is more like 4-5 motivational letters (depends on how many DGs are targeted) rather than one.
saeyphi

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:39 pm
That's in the application form you have to fill out? Because I was talking about an actual, separate letter to include in the application dossier.
Montecito08

Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:21 pm
Don't think they will read that. They will focus on your online application first; make sure that your motivations for the three DGs are distinct from each other, since the DGs are able to see the full dossier. So no copy-paste there!

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:37 pm
Oh, thanks guys... I did not know that is going to look like that... They still haven't open the application process, so I don't know the whole thing.
saeyphi

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:05 pm
I sent an e-mail to my three preferred DG's last week and so far only one has replied. They referred me to the general website of the Traineeships office, but they also forwarded my e-mail to their own HR department. So if you're going to contact them, try to find the e-mailaddress of their HR department. I would have done the same, but I wasn't sure if their own HR dept. had anything to do with it.

I guess now I'll have to wait some more.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:46 pm
Actually, I sent email last week to two DGs (I still cannot deiced which one to put as my third choice). I got reply tomorrow morning from ECFIN, and I have to say that responded to all my question, and sent me trally long email. I was really surprised. After couple of day I got from another one, Enlargement... and found out that I cannot apply for Enlargement since I would be in conflict of interest, because I have citizenship of a acceding country. So now, I have to figure out new DGs.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:46 pm
Hi guys... discussion for October 2012 is not so active, discussion for March 2012 is on fire! Smile

Anyways I wanted to ask did anyone tried to cocntact Directorate-General for Budget and Secretariat-General of the EC?

I contacted Budget DG but U haven't got any response, and has been days...
And about Secretariat-General, I cannot find any functional way to contact them... broken links, no emails...

Any experience with this???

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm
It's started!

I don't get from the application form... there do we get to choose 3 DGs? Either I don't see it or that we pick later.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum