Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To lobby or not too lobby

+25
BSM
kiar
eurolawyer
lalaura
mihi
vvlv
tutu
anam1985
acromotcv
cand
velvetgoldmine
MoreEU4all
tarnum
pamg
DiannaDia
Smilyfunny
eeritrejaa
ligalala
maltina
viernes232
mede84
Riga
travisfull
lucia_roman
Pavlina.cz
29 posters
Go down
Pavlina.cz

To lobby or not too lobby Empty To lobby or not too lobby

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:26 am
Hi guys,
I'm just wondering, is it necessary to lobby? This is the first time I hear about it. I thought we've expressed out interest in the application already. I guess, it might increase your chances. Or they might just think I'm annoying if I bother them with more emails... Does anyone know if you have a chance to get selected without lobbying? I would appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks.
lucia_roman

To lobby or not too lobby Empty Re: To lobby or not too lobby

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:47 am
Here is something to give you some insight on lobby that takes into account also the EC's staff feelings on that:
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/education_culture/evalreports/civilsociety/2008/stagereport_en.pdf

My opinion is that lobbying can be particular useful if you feel you don't have a very strong background for a particular policy area, but you compensate in motivation and dedication. So you contact that particular unit with a new letter- or better said - an email, thus bringing to their attention your profile, which they might not have looked up otherwise (depending on which search criteria they are using when browsing the Blue Book candidates - i assume they are using some key words or searching by years of experience, etc.). So it is up to you to decide if you want to do it or not. Now, even if you don't lobby, that does not mean that you will be automatically disregarded. If you browse the discussions from previous rounds, you will find more info.
travisfull

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:12 pm
Interesting lecture, thanks a lot
Riga

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:39 pm
Just talked to a former trainee - most of the EC people are just really annoyed by all the spam and delete it without really reading. Blue Book is there with all the info they need.
mede84

Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:41 am
Riga wrote:Just talked to a former trainee - most of the EC people are just really annoyed by all the spam and delete it without really reading. Blue Book is there with all the info they need.

Well, if they just delete it, then there's no harm. Then you have just wasted your own time, but you might also be lucky that some units might read it. It's only a problem if they see your name, and then decide not to read your application because you lobbied.

I'm considering lobbying because my profile is very general as are my interests. Furthermore, my application is pretty specific and directed at only a few units.

My "fear" is, that units search for trainees by looking at those who listed a specific area of interest. And so, some people who would fit many units might be overlooked by units who belong to other areas of interest.

What fo you think?

travisfull

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:15 am
I don't think I am going to lobby.
Maybe it was useful in the past, but considering the high number of emails they received in this period it can be counterproductive.
viernes232

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:51 am
I think i am going to send some emails but only at the addresses listed at the confirmation mail. As they indicate us those are specific contact address for trainees. Has anyone send on those adresses??
maltina

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:09 am
I have send some e-mails to the addresses to trainees, and I have just received answers which are something as this

It is not necessary to send your CV since all relevant information you mentioned in your application form in the Virtual Blue Book is available to the people responsible for the trainees selection (except personal data).

So, I don't think lobbying is not really effective, I am planning not to do anything anymore, and just wait.
ligalala

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:19 am
maltina wrote:I have send some e-mails to the addresses to trainees, and I have just received answers which are something as this

It is not necessary to send your CV since all relevant information you mentioned in your application form in the Virtual Blue Book is available to the people responsible for the trainees selection (except personal data).

So, I don't think lobbying is not really effective, I am planning not to do anything anymore, and just wait.

did you send them to the addresses that they provided to us?
maltina

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:23 am
Ligalala, yes Smile
ligalala

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:33 am
maltina wrote:Ligalala, yes Smile

i keep thinking about annoying the HoUs, but maybe it is just waste of my precious time...
maltina

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:39 am
Yeah, I understand you..I really don't think they will be reading all these numerous e-mails and choosing candidates based on the receipts of letters
ligalala

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 am
maltina wrote:Yeah, I understand you..I really don't think they will be reading all these numerous e-mails and choosing candidates based on the receipts of letters

did you send out many e-mails and really all of them advised not to bother?
eeritrejaa

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:15 am
Well, I did lobby, but not too much. This is an email I received from one of the units:

Dear candidate,
I thank you for your interest in applying for a traineeship in our Unit. We can only select trainees from the Blue Book when the procedure will be lounged in January 2014. The Traineeship Office will keep you informed.
Any request for information about the final selection/recruitment must be addressed to the Traineeship Office, which is solely entitled to inform candidates on the selection results and to send placement offers.
Thank you for your comprehension.
Smilyfunny

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:32 am
What?? Does that mean we won't get interviewed etc until January?!?! This is so late Sad
DiannaDia

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:32 am
eeritrejaa wrote:Well, I did lobby, but not too much. This is an email I received from one of the units:

Dear candidate,
I thank you for your interest in applying for a traineeship in our Unit. We can only select trainees from the Blue Book when the procedure will be lounged in January 2014. The Traineeship Office will keep you informed.
Any request for information about the final selection/recruitment must be addressed to the Traineeship Office, which is solely entitled to inform candidates on the selection results and to send placement offers.
Thank you for your comprehension.
So, lobbying it not a good idea or better said a waste of time?
travisfull

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 am
Guys, they will start the selection on January, and lobbying is quite useless.
I think we should just wait and let them work.
pamg

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:04 pm
It doesn't make much sense to me. According to the traineeships office website, the selection starts in December 2013, and the sending of offers will start mid-January 2014.

This means that, by January the selection is supposed to be made.

Also, it seems that DG Markt has already interviewed some people.
tarnum

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:26 pm
Anyone heard anything from DG COMP?
travisfull

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:38 pm
I think it depends from the Unit. Some of them are already interviewing, but other will wait until january. I know it freaks you out!
MoreEU4all

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:44 pm
Any news from DG REGIO and DG ENLARG. Someone tried to contact them?

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:10 pm
pamg wrote:

How is it possible? I just got the confirmation I'm in the Blue Book yesterday.
pamg

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:41 pm
tambourinist wrote:
pamg wrote:

How is it possible? I just got the confirmation I'm in the Blue Book yesterday.

I don't know. I am just quoting what some other person wrote on another thread in the forum.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:49 pm
pamg wrote:

I don't know. I am just quoting what some other person wrote on another thread in the forum.

I've also heard they were working fast. But that fast? Or maybe they got the Blue Book a few days before we did.

Btw: I also got an e-mail telling me not to contact them cause they have all the info they need. I guess I won't.
velvetgoldmine

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:20 pm
MoreEU4all wrote:Any news from DG REGIO and DG ENLARG. Someone tried to contact them?

No news from DG REGIO yet.

DG ELARG HR unit sent me a typical email yesterday thanking me for my interest and that they will consider my application among others.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:51 pm
That's so damn pessimistic, isn't it? We all have a lot of stress and invested a lot of time to get a job that is really poorly paid, hardly covering the costs of living, and which doesn't offer you any security (you're out after a few months).

And all that, as I suppose very good young people, with very good diplomas, several languages, etc.

Fuck traineeships.
Riga

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:01 pm
Yes, I agree, there are a lot of drawbacks to the programme, but now think about the reason why you are applying - I suppose it's not because of the financial factor or hopes to stay there for permanent job. It's the experience you gain, the contacts you make and an entry in your CV that most of us after.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:24 am
Riga wrote: It's the experience you gain, the contacts you make and an entry in your CV that most of us after.

i don't think the people who were pre-selected don't have any experience and any interesting entry in their CVs. i'm quite sure, the opposite is true.

it's a vicious circle. you need a lot of good experience from poorly paid jobs with no perspectives to get another poorly paid job with no perspectives.
cand

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:59 am
how much would you like to get? try to ask more money! Very Happy for me it's fine since 90% of internships are charity.
MoreEU4all

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:36 am
tambourinist wrote:That's so damn pessimistic, isn't it? We all have a lot of stress and invested a lot of time to get a job that is really poorly paid, hardly covering the costs of living, and which doesn't offer you any security (you're out after a few months).

And all that, as I suppose very good young people, with very good diplomas, several languages, etc.

Fuck traineeships.

You are right. However I think we all believe the experience in the EC to open great job opportunities no? Not in the EC of course but I don't think we all wish to work for the EC in our future.

As for me I was trying to contact some units to lobby but I can't find an e-mail. for example I have:
- Name Surname1 Surname 2
how will the e-mail be in your opinion? I've tried some like name.surname1-surname2@ec.europa.eu or name.surname1surname2 but they failed...any tips?

Thank you guys and good luck!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum