Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
n_one

DGT October 2012 Traineeship Empty DGT October 2012 Traineeship

Wed May 23, 2012 2:51 pm
Hi all!
I decided to crate this new topic since there is not much info on the DGT selection process so far, and I´m sure I´m not the only one who applied for this DG! Laughing
As you know, he selection process is totally different from the one for the other DG since there isn´t any pre-selection.
Has anyone applying for a Translation traneeship got any news so far?? I know they have time till mid-July, but I´m sure they start contacting the candidates before... Maybe the rejected ones first... confused
Any experience from last years? Rolling Eyes
Thanks for your answers! And good luck!! cheers
vpetrova

DGT October 2012 Traineeship Empty Re: DGT October 2012 Traineeship

Thu May 31, 2012 7:21 pm
Hi there Smile
I applied for the Translation traineeship as well. Actually I received a phone call yesterday - they called to inform me that I have been selected cheers woehoe Then I also received an email to which I had to reply and confirm my acceptance. This is the second time that I apply for a Translation traineeship. The first time I was not selected and all I got was an email, no phone call. Of course, they cannot contact all of the thousands of applicants.
However, as you said, there is a loooot of time till mid-July. So do not lose hope and good luck to you, too! Very Happy
n_one

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:55 am
Hi vpetrova!

Thanks for your answer and congratulations! I began to think that I was the only one applicant for the DGT this year! Laughing As you have been selected... may I ask you a couple of things... Smile which unit have you been selected for (your mother tongue I guess) and which combination you have? Do you have a lot of translation experience? I don´t really know if this is important for them in their choice... And, what did you change (or what new experience you added) this time in relation to the first time when you were not selected?
It´s great that you tried again and they selected you! Very Happy
oh! and where are you going to, Brussels or Luxemburg?

Thanks for your answers and congratulations again!
vpetrova

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:57 am
Hi again Smile

Thanks, I still cannot believe that I have actually been selected. I hope it's not some sort of a sick prank call or something. Suspect Very Happy

Back to the point now. The unit I have been selected for is DGT.B.BG.02 (Technology, research, economics and natural resources). My mother tongue is Bulgarian, my first target language is English and my second target language is German. I am going to Luxembourg by the way. About the experience - I have no professional translation experience whatsoever. Obviously, it is not that important for a traineeship at the DGT, I mean I have no translation experience and yet I have been selected. However, my both degrees are translation related - I have a bachelor's degree in Applied Linguistics (with English and German) and a master's degree in Translatology (again with English and German). I have also taken part in the Erasmus programme but I think I didn't put it in the application form because I didn't have a special certificate stating that I have done it and I didn't have time to contact the university in Germany.

What changed this time is that I didn't apply at the last moment Very Happy The first time I applied I did everything literally at the last moment, like a few days before the deadline. Evil or Very Mad So I didn't have time to get my European Supplement to the Diploma from my university (it takes about a month) and I only sent my Bulgarian diploma without the supplement. I suppose they considered my application incomplete. This must be the reason because nothing really changed since then. Well, I did finish my master's degree but one can also apply if their studies are still ongoing. Probably another reason is that this time I put more effort in the motivation part. What a Face

And what about you? What is your language combination? I'm curious because mine is actually nothing special. German - ok, but English? Everybody speaks English. Yes, it matters how well you speak it but still - come on, everybody speaks English Very Happy I started learning Dutch as I moved to the Netherlands a few months ago but it's kind of difficult when you do it at home, by yourself. Very Happy

minnie mouse

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:36 pm
Congratulations to those of you selected! I did a traineeship at DGT myself a while ago and it was a great experience.

Regarding your language combinations: I don't think they would ever accept anyone without English. Everybody speaks English, true. Which means everybody writes English, and then somebody had to translate it into other languages. I'd say at least 90% of what what DGT does is translating from English.
90% of the remaining 10% would be French.
To tell the truth, German is not exactly considered interesting at the Commission - my fellow trainee had German as her second source language, and she asked many times to get something to translate from German. In the end she did get one page, but they had nothing more to give to her.

Also, in 99% of cases your target language will equal your monther tongue. It is extremely rare to translate into a foreign language at the Commission. When I was there, it didn't happen at all, because the workload was too heavy for my department to be able to help the English unit.

And finally, regarding your profile and experience: don't really bother too much Wink There are trainees at DGT who had had three years of professional experience before getting the traineeship, there are others who seem to be randomly selected. C'est la vie.

But if you are given a chance, enjoy it! But I'm sure you will.
n_one

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:27 pm
Hi there!

vpetrova and minnie mouse, thanks for your answers! Smile

My mother tongue is Spanish, and my source languages are English, French and Polish. By now I have had no news, I guess it depends on the language units... It´s the first time I apply, so I have no idea how it goes with the selection. But I hope they don´t wait till the last days.. Smile

Any one out there has also gotten any news? Smile What about people with Spanish as mother tongue? Rolling Eyes Wink

Thanks for your answers and good luck!
imbroglio

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:13 pm
Hello!

Congratulations eveyone who has been selected!

I was told I was offered a stagiere placement back in Febuary, which came as a shock because I just received a confirmation email - no interview or phone call or anything.

My languages are English,Irish and French. French would be my weakest language at the moment, so I've been taking lessons and studying for the past few months!

I'm still a bit confused about where in Brussels I should live, and also, about organising health insurance. It says in the info pack that if you can't get private medical insurance, then you can be covered for €12 a month by Van Breda. Does anyone know if you can choose this option, or do you have to have a valid reason why you CAN'T get other medical insurance?

I've received and returned my contract recently also, so it is all getting 'more real' as October approaches! Hopefully I will see you all over there!
beerchen

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:47 pm
I haven't received anything ergarding the October 2012 traineeship. Does that mean I'm not preselected? Where can i view the statistics for DGT (pre)selection?
mermaid123

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:32 pm
beerchen wrote:I haven't received anything ergarding the October 2012 traineeship. Does that mean I'm not preselected? Where can i view the statistics for DGT (pre)selection?

You should have received an email regarding Preselection results, stating that you have either passed that phase or not (this was sent out at late-May)

Concerning Selection results, the official emails from the TO have not been released yet.

On the TO website there are only statistics on total application for this session, nothing more.
beerchen

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 pm
thank you.

i didn't receive anything regarding preselection.

there goes all my hope.
mermaid123

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:39 pm
beerchen wrote:thank you.

i didn't receive anything regarding preselection.

there goes all my hope.

Well, you should have!!!! The TO sends out preselection emails in both cases (passed/rejected). I suggest you check your spambox or contact the TO directly (although it's kinda late for any lobby-related activities at this moment Sad)

And even if you've not passed Eligibility, you should have received something. In short, you definitely have to receive any kind of correspondence from the TO up till now! Sad

beerchen

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:40 pm
I will contact them immediately...thank you Sad
mermaid123

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:45 pm
beerchen wrote:I will contact them immediately...thank you Sad

Oooooooo sorryyyyyyy I didnt notice. You're applying for DGT which does not have a preselection phase. Sorryyyyyyyyy!!! I guess you'll have to wait for final Selection. Oopsssssss
beerchen

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:47 pm
I already contacted them now. silent
okay, so, tell me about DGT - they don't have the preselection phase? so when can i find out if i was selected? do you know anything about it?
mermaid123

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:48 pm
It's all on the TO website!!!
beerchen

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:45 pm
anyone else received the e-mail/call from DGT?
minnie mouse

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:54 am
beerchen wrote:okay, so, tell me about DGT - they don't have the preselection phase? so when can i find out if i was selected? do you know anything about it?
A very nice lady from HR at DGT Brussels calls all selected candidates and mails them asking to confirm that they are still interested, and if so you then get all official stuff from the TO.

If you are not selected, you just get an official rejection mail from the TO.
Davidoff

Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:53 pm
Hi,

Condratulations everyone.

Unfortunately, I was not selected. I sent about 20 lobby e-mails mostly to DG Transport and Mobility HoUs but they did not contact me. My education and backgrouns is transport. So I am very interesting to do my traineeships in that DG.

I have been participating in the traineeships program since 2009. I was selected in 2010 by INFSO ICT for Transport bur due to some urgent matters my company did not allow me go and I declined the offer. Since than I do not receive selection e-mail.

Could someone explain what should I do in that case?

After all, I am still thinking to send new apllication ))

floflo

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:18 pm
minnie mouse wrote:
beerchen wrote:okay, so, tell me about DGT - they don't have the preselection phase? so when can i find out if i was selected? do you know anything about it?
A very nice lady from HR at DGT Brussels calls all selected candidates and mails them asking to confirm that they are still interested, and if so you then get all official stuff from the TO.

If you are not selected, you just get an official rejection mail from the TO.

I couldn't have said it better! It was exactly the same for me. In which department are you?
Kasia

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:57 pm
Hello everyone,

Congratulations to those who have been selected and lots of luck to those who're still waiting for reply! Smile

I'm from Poland and I was chosen for DGT in Luxembourg. However, I haven't received my contract yet so it's making it difficult to look for accommodation. What about you?
Hope to meet you in October Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum