Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General discussion for October 2012

+92
kaxia
Nika
europeana
Belle86
A_Lina
Alecca2u
FS
pocahontas
zungol
Inna
ocecon
Bazylia
zeko
Davidoff
Wave_brx
mb
_Alexander_
shypt
cloudy
risinmojo
ann_soph
Katko
mia_
scholar
GarthAlgar
Luna77
Daiana
arrdis
mermaid123
RebeccaR
bocho
ea0154
ilonaLV
polsky
grrr_v
Lauinmad
kaplaine
Marcanum
Aaron_
prek
fibica
montenegrina
srgold
oanaM
lutraka
piccola
mrsmith4
ivotsonev
specterina
marco1
Joan85
marth
n_one
bea***
ovca
beerchen
laplbn
alexcraciun
dicearco
imbroglio
marina.eva
dori_
nas
Jnster
hal9000
corrakdeniz
jaimesawyer
KateB
Dranklaw
GLDFSH
lulu
laure1985
KOGI
sb_ba
simona82
gaza
missjustice
zeepaardje7
Silvy_Cro
Aneena
SonjaK
Mali
ChristinaW
kudi
davor
hipersons
Tally
raluca
Montecito08
ready4everything
giulia22
saeyphi
96 posters
Go down
saeyphi
http://www.philles.be

General discussion for October 2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: General discussion for October 2012

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:18 pm
I haven't found it either. Apparently we don't get that choice any more...
raluca

General discussion for October 2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: General discussion for October 2012

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:35 pm
yes, but on the website doesn`t specify anything Neutral
saeyphi

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:58 pm
They probably want to reduce the lobbying. Or maybe they will only ask the preselected candidates what there preferences are. I don't know and indeed, I can't find anything on the website.

Anyway, good luck with your applications!

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:46 pm
Did anyone tried to contact them? I am planning to do so... I mean, that's the best way to find out that's this all about... I mean, thought that we should write basically 3 motivation letters for each DG, but now... should be only one, and only specifying why we're interested in EC in general? I am really confused Shocked

And also this is the shortest period for applying right? We have only one month, while others had 2 moths. Correct me if I am wrong.
saeyphi

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:38 pm
You are wrong about the period. It would take place from the October 1st 2012 to February 28th 2013. It's on the first page of the application form Smile

They do ask you which "employment area" you prefer. Not exactly the same as a DG, and you can only choose for one :/

I am not going to contact them. Thy will have their reasons to change tactics. Probably because it is better to divide the costs then (the people of ENTR told me they had some "financial restrictions"). And besides, the only sources we have are from this forum or other sites, both of which are essentially outdated sources of information. I am going to wait a little while until I know if I am preselected or not, then I'll worry about lobbying.

Meanwhile, try to find a way to make your preferences known. In your expectations for example.

Btw, very few people on this forum...

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:51 pm
saeyphi wrote:

Meanwhile, try to find a way to make your preferences known. In your expectations for example.

What do you mean by this? To think which field I should choose, for the one option that is offer? If it is that I already know...

And about the period... I know that internship lasts longer, I wrote "period for applying right". It's from Jan 3rd until Jan 31st. usually it's 2 months. Maybe the reason for this is also "financial restrictions"... or cos usually that have A LOT applicants for October session.
saeyphi

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:04 am
Aaaah, okay. Sorry, I misread Smile In that case, yes, you are right. I think that is because in July - August there are a lot of students with resits that have to focus on passing their year first.

Well, in the field for "general motivation" they also ask your expectations. Since you have up to 2000 characters there, you might be able to add it there. And if not, the field you mention might be good too. You have less space though and you need to focus on why you want to work in that area, not necessarily which DG you prefer.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:15 am
Oh, yes... Also, I checked now the list of available areas... hmmm, it's going to be hard, I cannot tell that easy which DG belongs to which area. I mean for some it's easy, but for some...

But to be honest, in some way I like that you don't have to pick DG's now... maybe they will put us in corresponding DG by their choice... I was really worried about all that lobbying, I don't want to do that...

but we will see, maybe we will have to do it.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:19 am
Oh, just saw it... there is explanations for everything.

https://ec.europa.eu/stages/online/documents/Job_families_EN.pdf
saeyphi

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:26 pm
I agree. The DG itself is not my biggest concern, the task is. And I know exactly which employment area I want, so as long as they give me something that is relevant to my background I will be happy Smile

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:35 pm
Yes yes... True. So far I like "Policies" and "Budget, Finance, Contracts" and "Analysis and Advice"... What about you?

I will decide by next week definitely... I want to submit my application soon and be over with it.
saeyphi

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:32 pm
Information technology for me. By far the best for my background and personal interests. I already sent my online application form, now I'm just finalizing my actual file so I can send it next week.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:28 pm
Oh, good. So, when you send your online application you get the form in PDF that you have to print out sign and send it with all other documents, right?
saeyphi

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:23 pm
Yes Smile
Tally

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 pm
I'm in as well! I applied for the previous session as well, but I was not even preselected... so we'll see how it goes this time!

Will you guys send references letters?

How about your age? I read recently that most trainees are in the end of their 20s... anyone knows whether that's true?
saeyphi

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:10 pm
I have included a reference letter, yes. I hope that's not true, I'm only 23 years old. But it would be a bit strange if they would offer these traineeships to "recent" graduates and then give it only to people in their late twenties. Most graduates I know are 25 at most :/ So I don't think age has anything to do with it.
hipersons

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:34 pm
"From the year 2000 to 2006, according to results from the Evaluation Survey, the average age has been oscillating from a minimum of 25.7 years in 2002 to a maximum of 26.5 years in 2000 and 2004." - note that 2003 age rules changed, could apply if you're under 23 and over 30.

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/education_culture/evalreports/civilsociety/2008/stagereport_en.pdf page 61
Tally

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:56 pm
thanks a lot!

I should read that report, indeed!

Another question: How about "lobbying" before applying... i heared some people used to contact commissioners they had contact with while studying... is that allowed? Does this make any sense at all?
hipersons

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:30 pm
There is also an annex for that report that is brimming with stats. http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/education_culture/evalreports/civilsociety/2008/stageannex_en.pdf

The application this round does not have a space for you to select the DGs you prefer, so lobbing beforehand to align your motivations with the needs of a DG or unit may be a moot point. Of course if you have personal connections to the commission and you have specific questions to ask about trainee responsibilities and motivations, take every advantage you can.
davor

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:48 pm
Hi, I'm also applying Smile For "Programmes, Projects, Actions and Funds" as this is something connected with what I do now.

Good luck to us all! Laughing
Tally

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:51 pm
Thanks a lot for the link!

I've already seen that there won't be space to select DGs -something I find midly irritating, to be honest. Do you know any official reasons for this change?

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:04 pm
As we discussed previously, we think it's cos financial problems... Someone mentioned here, that they have smaller budget now.

I wanted to ask you about references.... So, you mean like recommendation latter from previous employers and professors? I have those, but I do also have like some certificates that I attended some conferences and seminars, should U put them in part of application where are the references or somewhere else?

Thanks.
Tally

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:17 pm
I think there is, at least in the online application, some space for extra-curricula activities on the EU -so you might wanna put it there?!

I am still considering the references as well... I could ask my current employer or some of my professors, but I am not quite sure how important those are.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:24 pm
I made some contacts with people who did internship, and they said to me that references, they are not crucial for application, but in some case they can bring you some extra points... to sum up, it does not hurt to have them.

About space for extra-curricula activities on the EU... hmm, well, those were just some conferences, to I don't know how much I can wrote about that. I just attended, I was not holding a conferences. For, example, I am doing now a seminar about EU financial systems, so that I will put there for sure, but these....
Tally

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:01 pm
Awesome... so I'll ask my professors to write some.. thanks a lot!

I think I'd just mention some that are EU-related... how about the field papers and publications? Just mention those that were really published or also your theses?

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:33 pm
Hmmm... I don't know. Both??! I mean, i don't have any published papers, so I will go with thesis and papers that I worked on. But we have to mentioned them only, not to send them too, right?
Tally

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:48 pm
As far as I got it... I will mention my theses.. no other papers... uffff....

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:20 pm
And guys... how about languages? How many do you speak and have proofs for it?
Tally

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:26 pm
Languages is pretty easy for me (sad, but true): German is my mother tongue, English is C1 or C2 (I made an ILTS some time ago and will send this, I assume.. tho I also studied in English). I have basic knowledge of Spanish, French and Dutch... but no proof for that. So should I include the latter without proof or just leave it out (after all it's reaaaaly basic knowledge).

How about you?

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:31 pm
English is my number 1, than it's Italian as 2... and German and French will be 3 and 4, but really basic knowledge. Also my Spanish is OK, but now proof for that. My mother tongue is not EU official language.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum