Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
marmak

Translation traineeship DGT Oct 15 Empty Translation traineeship DGT Oct 15

Tue May 19, 2015 5:38 pm
Hello dear translation traineeship candidates,

I'm posting this topic so that hopefully we could share some kind of useful information pieces (whether TO is making calls, sending letters, etc.), understand the process a little bit better and go through it together.

I'll be waiting for your posts.

Sending good vibes your way!
belledenuit

Translation traineeship DGT Oct 15 Empty Re: Translation traineeship DGT Oct 15

Wed May 20, 2015 9:18 am
hey, same to you Smile! I got a phone call yesterday and then an email as well. I didn´t lobby, nothing. But as I already accepted a translation traineeship at the Parliament, I can´t accept this one... good luck, anyway sunny
marmak

Wed May 20, 2015 11:34 am
belledenuit,

thanks for replying and congrats on getting the EP traineeship!
Molina

Thu May 21, 2015 4:21 pm
Hello everybody,

Just to let you know I just got the call form the TO, so keep an eye on your phones!
marmak

Thu May 21, 2015 7:25 pm
Molina,

Congrats and thanks for the tip!
marmak

Fri May 22, 2015 7:48 pm
Today ~5 pm I've received a letter in my personal email account informing me that I've been selected, and asking to confirm the offer, otherwise it would lapse. Of course, I am pleased to accept the offer and I've already done that.
But so far I haven't received any calls, so maybe the TO does not necessarily call (even selected candidates). Just my two cents here.

Molina, hoping to meet you in Luxembourg this October.

Once again, good vibes towards all the DGT candidates!
jvs

Sat May 23, 2015 1:29 pm
Congratulations everyone!

@marmak and the others, what is your language combo (and background)?
Molina

Sat May 23, 2015 2:36 pm
@Marmak: which language unit were you selected for? I'm from Poland. Looking forward to meet all of you, apparently they will be sending other practical info once all trainees accepted their offers.

@jvs: It's third time I apply and from my experience, applying without MA degree in translation , 3 relevant experiences in the field was a fiasco (at least for DGT units for "bigger EU languages", such as EN, DE, ES, IT, PL...). Even though I had a relatively interesting CV after my BA (5 languages fluent+ studies + exchanges and work experience abroad) they only accepted me once I could provide them with proof of 2 years professional experience as translator and post-Master diploma in legal translation.
jvs

Sat May 23, 2015 3:35 pm
Oh shit, great profile. I have a translation MA but am fluent in only three languages and most of my translation experience was either as a volunteer or intern.

Plus I only recently started working as a translator so I wasn't able to list real paid experience as a translator on my application yet.

But it's good to know that they also accept people who've applied a couple of times before. Maybe next time  What a Face
marmak

Sat May 23, 2015 6:28 pm
I'm from Lithuania, so it's not that highly competitive (usually up to 30 candidates before preselection) - the perks of being from a small and relatively unimportant member state.

I have Masters of Laws (Vilnius University) with the specialization in finance and tax law field, plus additional professional training in accounting and audit.
Worked as a legal trainee and as a financial manager for a little bit more than a year.
No experience as a translator.
English - C2 (plus course of Legal English), Spanish - B2, German, French - A2.

Don't feel too good in the ennironment of lawyers, auditors and accountants, always liked languages and working with texts, so I'm thinking about translation/interpretation masters, but, first of all, I want to try on this career before fully committing to it.

Maybe I could ask for some advice for a newbie translator?
mimi11

Tue May 26, 2015 2:19 pm
Hi marmak,

Well done to you for getting the traineeship despite not having a qualification in translation! I imagine your motivation must have been very strong. I am trying to do something similar, just in a different field. Did you outright point out things you disliked about your previous jobs? Thanks!~
marmak

Tue May 26, 2015 7:17 pm
Hi mimi11,

Thanks for your kind words, but I think it's quite common that people without degrees in translation work as translators. There's no requirement to have completed translation/language/something of that nature studies to work as an EU translator. But you must have a degree in interpretation or certain level of experience if you want to work as an EU interpreter. There also are lawyer-linguists in the EU institutions.

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/translation/workwithus/staff/permanent/index_en.htm
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/scic/become-an-interpreter/interpret-for-dg-interpretation/index_en.htm
http://europa.eu/epso/apply/jobs/perm/2014/lawyer-linguists/council-parliament/index_en.htm

No, I didn't write about the things I'm not very keen on in the fields of law and finances at all, mostly because I think it's simply irrelevant, but also because, in my opinion, it would show questionable manners/morals to almost badmouth your currrent education/situation/job/employer/etc and would leave a bad aftertaste.

In the work experience segment of the application just told about the jobs I had and the tasks I was responsible for.

In the motivation part I wrote about what I do like about translation (to the best of my understanding) and tried to prove that I have the necessary skills for this profession.

Hope it's helpful and good luck!
mimi11

Tue May 26, 2015 7:27 pm
Hi marmak,

Thanks for your reply Smile. I'm currently working on mine, hopefully will get my point across eloquently enough. Fingers crossed. Thanks a lot and good luck in Luxembourg ^^. x
annikomare

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:15 pm
Hello everyone Smile ,

I also got a phone call last week and an email. Now I'm waiting for any further information and I thought it would be useful to join the Facebook group posted here. However, it seems that most of its members are still waiting for a call/an interview/an email or at least some feedback because they applied for other DGs.
marmak

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:09 pm
Hi annikomare,

About FB, I think things will sort themselves out quite soon.

Congrats and meet you in Lux!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum