Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interviews

+55
joanna.
daki
AlbertRoi
asdqwerty
raluca
Bxl_trainee
BiancaM
pb
ukrt13
UBC VAN
Lukrecja3333
zlorine
loba
dudu
lija
Missy_S
aphes2001
davinya
tama
saib
LLep
balkamos
KS2012
Donnie_Darko
fab
claudia.s
nr_9
libellule
Aneena
pal00norbert
Inna
Astor77
vvlv
natalia1988
lilix
lilli84
KitKat
risinmojo
kaca
sgd83
ECandidate
ChristopherTrainee
crvdatoc
nikkos
etusje
christian.fiore
mute01
vuoksi
sophee82
sentita
Elanor
Billy_Joe
Fm
choco
bocho
59 posters
Go down
christian.fiore

Interviews - Page 2 Empty Re: Interviews

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 am
choco gongratulations and thank u for all informations provided! Lucky boy hope see u in brux!! Very Happy
etusje

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:46 am
yes, choco, you are absolutely right, I know we still have plenty of time left, it is just the anxiety, you know... and I see now also that you were talking about COMP and not COMM, so my confusion is over Very Happy And christian.fiore, indeed, hope to see you all soon!!
nikkos

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:21 pm
Hi everybody,

I have also been preselected and I have already sent a number of "lobby" emails to the HoU.
But now I have a little problem and I hope you can give me some advice.

I was approached by a Unit which I did not lobbied, asking me if I would be interested in the activity of their Unit. However, my background does not quite match their activities, and even though I have some knowledge, I don't feel overly confident.

So, my question is, if I will say yes, and will be considered for an interview, doesn't this mean that I will be flagged in the VBB and not be able to be contacted by Units that I am really interested in? But I also don't want to lose an opportunity to work in the EC, even though I am not very happy with what I do.
choco

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:39 pm
When I was offered a stage at the Unit that called me yesterday, I was told not to accept offers from other Units as this would cause some administrative problems in the procedure- unless I receive an offer from a DG that I always wanted to work at. Because, they said, it is important that I feel enthusiastic about the work.
(Thankfully, this was really ma dream DG)

I hope this was of any help:)
christian.fiore

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:22 am
Thank you choco! just one thing: u send email directly to the HoU or to te deputies? thanks!!
crvdatoc

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:25 pm
Hello. I was offered a stage at the Unit that send me a mail.
The Head of this Unit said me that he has submitted my name as the preferred candidate for his unit.
He told me that these preferences are submitted to DG HR, which will eventually contact and offer a stage.

Is this a good thing?
What I have to do? Have I contact someone? Or simply wait?

Can be useful to contact other Unit of others DGs in which I'm interested, to have more chance, if this will not go?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:43 am
Wow! Some DG/Units are very fast!

Gongrats, guys Smile

crvdatoc, can I ask u which is the DG that contacted you and also, which are your main languages?
crvdatoc

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:12 am
Snoji, it's DG COM. My languages are english, spanish, and portoguese.

What do you think about this mail from that unit? Is this a good thing?
ChristopherTrainee

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:51 am
For me the procedure is a bit confusing. I got two calls from the same unit on Friday but they mainly asked if I am sill interested and told me about their work. He sent me an Email some minutes later, stating that I will recieve notification from the trainee office. He was positive, but did not give me approval for the internship. So, I fear I have to wait until mid January to get an answer?

I have an appointment for another interview today and I am not sure if I should tell them about the previous call. And today in the morning I got an Email by a HoU I am very interested in and he wrote that he hasn't received the Blue Book list yet.

Is it possible that we get "reserved" in the Blue Book and do not get the offer at the end? I think a clear and coherent selection procedure would be advanterous both for the EC and for us...
ECandidate
http://atraineeinbrussels.blogspot.com/

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:59 am
Hey guys!

After knowing I was pre-selected, I sent a number of lobbying e-mails.

I got a reply from a HoU I had lobbied to saying she indeed thought my CV suited that unit and that she would consider me as a candidate. Afterwards I got a call from her assistant in order to confirm my candidate number, as she was searching for it in the Blue Book. Afterwards the HoU sent me an e-mail asking wether I was available for an interview and, as I said yes, we scheduled it for today.

So, I had the interview today, conducted by the HoU and by another HoU and the questions were:

- what was my occupation at the moment;
- if I had already worked in the area of that unit;
- why did I want to join that unit in particular;
- if I had already worked with european legislation of that area;
- as I replied yes, she asked me which one;
- if I enjoyed the work of analysing documentation/legislation and then writing a note about it.

*then she started speaking french and asked*

- how is my level of french;
- if I would be able to write a note in french;
- if I was willing to work in french and improve my knowledge of that language while in Brussels;

In the end she stated this was a non-binding interview and that they would communicate me the results in the end of their selection process.
sgd83

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:20 am
Hey!

I was actually called from DG HOME one day after receiving the pre-selection email, without having lobbied anyone and without even having said anything about that DG in my motivation letter (but I did mention some others). I was so surprised to receive a call so fast that I didn't even know very well how to react.

Anyway, after telling me about the work I would do if I was accepted and asking me if I was interested, she asked me if she could flag me as their preferred candidate. She warned me that in that case no other DG would be able to contact me or select me, so as I was not 100% sure I asked her not to because I would like to see what the options were first.

I haven't heard anything from her since, and after thinking about it I decided that I am actually really interested in the work she was telling me about, but now I'm getting worried that I kind of declined her offer when I asked her not to flag me. I was even thinking about contacting her and telling her that after thinking about it I am very interested in her offer, but I don't remember which specific Unit was she from (I don't think she even said it), so I don't know how to find her.

What do you guys think?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:07 am
Try to remember and send email or call!
kaca

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:39 am
Sgd83:
You ungrateful person!!! DG Home is my dream and now you not only refused them, but you stuck my hopes in the trash, ´cause now I know they have been calling people already!! Evil or Very Mad
But can´t you see the the number the lady called you from? I´m sorry for you, really, this flaging thing isn´t really fair, because as well as them, we want to have our choice (but if we find out in the end we have no choice, we´re happy to have something hanging in there)
sgd83

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:41 am
I'm sorry kaca! Now I really regret having "rejected" it, because the position they offered me was really good! But at that moment I was not thinking straight, and I hadn't even had the time to really check what the options were, or start lobbying or anything, so I got confused.

I might try to just call the DG later today and try to find out who called me. It showed up as a Private Number Sad

Aaarggghh!! I'm so stupid sometimes!!
kaca

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 am
It´s normal you didn´t think that fast, the process is so long that after receiving the e-mail I though we had like two weeks before something would start moving again, if someone had called me the next day I wouldn´t know what to say at all.
But maybe they have chosen you anyway, even without flaging you, just try calling the HR from the DG and they should tell you more Wink
And don´t forget to tell us after which unit it was Smile (so that I can be jealous Very Happy )
ChristopherTrainee

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:24 pm
As far as I unterstood it every unit can make a "ranking" with prefered candidates. If someone is the prefered canidate of several units, the traineeship office somehow decides who gets who. From this perspective, there would be no "reserving" of candidates.

But of course, this is just the information I got in the interview from one person, we cannot be sure if its correct or the same for all DGs.

@sgd83 normal reaction. I was also surprised by my first call, and it didnt went well...

risinmojo

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:26 pm
Gyus, is someone interested in DG ELARG? Any message from this DG? I got one phone call yesterday from them. Nothing special, just interview...
KitKat

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:01 am
I got a call from DG COMM to check if I was still interested. They say they want me in their unit but that I have to wait until january to know if I'll get the contract. It was a non binding interview.
etusje

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:16 am
Hi KitKat, first of all, congrats to you on your success!! Great for you!!
May I ask you which unit it was from COMM? Just because I also contacted them, but so far, no news for me... Thanks for all the info!
KitKat

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:28 am
Hi etusje. In fact the person who talked to me didn't mention the name of the unit, just explained me which kind of job they want me to do. But I'm almost sure it was not the unit I lobbied because the type of work doesn't match.I'm still not sure if I succeeded because the final choice is not from the person who called me. I tried to understand which unit called me by doing some research at the page of the DG COMM staff, but I was not able to figure it out.

I'm a bit nervous about all this, because I have a job I like in my country. On the other hand, one must take risks if we want to follow our dreams right?

Wish you all the best and hope you get a call soon!
etusje

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:47 am
Hi KitKat! Indeed, you are right, you need to risk sometimes to follow your heart. I have a similar situation. Perhaps you could ask for unpaid leave at your current job? And if they say 'yes' you can still have the time to think about what's next later. Well.. I am sure you will figure it out what's best for you. I also have a job, but I do not like it that much, so for me it will be easier to leave that - which I think I will do anyways, I have put now all my hopes into this traineeship, to finally follow my heart. Considering I have no call, nothing yet, I really don't know what to think... I guess I have to keep on waiting for still some weeks (!) to find out, and I am really impatient Very Happy
Thanks once again for your info and fingers crossed for you too!!
KitKat

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 pm
Thank you for your encouragement! If everything goes for the best we shall meet in Brussels!

Good luck Smile
ECandidate
http://atraineeinbrussels.blogspot.com/

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:04 pm
I received another phone interview today from another Head of Unit I had lobbyed to. He called me and said all Heads of Unit from his DG needed to suggest 3 trainees which they should rank in their order of preference to the Traineeship Office until 5pm today. So he said I was one of his 3 selected trainees and he wanted to confirm some of the information I stated in my CV. He asked why I was interested in his Unit, explained the work there performed and asked if I used to do similar work and asked about my language level. He said the next contact would be from the Traineeship Office, who would communicate me whether I was picked or not.

Do you think that contact will only come in January? Because I would like to know if any of the 2 units which interviewed me "officialy" picked me already, or if I should continue to accept interviews / insist on the lobbying!
KitKat

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:18 pm
I'm afraid we'll have to wait until January to be informed about the official decision or at least until the end of this month. I don't think that there is any way we can know if we were officially picked. But if, by chance, they have told you that you are their "top candidate" I believe your chances are high. And you have two units interested which is a good thing right?

Good luck!! Smile
lilli84

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:23 pm
Hello guys, I just registered, mad with anxiety, to share my worries with somebody!

However, I have not heard from anyone until now, so if what ECandidate has been told is right, les jeux sont faits....I guess I have to give up.
Maybe I just didn't send enough emails...are 21 enough??

Whatever...I'm just so sad....I really believed I could make it this time...

I'll keep a tiny hope until tomorrow,then I just have to chin up and go on I guess Smile
KitKat

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:28 pm
Hi lilli84. ECandidate said "said all Heads of Unit from his DG needed to suggest 3 trainees which they should rank in their order of preference to the Traineeship Office until 5pm today." This doesn't mean that all other DG's have the same deadline. Plus, I've read stories of ex-trainees who got a placement without having received a call.

Don't lose your hope!
crvdatoc

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:31 pm
One unit said me that I'm one of his priority trainees, but it is not the definitive selection.
Do you think that can be a good idea to lobbies other Units in the same DG, to have more chance?
lilli84

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:33 pm
KitKat wrote:Hi lilli84. ECandidate said "said all Heads of Unit from his DG needed to suggest 3 trainees which they should rank in their order of preference to the Traineeship Office until 5pm today." This doesn't mean that all other DG's have the same deadline. Plus, I've read stories of ex-trainees who got a placement without having received a call.

Don't lose your hope!

Oh my, what an idiot!! I got it all wrong, thanks to my cosmic pessimism!
Thank you so much KitKat, you gave me a more hopeful end of week!
Tomorrow I will make more backup calls anyway!
lilix

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:36 pm
Hey guys, do you know if EEAS started to interview? Also, anyone for DG budget?
natalia1988

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:44 pm
Hello Smile I would like to ask you if anybody have already had an interview from DG SANCO or DG AGRI?
I would be grateful for you answer.
Kind regards Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum