Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SuSa11

Short List and Reservation in Blue Book Empty Short List and Reservation in Blue Book

Fri May 09, 2014 3:54 pm
Hello guys,

thank your for all the helpfull comments in previous posts!

I have been contacted by 2 units. For one unit I already did the phone interview, everything went well, and the interviewer said she was confident I will get the position. The other unit contacted me by mail and said if I respond positively to this email I will be "shortlisted" and I "will not be allowed to commit to another DG". However, I am still waiting for an official response from the first interview.
What does shortlist mean? The mail explicitly says that this is not an official offer, so are there other people still in the race? And if I respond positively to the mail, will the other position definietly close for me?

To top it all off: The lady from the interview sends me an email, that she saw in the BlueBook that I already confirmed and accepted a stage at a third unit, which I did not. This unit didn't even contact me. Are units allowed to book an intern without contacting him or her?

I am sorry, this is all very complicated. I do not find their terminology of "booking" "shortlisting" and "not committing" very transparent.
Maybe you can shed some light on this

Cheers
joel1

Short List and Reservation in Blue Book Empty Re: Short List and Reservation in Blue Book

Fri May 09, 2014 4:15 pm
I do not have all the answers to your questions, but I'm pretty sure units can book you without contacting you, especially if it's a unit you have expressed interest for by lobbying. Is it within the same DG?
SuSa11

Short List and Reservation in Blue Book Empty Re: Short List and Reservation in Blue Book

Fri May 09, 2014 4:17 pm
yes, all of them within same DG.
So that will mean, I cannot give any preferences over the untis that have contacted me and I have to stick to the one that booked me first?

Thank you for your answer sandra1!
joel1

Fri May 09, 2014 4:30 pm
Well, from what I understand, on their end it's all done on a "first come first served" basis, which means that the unit which books you first makes it impossible for other units to book you. You don't really have any power over this process and this is why you may not end up with the one you prefer. But IF the person who gave you this information is right, then I hope the unit which picked you is also one that you wanted to work with.
SuSa11

Fri May 09, 2014 4:32 pm
I hope so too Smile Thank you very much for your help
angelapia

Sat May 10, 2014 10:09 am
@SuSa11:

may I ask you which DG is it?
Tnx!!!
angelapia

Tue May 13, 2014 12:50 pm
Hi guys!!!
1) Has anybody heard anything (calls or emails for availability, ect) from DG Connect, DG research or SANCO?
2) If yes from which Unit?
Thanks!!!
beebee

Tue May 13, 2014 4:01 pm
angelapia wrote:Hi guys!!!
1) Has anybody heard anything (calls or emails for availability, ect) from DG Connect, DG research or SANCO?
2) If yes from which Unit?
Thanks!!!

Hi!

I received this e-mail from DG Research:

Dear blue book candidate,

Thank you for your email informing us that you have passed the pre-selection stage, for which we congratulate you.

I note that you wish to have a traineeship within DG Research and Innovation. However, as the selection of candidates is under way, we are not in a position at this stage to be able to guarantee a traineeship in this Directorate General.

If you pass the final selection stage, the Traineeships Office will send you a contract for a traineeship either with us or in another Directorate General. If, however, you have not received word by August for the period beginning in October, you may consider that your application has not been successful.

Should your first application be unsuccessful, you can still apply for a subsequent exercise, provided you are still eligible. You must, however, make a fresh application.

Wishing you good luck with your projects, I remain,

Yours sincerely,

Did anyone received any e-mails/phone calls from DG ENVIRONMENT?
sandman

Tue May 13, 2014 7:20 pm
Hello everyone,

This is the third time I get preselected and this time it looks I have been luckier as I got phone calls. I was called by ECHO and on the following day they called me back to confirm I am their top choice and that they will go ahead and book me with the TO Office, upon my agreement, of course. Yesterday I got a third call from them saying that they have already officially done so and that I should be expecting the final decision by mid June. I contacted the TO office and they confused me again. To my question "have I been reserved by any other unit" they answered "we do not have the right to intervene in the selection process as this is done by the different units/DGs". My concern is who intervenes in case more than one units books me. Who decides whom I should go with?
Vale_steady

Thu May 15, 2014 10:38 pm
hi all,

I am very new to all this lobbying procedure.
The only thing I know is that i have been preselected and, unfortunatelly, I've got to know it just a couple of days ago.

My questions are:
- Is it necessary to lobby? Am I too late to do that?
- Can I contact more than one unit in the same DG?

The calls you are all receiving came straight after the email informing you about the preselection or after you had sent the "lobbying" email?

If you reply me I will be very very grateful!!! Very Happy
Sasha89

Fri May 16, 2014 9:58 am
Hello Vale_steady

From what I understood from this forum and the process of selection it seems quite important to lobby. This doesn’t mean it is necessary, as some people at the end get selected by unit they didn’t lobby at all, but many of the people that posted in this forum were contacted following their lobbying emails.

Lucia_roman kindly posted this poll from last session trainees and maybe it gives some more insights on the issue: https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/18/81/17/03/lobbyi12.jpg

As for the second question, I believe you are a bit late as again from this forum you can see that many of the DGs have already selected or shortlisted their trainee. Anyway, apparently some DGs are not very fast on selecting, so you could try. They are really polite in replies so the worst you could get is a reply telling you they have already made their selection, so its worth trying  Wink  If you decide to lobby find the Head of Units you are interested in and lobby directly to them.

And yes, I believe you can contact more than one unit in the same DG  Smile 

Good luck!!!
Vale_steady

Fri May 16, 2014 10:08 am

Dear Sasha89,

Thank you very much for your kind reply and suggestions!

I will try today and send an email to the unit I am interested. I guess I am not going to loose anything....
Is there a template on this forum for a lobbying email?

Thank you again!
Sasha89

Fri May 16, 2014 10:30 am
You are welcome  Smile 

Actually there is no template, but usually candidates send short emails expressing their interest and maybe also attach a short CV  Smile 
Vale_steady

Fri May 16, 2014 10:40 am
ok I understand! thank you"
deepakraj

Tue May 27, 2014 9:11 am
Hey guys,
I got 2 calls for interview one I got reply that I could not make it. For second it has been more then 2 weeks they have not contacted.
Anybody has any comment about if this is normal time or I should contact them asking what happened?
this is 3rd week going after interview.
Londoner

Tue May 27, 2014 10:00 am
deepakraj wrote:Hey guys,
I got 2 calls for interview one I got reply that I could not make it. For second it has been more then 2 weeks they have not contacted.
Anybody has any comment about if this is normal time or I should contact them asking what happened?
this is 3rd week going after interview.

If you have the number I would just call them and ask!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum