Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EC Traineeship March 2018

+91
WeReAllInThisTogether
kovt
Nat_nat
Karllst44
alex4us
OleSea
a.kuba
jtrindade
Guido94
chanipie
Hanna Montana
trajkovski23
Alexofeurope
anxious applicant
Nicpapac
charlieh
gabi
Ba_beach
kgzs
Luciasb
Yrokep
Regulation5
ptheo
waitingyes
lilkd
Julita
Marrow
Inferio
Nejck
giogio
Imogen
tomas333
jazz
nadine91
lei
MiguelB
Kakiedo_
zdr123
freddiem
lili
Andrea12
kateq15
felvgs
ELV
maria12@
jesss139
lavil
vitSvit
yogiyo
DanielaT93
ehoward
Ale__Ma
EuroIntern
ireland93
clmclara
deepblue91
stefani90
KL01
VerAnt
epa
dekey
brrrknstock
GrVT
hugoferram
b474
mp999
l.one
oldy
ACC
lesley77
hl5
boradoli
Rina54
LM8
s_i_f
Nevermind91
bliebla
luduf
Lisa93
nomedellarosa
Efi
5kova
beamendes95
Sante
ds19
jddcorte
Kristina M.
dilyanai
gerda666
andreeamaria
rzvr
95 posters
Go down
zdr123

EC Traineeship March 2018 - Page 9 Empty Re: EC Traineeship March 2018

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:16 pm
Ale__Ma wrote:I just received an offer !!!!!!! cannot believe!!! OMG !!  So happy cheers cheers
Jumping like a crazy one
Good luck for everyone !!

Congrats Smile

But maybe you received an offer from the Parliament, not from the Commission?
Ale__Ma

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:14 pm
zdr123 wrote:
Ale__Ma wrote:I just received an offer !!!!!!! cannot believe!!! OMG !!  So happy cheers cheers
Jumping like a crazy one
Good luck for everyone !!

Congrats Smile

But maybe you received an offer from the Parliament, not from the Commission?
Thanks, Yes! I mixed the groups because of happiness
Good luck for everyone and maybe see you in Brussels Smile
hl5

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:21 pm
Can everybody give me a bit of advice? I just received an official offer from the European Parliament and I have 3 days to confirm it. As I also applied to the BB traineeship I was interviewed and offered a traineeship at the Commission as well.. Now I am a bit torn - what should I do? Would it be very rude to tell the Parliament that I am accepting their offer and later cancel it? Would there be any consequences for me? When I received the offer from the Commission the email pointed out that only the traineeship will do the official offer. What could go wrong though? Since the unit already chose me :/

Also. I am wondering which of the traineeships would be better for my career and future. I know it depends on which DG are you working in etc. But in general? I have heard that the Blue Book traineeship is considered more prestigious. Is it correct?

Thanks a lot guys!
dekey

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:31 pm
ireland93 wrote:
lili wrote:
Andrea12 wrote:

There is a way! Traineeships office can actually change your application. If you have been 'reserved' by a DG which wasn't in your initial preferences but which you prefer now, you can ask the Traineeships office to change your preferences!

Those preferences are very important! Any DG that wants to select you but is not in your preference list, does not have a chance of getting you, unless they are the only ones that selected you. I.e.your preferred DGs have a priority in selecting you. So if your preferences have changed and you know a DG really wants to select you, I suggest calling/emailing them saying you would like to change the preference so that they have the first hand in selecting you.

I hope it works out for you!
Best of luck!

Heyyy! Very Happy I emailed the traineeship office asking to change my preferences and I was told quite bluntly (they were a bit rude tbh) that this was not possible and that if I get selected by a preferred DG I could either take it or leave it Shocked

Anyone else had any luck with this? I already have an offer I want and have accepted...i'm worried some unit which has made zero contact with me, that I previously listed as a preferred DG, could swoop in and disrupt my current offer Evil or Very Mad

You should be able to change your preference. It is a take it or leave it thing once they send you the official offer. Have you tried to ask the Dg that offered you a place to whom they have directed your name? that is the traineeship office you need to contact and ask them to change your order of preference in the BB.
jesss139

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:21 pm
Hey guys. I was confused about my status before and I sent an email to the unit who asked me to confirm the interest. Then I got the best news so far that they have chosen me. All I need to do is to wait for the official offer from the TO. Good luck guys! P.S. I'm a non-EU so the official offer will come later than others.
ireland93

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:35 am
dekey wrote:
ireland93 wrote:
lili wrote:
Andrea12 wrote:

There is a way! Traineeships office can actually change your application. If you have been 'reserved' by a DG which wasn't in your initial preferences but which you prefer now, you can ask the Traineeships office to change your preferences!

Those preferences are very important! Any DG that wants to select you but is not in your preference list, does not have a chance of getting you, unless they are the only ones that selected you. I.e.your preferred DGs have a priority in selecting you. So if your preferences have changed and you know a DG really wants to select you, I suggest calling/emailing them saying you would like to change the preference so that they have the first hand in selecting you.

Best of luck!

Heyyy! Very Happy I emailed the traineeship office asking to change my preferences and I was told quite bluntly (they were a bit rude tbh) that this was not possible and that if I get selected by a preferred DG I could either take it or leave it Shocked

Anyone else had any luck with this? I already have an offer I want and have accepted...i'm worried some unit which has made zero contact with me, that I previously listed as a preferred DG, could swoop in and disrupt my current offer Evil or Very Mad

You should be able to change your preference. It is a take it or leave it thing once they send you the official offer. Have you tried to ask the Dg that offered you a place to whom they have directed your name? that is the traineeship office you need to contact and ask them to change your order of preference in the BB.

Have you heard of anyone doing so successfully?

I am actually really annoyed with the Traineeship Office...they were quite rude about it in their email and seemed to ignore common sense for the sake of mindless bureaucracy Mad

I don't see why I can't change my preferences, espcially at this stage before any official offers are sent out and when I have mutually agreed to work with a specific unit due to my suitable background.

Do you think my DG could help? I didn't want to scare them by imposing my worry of my traineeship being hijacked pale
lili

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:25 am
ireland93 wrote:
dekey wrote:
ireland93 wrote:
lili wrote:
Andrea12 wrote:

Best of luck!

I am actually really annoyed with the Traineeship Office...they were quite rude about it in their email and seemed to ignore common sense for the sake of mindless bureaucracy Mad  

I don't see why I can't change my preferences, espcially at this stage before any official offers are sent out and when I have mutually agreed to work with a specific unit due to my suitable background.

Do you think my DG could help? I didn't want to scare them by imposing my worry of my traineeship being hijacked pale

Probably the best bet is to kindly ask the DG to ask the Traineeships office to change the preference so that they can get you....

I know a person who successfully changed the priorities (so it is possible) but that was few years back.
Kakiedo_

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 am
ireland93 wrote:
dekey wrote:
ireland93 wrote:
lili wrote:
Andrea12 wrote:

Best of luck!

Hi! I was able to change my preferences back in December. I got an offer from my second choice and while I am 99% sure my first choice hasnt booked me without asking, I wanted to be sure I would be able to get the offer. So I emailed them and they noted my change and confirmed I had been booked for the second DG (now first).
I reckon they are overwhelmed now after the holidays and trying to fit us all in the system, so it is unfortunate they were rude to you. Sad
Hope it works out!
ireland93

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 am
Kakiedo_ wrote:
ireland93 wrote:
dekey wrote:
ireland93 wrote:
lili wrote:
Andrea12 wrote:

Hi! I was able to change my preferences back in December. I got an offer from my second choice and while I am 99% sure my first choice hasnt booked me without asking, I wanted to be sure I would be able to get the offer. So I emailed them and they noted my change and confirmed I had been booked for the second DG (now first).
I reckon they are overwhelmed now after the holidays and trying to fit us all in the system, so it is unfortunate they were rude to you. Sad
Hope it works out!

Thank you so much for your reply!!! Smile We were both trying to do exactly the same thing...trying to make sure a second unit didn't book us and disrupt our offers. It seems like maybe my request was just read by the wrong person and they felt particularly harsh.

Would it be ok if I ask you to PM me the basic outline of what you sent in your email so that I may try different wording??? also which email address did you send your email too?

Thank you!! Very Happy
Kakiedo_

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:45 am
ireland93 wrote:
Kakiedo_ wrote:
ireland93 wrote:
dekey wrote:
ireland93 wrote:
lili wrote:

Hope it works out!

Thank you so much for your reply!!! Smile We were both trying to do exactly the same thing...trying to make sure a second unit didn't book us and disrupt our offers. It seems like maybe my request was just read by the wrong person and they felt particularly harsh.

Would it be ok if I ask you to PM me the basic outline of what you sent in your email so that I may try different wording??? also which email address did you send your email too?

Thank you!!  Very Happy

Done!
ehoward

EC Traineeship March 2018 - Page 9 Empty Selected by First choice but wanting to change to second

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:24 pm
Kakiedo_ wrote:
ireland93 wrote:
Kakiedo_ wrote:
ireland93 wrote:
dekey wrote:
ireland93 wrote:
lili wrote:

Hope it works out!

Thank you!!  Very Happy

Done!

Hi, I have the same problem - I didn't change my priorities for the Bluebook in December (even though my 2nd choice showed interest in me) as I had understood that we were unable to do so at any point. Now I've been selected for my 1st choice (this is what they've told me in their email, anyway), whereas I really actually wanted my 2nd choice (who'd told me they were interested in me). Two days ago my 2nd choice told me they were still interested in me and that they had a place available. I got in touch with both 1st and 2nd choice, managed to convince the 1st choice to liberate me from the list so the 2nd could book me, and then it was all blocked by the Traineeships Office, who decided not to authorise it.

I'm now in two minds as to whether to actually even accept the offer, as it doesn't correspond exactly with my career choice for afterwards, and try applying again for October.

Has anyone ever managed to change the options this late? And have any of you ever rejected an offer, reapplied for the next session and been selected again?
gerda666

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 pm
Hey, guys,

Is there anyone who received any official/unofficial offer from DG COMP? I haven't heard anything from them (incl. no reply/ not even automatic response to a couple of my lobbying e-mails). I am just trying to get a realistic picture of my chances here. Thanks!

deepblue91

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:43 pm
gerda666 wrote:Hey, guys,

Is there anyone who received any official/unofficial offer from DG COMP? I haven't heard anything from them (incl. no reply/ not even automatic response to a couple of my lobbying e-mails). I am just trying to get a realistic picture of my chances here. Thanks!

I'm wondering the same thing about DG TRADE, if anyone here's heard from them.
l.one

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:00 pm
Hello! Any unlucky Non-EUs like me who have never been contacted by any DG?
I lobbied a lot, and got a few "thank you for your message, it has been forwarded to the relevant services" messages but other than that nothing: no calls, no offers. But all of the emails had this at the bottom:

For your information, please find below the schedule for the selection of this traineeship round:

SELECTION BY DG: December 2017-January 2018
Results of selection: end of January 2018
Sending of offers: end of January 2018

By that I understand that there is still a slight chance that the ones who have not heard anything yet, might get an offer in the end of January. But almost everyone here on this forum already received offers in December or heard about at least being shortlisted. Do you think it is over for the ones who have not heard anything yet and we should forget about the traineeship?
oldy

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 pm
l.one wrote:Hello! Any unlucky Non-EUs like me who have never been contacted by any DG?
I lobbied a lot, and got a few "thank you for your message, it has been forwarded to the relevant services" messages but other than that nothing: no calls, no offers. But all of the emails had this at the bottom:  

For your information, please find below the schedule for the selection of this traineeship round:

By that I understand that there is still a slight chance that the ones who have not heard anything yet, might get an offer in the end of January. But almost everyone here on this forum already received offers in December or heard about at least being shortlisted. Do you think it is over for the ones who have not heard anything yet and we should forget about the traineeship?

Hi, welcome to the club, so to say... same story, not a single word from the guys in Brussels.. Don't know if it is possible even approximately to estimate the chances, but I don't think it's a good sign (keep my fingers crossed though)). I just think that if I were them I'd want to contact in advance the most promising candidates instead of buying a pig in poke...

Which DG's you indicated in the application?
vitSvit

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 pm
oldy wrote:
l.one wrote:Hello! Any unlucky Non-EUs like me who have never been contacted by any DG?

Hi, welcome to the club, so to say... same story, not a single word from the guys in Brussels.. Don't know if it is possible even approximately to estimate the chances, but I don't think it's a good sign (keep my fingers crossed though)). I just think that if I were them I'd want to contact in advance the most promising candidates instead of buying a pig in poke...

1. yep, I understand you pretty well. I'm also non-EU and its my second time. The first time for this autumn session I was also pre-selected.I was lobbying a lot but in the very end - when all the positions were occupied. This time I was also lobbying (5-6 emails) earlier specifically to the units that I really want - and, luckily, I got onw positive respond that they are interested in my application for the march session. So, I hope everything will be fine.
2. The main problem for non-EU is to apply for a visa, as the preparation of documents take time. Thus, if you really believe that you are taken - gather documents earlier.
3. For non-EU it is even better, I think, to have this internship as the chances to be taken in lower. Thus, the value of the internship is higher. THerefore, if you are not taken now - apply next time for sure ! And I would advice to lobby (next time, this time I think that is indeed too late. SOmetimes they send some late invitations but usually it concerns EU citizens as they do not require visa), even though some people are getting offers without any prior communications.
l.one

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 pm
I totally agree with your logic. But there is still hope, I guess. I've read a few old posts on this forum for 2015, 2016, etc. and there were MANY who just like us thought they were out and had no calls, no offer whatsoever but received the offer in the end. And by the way, many of those who were contacted said that the interviews were quite informal with "are you interested in working for us?" type of questions. So maybe, if we've lobbied and demonstrated our interest in working with them and explained why, some DGs don't see a point to contact back to ask the same question that we explained in our lobbying emails and they just book us without contacting.

There are 2000 of us in BB, and approximately 650 will be chosen. I mean, one out of three/four applicants are selected. And as far as I can see they normally shortlist at least 3-4 people for interview per each department. By that logic, at least everyone should have gotten a call. Not an offer but at least a call. They would have been at least 3rd or 4th on the shortlist. Even if they are not selected eventually, the probability of being contacted either by email or call should have been very very high for each applicant. And not receiving any call is strange. I mean, my profile wasn't that bad for not being shortlisted at least as 3rd or 4th candidate. I mean if we were so "not relevant" as to not receive even one call or email from any department, and we were that "far" from what they're looking for in an "ideal trainee", what was the point of even including us to BB.

Sad situation but hope dies last.

DG RTD, DG NEAR, DG COMM.
l.one

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:58 pm
vitSvit wrote:
oldy wrote:

1. yep, I understand you pretty well. I'm also non-EU and its my second time. The first time for this autumn session I was also pre-selected.I was lobbying a lot but in the very end - when all the positions were occupied. This time I was also lobbying (5-6 emails) earlier specifically to the units that I really want - and, luckily, I got onw positive respond that they are interested in my application for the march session. So, I hope everything will be fine.
2. The main problem for non-EU is to apply for a visa, as the preparation of documents take time. Thus, if you really believe that you are taken - gather documents earlier.
3. For non-EU it is even better, I think, to have this internship as the chances to be taken in lower. Thus, the value of the internship is higher. THerefore, if you are not taken now - apply next time for sure ! And I would advice to lobby (next time, this time I think that is indeed too late. SOmetimes they send some late invitations but usually it concerns EU citizens as they do not require visa), even though some people are getting offers without any prior communications.

Congratulations! At least the fact that some Non-EUs do really get offers is promising. I'll apply again but it's sad to get this far and then start it all over again. And maybe this time I don't even make it to BB again.
l.one

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 pm
oldy wrote:

I totally agree with your logic. But there is still hope, I guess. I've read a few old posts on this forum for 2015, 2016, etc. and there were MANY who just like us thought they were out and had no calls, no offer whatsoever but received the offer in the end. And by the way, many of those who were contacted said that the interviews were quite informal with "are you interested in working for us?" type of questions. So maybe, if we've lobbied and demonstrated our interest in working with them and explained why, some DGs don't see a point to contact back to ask the same question that we explained in our lobbying emails and they just book us without contacting.

There are 2000 of us in BB, and approximately 650 will be chosen. I mean, one out of three/four applicants are selected. And as far as I can see they normally shortlist at least 3-4 people for interview per each department. By that logic, at least everyone should have gotten a call. Not an offer but at least a call. They would have been at least 3rd or 4th on the shortlist. Even if they are not selected eventually, the probability of being contacted either by email or call should have been very very high for each applicant. And not receiving any call is strange. I mean, my profile wasn't that bad for not being shortlisted at least as 3rd or 4th candidate. I mean if we were so "not relevant" as to not receive even one call or email from any department, and we were that "far" from what they're looking for in an "ideal trainee", what was the point of even including us to BB.

WeReAllInThisTogether

EC Traineeship March 2018 - Page 9 Empty @MiguelB

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 am
"Hi, to whom at EPSC did you sent the email and to whom did they redirected your email? EPSC is also one of my preferred DGs and I sent them an email around the 13 or 14th of December but I never received a reply. "

I sent my email to Ms. Elisabeth Ardaillon Poirier the head of the Outreach and Communication Team, and she only wrote "I am forwarding your email to the unit in charge." And I don't see any other email in copy.
gerda666

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 pm
l.one wrote:
oldy wrote:

There is still a chance. Let us wait and see Smile Some DGs are more popular than others and accept a different number of trainees per session e.g. DG COMM, Legal Services, EEAS, so there is no equal distribution and there are no four or five applicants for each of their units/positions but probably much more. How applicants order their preferred DGs also matter, so it is quite possible we are not in anyone's top 3-4 choice. Also some applicants are contacted by more than one DG. However, does not mean our applications are irrelevant. Smile It was an interesting experience to apply for this traineeship, though.
yogiyo

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:17 am
FYI I got (unofficial) confirmation from my DG that they were able to secure me for the traineeship on Friday!!!!
waitingyes

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:04 pm
Hi all,

I have a question regarding my application. In December, I got a phone call by a DG asking if I was still available and interested in a position at their DG, after which they mostly talked about why I was an interesting candidate for the position and what the traineeship would look like. I told them I was interested and they told me they might see me in Brussels in March, but that this was not an official offer and that the final decision would be made by the central level in January. Since then I am not sure if I can assume that I have been chosen, or if this just means I am on some sort of list. It did not really feel like an interview, as it was more them offering and introducing a position to me.

That same evening, I received another two phone calls while I was doing sports, so I missed them. I did not receive any calls the day after. Did anybody else have this and know what this means?

I would like to hear about your experiences and get more information on if I should still be worried or if it seems I have been selected and just need to wait for the final offer?

Thank you all and good luck!! Smile
kateq15

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:10 pm
hi @waitingyes, I had exactly the same situation as you did: I got a call about the internship telling everything what u have been told. Since then I also did not get any other calls/emails/anything. And now I am just impatiently waiting for either an offer or a rejection. This whole recruitment process is really unclear
yogiyo

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:17 pm
kateq15 wrote:hi @waitingyes, I had exactly the same situation as you did: I got a call about the internship telling everything what u have been told. Since then I also did not get any other calls/emails/anything. And now I am just impatiently waiting for either an offer or a rejection. This whole recruitment process is really unclear

Basically the phonecall that you received was the interview. The central office gave out confirmation to the DGs who got their first choice last week.

Over the next two weeks, the DGs who did not get their first choice, will be racing to fill their vacancies with any of their top choices who were not assigned.

I'm not sure whether any DGs would be able to tell you whether or not they have you if you contact them, as they may still be working on getting you!

You may also have been chosen by a DG without being 'interviewed' or contacted in any way.

Good luck everyone!!!
ELV

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:40 am
@yogiyo

Would you suggest to contact again the DG which have interviewed us and ask at which stage are we with the selection process (so that we demonstrate that we are still very interested) or should we just wait?

It is very stressful and frustrating to wait without being able to do anything Mad

many thanks!

Inferio

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:06 pm
gerda666 wrote:Hey, guys,

DG COMP called me today to confirm my placement. Don't know about the other units tho.
kateq15

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:48 pm
did anyone apply for taxud or legal services?
freddiem

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:07 pm
kateq15 wrote:did anyone apply for taxud or legal services?

Legal service was my first option and I've been already informed last week that I am selected and that I should wait for the official offer from the Traineeship office.
dekey

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 pm
freddiem wrote:
kateq15 wrote:did anyone apply for taxud or legal services?

Legal service was my first option and I've been already informed last week that I am selected and that I should wait for the official offer from the Traineeship office.  

Freddiem, did they say you were "selected" or "reserved" by the Legal Service?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum