Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
JoJo92

Work Reference  Empty Work Reference

Tue May 30, 2017 8:09 pm
Hey,
I am having a freak out and hoping someone in this forum can help me out.
I just realised the in my original application I stated that I commenced a job in August. However in my official reference from the job it says I started in October.
Does anyone know how the Traineeships office will consider this? Am I definitely out of the running?

The job matches all the other criteria (held for 6 weeks, etc.) I just got my starting month wrong as at the time of the original application I was writing from memory.

Is it worth emailing the traineeships office and begging? Or is it too late/ silly to point out my mistake?

Any help would be super welcome!

Good luck to everyone
LinskuK

Work Reference  Empty Re: Work Reference

Wed May 31, 2017 11:22 am
Hey JoJo92!

I have a similar mistake that wasn't my fault tho. I wrote the ending date of one of my previous jobs and only after I realized that my employer wrote the wrong ending date to my letter or reference. I never emailed the traineeship office about this. I'm having a hard time believing that they would leave people out of the blue book because of minor date mistakes, but then again, I don't know how strict they are. Maybe they do start leaving people out because of things like this if they have too many applicants.

I don't think I'm much of a help to you but just wanted to let you know that I feel you Very Happy And I guess many others have similar mistakes! I'm still not planning to do anything about it, but if I'm left out, at least I know to be more careful next time!
JoJo92

Wed May 31, 2017 12:06 pm
Hey,
Thanks for the reply Smile

Yeah, I feel like they can be super strict when it comes to your degrees and language qualifications...
But I feel with your past employment as long as you actually have done the job you claimed then it can't matter that the dates are out of line?
But then again we are dealing with one of the most bureaucratic organisations.

Good luck! I hope for both of our sakes it doesn't matter
TanzVerbot

Wed May 31, 2017 3:00 pm
A friend of mine successfully applied back in 2015, with a date of birth on her application form as 1996 instead of 1990.

It might be no harm in contacting the traineeship office and clarifying the discrepancy. However, I don't think they will exclude a candidate on the basis of a month or two. Heck, I doubt they'll even notice. If it were me, I would just verify that the company and job title are accurate.

In my friend's case, they simply laughed at the mistake and said "Oh yeah, that would make more sense". She was ultimately pre-selected, lobbied and got in.

Good luck to both of you! Hopefully we should hear back in the coming days...
JoJo92

Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:51 pm
Thanks so much for the response.
Yeah I think the school results are where they REALLY can't have any mistakes...
But I am hoping that they'll realise the difference between my statement and my employers reference is just a harmless mistake.

Good luck to you too, you're right, we should all know within one week.

KennethK

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:19 pm
Hello

How did it go with this small mistake in the application?
blas20

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:05 am
Hello guys!

It may be a bit out of the topic, but I'm afraid that no one will see my question if I post it anywhere else.

Could you please tell me what kind of proofs did you have for IT skills. I have only a transcript of my marks from 1st grade of the high school, where one of the subjects is Informatics. Do you think it would be sufficient for medium knowledge for MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint? Or do I need some acknowledgment where all those programs are written?

Thank you very much!
Heca

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:49 am

Hey,

I stated that I had an advanced (or whatever the top category is) knowledge of all 3 and provided no evidence in my documentation, and still got a placement. Hence I'm not sure IT is something they vigorously check anyway - I just mentioned in the text box that I'd used them in the context of internships and presentations I'd given etc, giving concrete examples of the settings. I'm pretty sure it's the language level (and general education) that you need to make sure you can prove with certificates. That was my experience anyway!

blas20 wrote:Hello guys!

It may be a bit out of the topic, but I'm afraid that no one will see my question if I post it anywhere else.

Could you please tell me what kind of proofs did you have for IT skills. I have only a transcript of my marks from 1st grade of the high school, where one of the subjects is Informatics. Do you think it would be sufficient for medium knowledge for MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint? Or do I need some acknowledgment where all those programs are written?

Thank you very much!
blas20

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:52 am
Thank you! Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum