Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Discussion

+47
asdqwerty
vvlv
Missy_S
zlorine
fab
loba
UBC VAN
KitKat
dudu
fiifiifi
Aleksandra_B
MarshaP
frankubelik
sentita
davinya
Elanor
pb
libellule
christian.fiore
Fm
vuoksi
lulz
ltgreen133
Billy_Joe
ECandidate
Z61
Paula600
raluca
sillyman
Jenny26
lutraka
aneta89
bocho
Voguette
Inna
dulitul
pocahontas
nadurija
madele
Iris.S.F
bea*
yanaris
candidate
Carlos Tucho
Romm
Ive
israelelias
51 posters
Go down

General Discussion Empty General Discussion

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:10 am
Hi guys...

I am applying for second time, hopefully I will get it.

Who already started application? Can you tell me do we choose preferred DGs or is it like last time when we have to choose one "area" of interest?

Thanks.
israelelias

General Discussion Empty Re: General Discussion

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:31 pm
Hi!

This will be my first application, but I haven't finished it yet. I'm actually writing a draft of the motivation section! I'm applying for the Translation traineeship! Good luck to everyone.

I'm from Mexico and studied Translation and Interpretation of languages.

Greetings!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:28 am
Anyone??? Who started the application and who can tell me do we choose preferred DGs or is it like last time when we have to choose one "area" of interest? I am talking about administrative traineeship.

Thanks.
Ive

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:19 pm
mdenic85, you still need to choose an area of interest! Smile Unfortunately, you cannot choose a DG, although I guess you can always write it in your motivation

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:35 pm
Thanks Ive... I don't know what is better. But definitely I will focus more to specific DG in the motivation part.
Romm

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:08 pm
I have a question that might sound a bit dumb, but that's what this forum's here for, right?

How do we choose one area of interest? I haven't found a space for that on the application form. Only space to write up all our different 'qualifications' etc.

Cheers.
Carlos Tucho

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 pm
Hi everybody!

This will be my first application. I am from Galicia, Spain and I studied Civil Engineering and right now, I am studying economics also. This is my great oportunity to work seriously in Sustainable mobility and urban development!!

Cheers!

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:23 am
Hi guys.

Just one probably silly question. When we need to list our Universities or exchanges or seminars... also working experience, do we need to start for the oldest one, or with the most recent one?

Thanks.
candidate

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:08 pm
@mdenic, I do not think that you should worry about minor things like that, but if you want to be precise then you can put your work experience etc in chronological order as it gives relevance, logic and coherence to the whole application form.

I also have a question... Can anyone tell me sth about the quota rule at the Commission regarding the number of applicants per country? In other words, if you are coming from a country like France or England where the population is among the most numerous, then it means that you have more chances to get it or not? Since I do not have a Masters degree and I originate from a small country, I foresee that the competition for me would be tough. Can anyone elaborate a little on this ?

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:50 pm
Hi candidate...

Thanks for this reply... I also think it's not that relevant, bust still I wanted to check.

Regarding quotas... I am not really sure. But I think if you coming form small country you have better chances.

I mean quotas are not directly related to the population of countries, but to a number of applicants from a specific countries (which is, I admit related to the populations size Very Happy ), but they try to make is rational and equalized, so everyone should have more or less same chances. From my logic, for example is harder if you apply with Italian or Spanish citizenship. I mean, they admit a lot of applicants from those countries, but still... Imagine how good your application has to be in order to single out from all those applicants. More applicants = more better applicants!
So, by my logic it's maybe better if you come from some small country...

But the bottom line is... you cannot change your citizenship, at least not by the time the application process closes Smile So... just go for it and don't think about quotas Smile
candidate

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:16 am
@mdenic, thanks for your answer to my question. I know it is very tough to get an internship with the Commission regardless what your citizenship is. Some applicants try twice or even more until they are selected and I do not think that I can be that patient, especially if I get a permanent job soon.
Good luck with the selection and let the best one win.
yanaris
yanaris

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 pm
Hi everybody,

I found this document on the web:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/27188862/ECSTP-EUROPEAN-COMMISSION-Structural-Traineeships-
It can be useful.

I have been searching the statistics by countries of the traineeships in the EC, but no luck. As I remember, there are some countries that are better represented in the EC than others...I dont know why. In these study dont say anything about the possibility the reach the traineeship if you belong to a populate country or not.

In this call there are some changes respect to the last one. In the latter, you should choose the DG, but now, it is the work specific area. I prefer the former, even one can talk about the preferences in the motivation part :-(

Someone interested in the Energy DG?

Cheers

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:32 pm
Hi yanaris...

Thanks for this link, but I can see only the first page. The rest is just blank.
bea*

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:12 pm
yanaris wrote:Hi everybody,

I found this document on the web:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/27188862/ECSTP-EUROPEAN-COMMISSION-Structural-Traineeships-
It can be useful.

I have been searching the statistics by countries of the traineeships in the EC, but no luck. As I remember, there are some countries that are better represented in the EC than others...I dont know why. In these study dont say anything about the possibility the reach the traineeship if you belong to a populate country or not.

In this call there are some changes respect to the last one. In the latter, you should choose the DG, but now, it is the work specific area. I prefer the former, even one can talk about the preferences in the motivation part :-(

Someone interested in the Energy DG?

Cheers

structural traineeships and blue book traineeships are two different things. the structural trainee now is called NEPT and it is NOT the blue book stagiaire, as you are paid by your MS and must be a civil servant of your country in order to participate.
Iris.S.F

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:56 pm
Hello everybody!

I started my application but there are some things that confuse me. First would be at selecting what area you want to work in ... I would like the External relations one. The issue is that I haven't found the directorates that pertain to this. Also, as I am writing my dissertation at the moment about Enlargement I would like to maybe apply for that too.. but there is no Enlargement area. Do you think it will be in the External relations?

Another issue I have come across is that I do not have a transcript of records from my undergraduate and it is impossible to get it now as it is closed for the summer holidays. Is the diploma enough or do I need both?

And if I am finishing my master's in September (due date for dissertation) do I need transcript of records from this university?

Also should it be specified in the motivation letter all the DG I would like to work for? or just do lobbying for the ones I want?

Thank you very much!!!
madele

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:41 pm
Hey Iris!
The official description of the area says "Define and carry out Community / EU foreign affairs policies, strategies and representation at central and local level, by negotiating and managing international agreements and EU enlargement processes." So I guess Extarnal Relations is the one you want.Smile

As for the transcripts, I'm not sure. But as you haven't finished your Masters yet, I think you just need some kind of certification that you still have ongoing studies. I just got a piece of paper stating that I still have a student status at my uni, I couldn't really get anything else.
nadurija

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 pm
Hey guys and girls,

I am applying for the first time. Was wondering, are we supposed to specify the DGs of our preference in the motivation section?

Thanks and good luck everyone. Smile
pocahontas

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:46 am
Hey guys,

I am also applying (for the second time:)).

I have a question concerning the work of individual units. Does anyone know where we can find more information about what the units actually do? You can get the general idea from its name, but detailed description would be really helpful...

As for my application, I am not going to talk about specific DG in my motivation. I am just going to describe my motivation for the specific area. Hope it helps, nadurja;)

nadurija

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:40 pm
Thanks a lot pocahontas. As for detailed description of the employment areas, I think this gives a good idea for each of the units:

https://ec.europa.eu/stages/online/documents/Job_families_EN.pdf

I'm not sure about mentioning the DGs yet. but most probably I'll only talk about the specific employment area of my choice. I'm afraid my profile is not strong enough though. But anyways, I'll give it a try and then we'll see. Cheers! Smile
pocahontas

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:01 pm
Thanks for the link. I know about these employment areas, but I was thinking about the specific units. Each DG has an organisation chart where you can see all the departments and all the units in that DG. However, I was not able to find any information about the work of specific units...It is probaly related to these employment areas, but still, I was wondering that maybe someone here may have any idea where to find that:)

I know it might not be necessary at this stage, but last time I applied, I made it throught the pre-selection but was not selected at the end. So this time, I want to consider all the possibilities in the beginning.

I am also not sure that my profile is strong enough since I have not finished my Master's yet and I don't have a lot relevant experience...but I'll give it a try;)
nadurija

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:19 pm
Oh, now I see what you are referring to pocahontas. Yes, I had the same problem trying to find out more about the respective units within the DGs that interest me most. I only managed to find some information, but nothing concrete!

Good luck!
candidate

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:55 pm
Hey guys, I have been trying to find some info on the web regarding successful applicants with the Commission for the past years. My point is that there is not a template which the departments use in order to select candidates, but I surmise that there should be some essential criteria that are employed with most applicants e.g. foreign state education, languages, volunteering, work experience etc. It would be useful for us and those that will apply afterwards to know what the Commission wants. If you have any info or a friend that has been selected or, the best option, if you were selected, then put in a few words describing what you think the Commission generally looks for. Thanks!
dulitul

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:10 pm
Hey guys,

While I was filling out the work experience section I realized that there's no field where you ve got to indicate the position you held at your previous job. I find it odd, since there's a task description, type of employment, but no exact position. Do you think we have to write down the position we had/have in the task description field?

thanks
Inna

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:43 pm
Hey guys,

I would like to ask you for some advice if possible.I made it through the preselection the last time,but not selected in the end Sad Now I am wondering wheather to change my Area of preference...as my profile fits in a few of them.
Basically my profile is still the same as the last time when I applied so I'll have to write almost the same application as the last unsuccessfull one(though I am making a new internship now)! Of course it's a matter of who you are competing against in the new session, but I don't know the way the recruiters think in the EC...I'd really appreciate if you share what you think,should I risk it applying for a new Area or should I keep insisting about the old one confused

@pocahontas
I had the same problem with finding description about the units.As far as I read in this forum the preseleced candidates who received a call where asked some pretty DETAILED quiestions about the work of the unit to whom they lobbied,which is worrying,especially if you have lobbied many units and you have a vague idea what they are actually working on. So my advice is to lobby only units whose titles fit your education,experience and interests.

What about the units you lobbied if you selected External relations?They are hard to get even contact information...

Thanks for the attention and good luck with filling your applications sunny

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:03 am
Hi Inna,

I have the same doubt, but I think I will apply for new area.

Same as for, you my studies and work experiences can be linked to few areas. Last time I was not even preselected, so now I am changing...

I think this time I will choose more narrow, more related to what I am aiming at. Still it deepens of individual which area fits better, so at the end it's up to you... just sit and think about it and make decision Very Happy
pocahontas

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:38 pm
Hi Inna,

I decided to change my area of interest. I also want to be as much specific in my application as possible, but we'll se if it works. I also changed my motivation a little bit, but now I'm worried because the fact that I was preselcted last time doesn't mean that I will be preselected again (from what I've read in this forum). So now I am worried that my application is too detailed and that I left out the general reasons for applying for EC, which might not be good. I guess I am gonna have another look at it:)

And as for the specific units, I guess I will try to figure it out after the pre-selection phase...You probably have to read through the website of the individual DG and look for news from that specific unit....which kind of sucks...as for the contact information, all you need is the name of the head of unit, then you can figure out his/her email address

dulitul:
For my experience, I just describe my tasks, without specifying the actual job (there is just too little space:)
dulitul

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:43 pm
Hey,

Just a small clarification...'The date of postmark is the date of postage'..this means that even though I send my documents lets say on 27th of august and they arrive after 31st(the deadline) then my application would be still valid, right?

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:42 pm
Even if you send your documents on 27th of August and they arrive on 10th of September your application will still be valid, since on the envelope will be a date stamp of 27th and that is important.
Voguette
Voguette

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:12 pm
Hi Ladies and Gents,
I am also one of the applicants, so I wanyed to say hello to all,and IM keeping my fingers crossed for all of us! sunny
It s so great we have a frorum where we can discuss, makes me feel a bit more relaxed and gives a friendly atmosphere.

Concerning areas-i believe it is best to state one you have expirience in or interrsts you most...
That is what I did.
Btw,did you only choose Brussels,and for other option Luxembourg or Strasbourg, or a city from an EU country?
nadurija

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 pm
Hello everyone,

One teeny,weeny question pls: do we have to submit a copy of any of our papers on Europe? I mean, would the application still be valid if we list the titles but do not enclose a hard copy of the said papers in the posted file? Thanks all Very Happy

cheers
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum