Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Language and work experience proof

+22
candidatus
zipac
ec2016
olmons
Roeslein
marble
Baionarra
vic
lisa1989
ShefaniGirl
OleSea
NoMoreWords
eskl
s_i_f
LeireO
Soleilvert
lcf99
Moritz
PCRIng
Marine92
Interstellar
TomasV
26 posters
Go down
TomasV

Language and work experience proof Empty Language and work experience proof

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:19 am
Hi everyone,
can I ask if anyone has seen a list of all possibilities to provide a proof about language knowledge for the traineeship? For instance, do they specify what level of TOEFL is needed to provide proof of at least a C1 level in English? And if one can prove language knowledge by showing their grades from a sufficient number of language courses, are those from high school still applicable? (most of my courses in German took
place in high school)

In the FAQ section, I saw a mention that one should rather not list languages, for which he/she does not have a suitable proof. But since many applicants know more languages, it would be a pitty not to list all that we have with a solid level, right? That is why I am trying to find out what are all the options to prove the language skill.

In terms of work experience, I want to ensure that the proof can indeed be either a work contract or payment slips (here, I suppose they would have to be for the whole duration of the work) or a recommendation letter mentioning the period of work experience with the respective company.

Thank you for any comments and good luck.
Interstellar

Language and work experience proof Empty Re: Language and work experience proof

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:52 pm
TomasV wrote:Hi everyone,
For instance, do they specify what level of TOEFL is needed to provide proof of at least a C1 level in English? And if one can prove language knowledge by showing their grades from a sufficient number of language courses, are those from high school still applicable? (most of my courses in German took place in high school)

Hello Tomas,

As far as I am concerned, a TOEFL score of 96 or higher qualifies as a C1 level. School records of any knowledge proficiency will only be regarded as a basic knowledge of language (A1/A2 levels).
Interstellar

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:54 pm
Another question here, I have a TOEFL iBT certificate with a score of 105 which has recently expired. Am I still eligible for traineeships with this certificate or should I get a new one?
Marine92

Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:14 pm
Hi everyone,

I have been preselected as well for a translation internship (for the second time).

I am a freelance translator, and I have worked for big companies, but I do not know how to prove that, as I always work through translation companies.
Does anyone have this problem?
What do you submit then?

Also, would not it be easier to create a fb group for the pre-selected trainees? Smile

Congratulations to all of you that have been preselected!
vic

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:53 pm
Hello everyone!

I have a little bit ridiculous situation, mainly, I know Russian due to bilingual situation in the country, so there's no way for me to prove the knowledge, but, the problem is, I didn't put it as a mother tongue in the application, but as a foreign language (However, I put in the comment field there that I know it due to bilingual situation in my country). What's now? Can I write them to explain/ask how to proceed, or should I include written statement explaining the situation. Do you think it's really bad and I will be kicked out because of this stupid mistake? Neutral
Does anyone know any contact where I can write to clear this out?

Best regards,
Victoria.
LeireO

Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:50 pm
Hello! Smile

After a short moment of euphoria when seeing the pre-selection results (I got pre-selected for the first time!), I realized that providing proof of my language level might be a problem. Actually, my situation is pretty much the same as Victoria's in the previous message.

In particular, the issue arises with French. I have lived and worked in Brussels before, thanks to which my French it at level B2 approximately. However, I can provide no proof of this, I have attended language courses but never took an official exam. The best solution that I found so far is to make a French professor at university certify this with a signature, but I don't know if that would be proof enough.

However, in my application I already stated that I possess no official proof of my French knowledge and they pre-selected me nevertheless. This makes me a bit more hopeful, although I am still unsure if one could be rejected at the eligibility check for this reason. French is my 5th language (I have proof for the other four), do you think they might be a bit more generous because of this?

I have a similar situation for certifying Italian and Dutch knowledge, but my level there is very basic (A1) and I think a much simpler certificate will suffice.

Hopefully someone has experience/knowledge of how to deal with this problem, thanks a lot Very Happy

Leire
PCRIng

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:08 am
Also congrats to everyone preselected!

I have a similar problem with proofing my language level.

Do you think that you are automatically dismissed if you fail to proof one language (even if you stated only A1/2 levels). I simply didn't know that certificates of attendance of language courses do not count as official proof respectively that the certificates have to have the exact level stated. :/

Nevertheless, I guess at this stage we simply have to send in everything and hope for the best! Wink But maybe somebody has experience with this?

All the best to everyone!
Moritz

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:33 pm
Hi everyone!

I am applying for the first time and my question maybe is stupid but I really wanna clarify this:

Letters of reference from employers, as proof of work experience, DO NOT need to be recommendations for the traineeship in the EC right? Meaning if a letter of reference was written by employer for other purposes but proves one worked in a certain place (stating the dates, signed etc.), it suffices?

Thank you so much Smile
gagelea.george

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:00 pm
hm language certificates: studying in a different country should suffice as a proof of your langage skills. Additionally the Internship requires you to speak one EU languages beside your mother-tongue, so if u added let's say 3 languages ,I don't think is necessary to bring certificates for each of them...
gagelea.george

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:02 pm
@Moritz, a letter of reference speciffically for this Internship is not required, rather a dully signed official paper confirming that you have worked/trained at the stated company/ngo and so on
gagelea.george

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Oh my manners. Hi everyone and Congrats.. I do have one question.. I have put the wrong date ( earlier 1 month) for my BA degree. Would that be a reason to be disqualified. I mean they will be able to see in the original scanned copy.

Many thnx
Moritz

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:04 pm
gagelea.george wrote:@Moritz, a letter of reference speciffically for this Internship is not required, rather a dully signed official paper confirming that you have worked/trained at the stated company/ngo and so on

Thank you very much! Smile
vic

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:39 pm
Here's reply that I received about my situation with not having proof of one of the languages (because I know the language due to bilingual situation in the country and don't have any proof):

Dear Candidate,

Let us remind you that you must be in a position to justify all information declared in your application form at the time you submit your application. As indicated on our website and in the FAQ section we highly recommend you to read before applying,  language(s) knowledge proof can be presented as follows:

"in the form of language certificates – (mere attendance certificates in language courses are not accepted as proof!!), copies of degrees/diplomas (including bilingual education) /university transcripts explicitly stating that they are obtained in the referred language or official courses followed in those languages at any level of education. Please note that only a minimum of 4 exams, duly marked and with the level of language specified are accepted as proof of the declared language knowledge. Recommendation letters from professors are not accepted as only proof of declared language knowledge. Recommendation letters from employers are accepted only as proof for the declared work experience, not for your declared language knowledge."

You must send proof of your level of language knowledge. You have reported a good level in both languages and points were definitely assigned to you. So you must submit documentary evidence in support of your statement, without them you may be considered ineligible.

We hope this message gives you a clear answer.

Best regards

EAC-BUREAU-DES-STAGES
Trainees Office of the European Commission
DG EAC.C.2

So, I guess I'm out  Crying or Very sad
lcf99

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:48 pm
well, that's clear

but what about english exam, TOEFL, official institutions, something else?
what about other languages?
lisa1989

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:59 pm
Wrong date for the diploma and no language proof (doesn't matter what language) at all are definitely  reasons to be ineligible...

As for languages: They accept any official certificate with a stated level (so A1-C2), grade, stamp and signature. May it be from your/some university, IELTS, DELF or whatsoever... (I asked them before I applied) basically all what is stated in the replay Victoria got. You can also find this information on the traineeship website

Rule Nr. 1: If you cannot proof what you wrote in your application, you'll be rejected.

Last edited by lisa1989 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soleilvert

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:00 pm
gagelea.george wrote:Oh my manners. Hi everyone and Congrats.. I do have one question.. I have put the wrong date ( earlier 1 month) for my BA degree. Would that be a reason to be disqualified. I mean they will be able to see in the original scanned copy.

Many thnx

For me it was OK last year (I think they know that sometimes the date of your diploma is different from the date from your transcript, etc.)
NoMoreWords

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:56 pm
Ok, having read all these comments I lost all my hope. Those languages certifications made more victims than letal diseases...
Let me explain my situation:
I have studied one year in France and Spain. I have worked abroad in the Middle East. I have learnt spanish and french during my studying experience as most of my exams were in those languages. My master degree is taught in English and I had to pass an English Language exam to get in. However this exam do not state the level acquired (it is just called "advanced english (legal and academic english)". Same story for my French and Spanish exam. Hence, I do not have any "proof" which meets the definition laid down by the E.U. Commission. Should I try anyway?
I think language certifications are over- and mis-valued by the commission.
lisa1989

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:02 pm
Apart from official language certificates:

"copies of degrees/diplomas (including bilingual education) /university transcripts explicitly stating that they are obtained in the referred language or official courses followed in those languages at any level of education. Please note that only a minimum of 4 exams, duly marked and with the level of language specified are accepted as proof of the declared language knowledge"

So if you passed several exams and/or obtained degrees abroad thought in those languages this may also count Smile

NoMoreWords

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:15 pm
lisa1989 wrote:Apart from official language certificates:

"copies of degrees/diplomas (including bilingual education) /university transcripts explicitly stating that they are obtained in the referred language or official courses followed in those languages at any level of education. Please note that only a minimum of 4 exams, duly marked and with the level of language specified are accepted as proof of the declared language knowledge"

So if you passed several exams and/or obtained degrees abroad thought in those languages this may also count Smile

Unfortunately I do not hold any official diploma other than Erasmus + Certifications. In both cases I have been an exchange student and, by definition, I was not enrolled in the host university....
I have stated C1 in English and a mix of B2/C1 in Spanish and French.
Let's say I provide certifications that only prove b2 level...will I be excluded or my "application points" will be simply re-evaluated?
Let's see...
vic

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:19 pm
NoMoreWords wrote:
lisa1989 wrote:Apart from official language certificates:

Unfortunately I do not hold any official diploma other than Erasmus + Certifications. In both cases I have been an exchange student and, by definition, I was not enrolled in the host university....
I have stated C1 in English and a mix of B2/C1 in Spanish and French.
Let's say I provide certifications that only prove b2 level...will I be excluded or my "application points" will be simply re-evaluated?
Let's see...
I have a feeling that they just exclude people in case they don't provide something and do not re-count anything. At least in the email reponse they wrote (above) I got such feeling...
NoMoreWords

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:27 pm
This elegibility check is a joke. I mean, if the rationale behind this check is to avoid people lying and "steal" the seat of those who deserve to be pre-selected, they should verify the information BEFORE the pre-selection...
LeireO

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:39 pm
Thank you Victoria for sharing the email! The whole document thing seems crazy, as if everyone had the money and the time to pay and study for all those official exams Sad Hopefully they will accept something less formal too!
s_i_f

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:28 pm
Hi everyone!

I am a little bit worried because of a stupid mistake I made when I applied. I have mentioned my end-of-studies internship under the section "work experience" ("paid trainee"). I saw afterwards that "Traineeships made during university courses are already assessed as part of the education and shall not be mentioned as work experiences." Do you think I could be disqualified?

Thanks
eskl

Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:50 am
Hello everyone,

I am really worried about this as well.

Language: I have no official proof for English, but my entire bachelor was in an English speaking country and I received top grade, plus I worked for 3 years in a consultancy in London, I hope that works as a proof.

Work proof: the firms I worked for are so slow in responding and providing references. For example, one finally provided with a reference but did not sign it. According to the rules, that is not accepted. I keep asking them to sign it, no response yet. Another firm made a mistake in my starting date, also taking ages to correct it.

This process drives me crazy. Sad
NoMoreWords

Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:12 pm
It seem to me that the pre-selection process is based on random criteria while the eligilibity check and follwing steps are based on "how officials and valid your proof is".
What a wank
ShefaniGirl

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:29 pm
s_i_f wrote:Hi everyone!

I am a little bit worried because of a stupid mistake I made when I applied. I have mentioned my end-of-studies internship under the section "work experience" ("paid trainee"). I saw afterwards that "Traineeships made during university courses are already assessed as part of the education and shall not be mentioned as work experiences." Do you think I could be disqualified?

Thanks

Going through the same thing! I have the feeling they never mentioned in the application form that we should only list traineeships before/after Uni. That's so silly. It doesn't make our traineeship less or more important. I'm adding a letter from my supervisor, anyway. I think we should be fine!
OleSea

Language and work experience proof Empty Hi! Where are you from?

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:34 pm
viktoriia wrote:Here's reply that I received about my situation with not having proof of one of the languages (because I know the language due to bilingual situation in the country and don't have any proof):

Dear Candidate,

Let us remind you that you must be in a position to justify all information declared in your application form at the time you submit your application. As indicated on our website and in the FAQ section we highly recommend you to read before applying,  language(s) knowledge proof can be presented as follows:

"in the form of language certificates – (mere attendance certificates in language courses are not accepted as proof!!), copies of degrees/diplomas (including bilingual education) /university transcripts explicitly stating that they are obtained in the referred language or official courses followed in those languages at any level of education. Please note that only a minimum of 4 exams, duly marked and with the level of language specified are accepted as proof of the declared language knowledge. Recommendation letters from professors are not accepted as only proof of declared language knowledge. Recommendation letters from employers are accepted only as proof for the declared work experience, not for your declared language knowledge."

You must send proof of your level of language knowledge. You have reported a good level in both languages and points were definitely assigned to you. So you must submit documentary evidence in support of your statement, without them you may be considered ineligible.

We hope this message gives you a clear answer.

Best regards

EAC-BUREAU-DES-STAGES
Trainees Office of the European Commission
DG EAC.C.2

So, I guess I'm out  Crying or Very sad

ShefaniGirl

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:35 pm
eskl wrote:Hello everyone,

I am really worried about this as well.

Language: I have no official proof for English, but my entire bachelor was in an English speaking country and I received top grade, plus I worked for 3 years in a consultancy in London, I hope that works as a proof.

Work proof: the firms I worked for  are so slow in responding and providing references. For example, one finally provided with a reference but did not sign it. According to the rules, that is not accepted. I keep asking them to sign it, no response yet. Another firm made a mistake in my starting date, also taking ages to correct it.

This process drives me crazy. Sad

Totally agree with you! This is probably the most stressful job selection process I've ever experienced! I think you're completely covered for language, no one can say you don't speak if you add your Bachelor`s transcripts. Smile  For the work thing, we're on the same boat! I`m waiting for a signature from someone at a NGO I was working as a volunteer. I've sent them so many e-mails they're probably cursing my name at this point. But lets not lose hope! We still have tomorrow to get our documents! Smile
lisa1989

Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:50 pm
Concerning the internships during university courses:

"During my studies I had one or more internships. Can I declare them under Work Experience?
- No, if this was part of your university courses (mandatory or not) and the university is part of the contract/agreement with the employer. Grouping education or training is not admitted.

- Yes if this was an external activity while you were studying and the contract/agreement with the employer does not include your university."

If your university wasn't part of the contract, you should be fine Smile
marble

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:58 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm also a bit worried about language proof.
In my case, I don't have a certificate (like TOEFL or IELTS) stating my English level, but English was a major part of my BA studies, as I have a degree in translation. I can provide a confirmation letter from the head of study program though, saying that in order to pass those exams a minimum level of C1 was required. This was fine when I applied for my MA studies that also required language proof, but I'm not sure now whether the EC will accept it. What do you think?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum