Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
eurohopeful20

Annoyed with EC Empty Annoyed with EC

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:15 pm
It seems many of us non-EU people are still waiting for contact from the EC.

I personally know of 4 people who were non-EU and were rejected last week like all the EU people. I wonder what it means, however, that several of us have heard nothing. Is it a positive sign?

I am getting extremely annoyed with the European Commission. If we get the traineeship we are going to have to apply for visas, find accommodation, book flights etc. Many of us have other job possibilities in March and cannot wait forever to hear back about these traineeships. Why are they making us wait like this? It simply does not make any sense to me.

Does anyone have any information on what is going on and what this means? I do not appreciate the fact that the traineeship office is completely non-communicative. The least they could do is inform us of what is happening. I am sure that many people who apply for this opportunity are very smart and have many other options. This does not seem like the most effective way to recruit the "cream of the crop."

Annoyed with EC Empty Re: Annoyed with EC

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:30 pm
First, relax! Smile

Second, I know it's annoying, I am in the same situation but it is how it is.

The check up for Non-EU citizens lasts longer, since I assume they need more time to acquire all necessary info about us, and our countries are not in EU the who process is more complicated and it takes longer.

I use to work in diplomatic institution, and usually the data that has to be confirmed is in the capitals of the states and the request goes there and then it needs to be sent back... I just assume it is like that here too, or something similar. Also you might have different types of degrees and grading system that is not recognized and familiar by EU standards, so they need to "convert" that too. Again, just assumption.

When I got email from HoU that chose me, they also warned me that I might wait a bit longer to get my official letter and contract.

Also, a friend (non-EU) that got accepted in last session, told me the same.

So, just a little bit more patience and we will get it.

Best,

M
eurohopeful20

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:32 pm
So do you think this means that we have been selected?

What kind of checks could they possibly be doing on us? Like background checks to make sure we are not criminals or something?
eurohopeful20

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:35 pm
It is just annoying because when everyone got their acceptances/rejections, I received a rejection email from a unit that interviewed me - so I assumed I was not getting the traineeship at all.

But while it seems that almost everyone has heard back from the traineeship office, I haven't heard anything at all. I just wish I knew what this means. I figure that it could mean that another unit has reserved me?

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 pm
Yes, probably! That you don't have criminal record and similar... for EE citizens they can probably do that so quick, since the system is mutual, while for other states goes different. Again, just assumption.

But as you said, I think the fact that we are waiting is a good sign, since if we haven't been selected by someone, we would got negative response last week. So I assume that someone booked you! I was lucky to know which DG and I gave them call to HR and they confirmed that.

By the way, just being curious... where are you from?
yusc

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:53 pm
Guys I talked to a very nice lady from the TO on the phone and by email today and what she told me made me concern about my situation: she told me that they will contact me THE LATEST BY THE END OF THE MONTH to let me know if I was recruited or not. Therefore I assume that there is no certainty, at least for me, that I was selected and I might get an email maybe in two weeks saying that I didn't get in. Sad

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:08 pm
But wait yusc, you know that you have been selected by some unit as choice No. 1???!
yusc

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:16 pm
Nope, I have lobbied at a lot of units, but I have no idea if I am a choice N.1 somewhere Shocked

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 pm
Ah, OK... but still... someone must booked you as first choice, since you did not get the negative answer last week.

But if we have to wait until the end of the month... that's just crazy! We need to find a place! I hope they will let us know sooner!

Did she tell you something more regarding non-EU citizens?
yusc

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:27 pm
I am thinking I might be either booked somewhere or maybe I am a sort of "reserve" and I will get a spot in case someone will say no? Couldn't it be something like that?

nope mdenic85 she didn't tell me anything else, so I assume actually the only thing we can do is wait Shocked I have actually got a job offer and I don't know what to do as I might get a NO from the EC at the end Sad

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 pm
Wait wait wait... don't jump to the conclusions... we will just wait. There is nothing else to do.

I might email them too, but I will probably get the same response.

Stay positive!
yusc

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 pm
I'll try too! Smile I just want a whatever answer asap Shocked fingers crossed!

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:41 pm
I understand... you need to know because of your job.

Maybe you can also give a call to HR departments of few DGs that you lobbied or that you might think they were interested for you... and ask, they can tell you from the system if you are booked by as choice no. 1 or not. There cannot be many DG, probably just few.
yusc

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:49 pm
You got the point mdenic85, gonna do that tomorrow! Yeap I have mainly lobbied at 3 DGs, so I'll try to have some information, Thanks! Smile
eurohopeful20

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:52 pm
Yusc, perhaps she cannot say that you will receive an acceptance due to some bureaucratic, legalistic reason (such as the fact that you may indeed be rejected if after their security checks they think you are a terrorist or something). The most logical explanation for this delay is that we have indeed been reserved by someone but the EC is doing some weird checks on us as mcdenic85 is suggesting. But do we know for a fact that this is how it works or is it just speculation? I mean does it really take so long to do checks on people? I would imagine they would just run us through the Interpol database and check us against terrorist watchlists etc. One would think the EC's security people would have immediate access to the most reliable databases.

I am rather frustrated with this non-transparent process. They should send us non-EUers an update.

By the way, mcdenic85, I admire your relentlessly positive attitude. I really hope you get good news in the end.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:59 pm
I think as eurohopeful20 said, they cannot tell you that you are booked but you will get the offer letter... probably the rules are like that. What if it happens they find some criminal record... then it will turn out that she gave you false hope Smile

As I said that can said by HR of the DG! I did that, that's how I know I am booked.

I try to stay positive, but with everyday I lose patience!
yusc

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm
You got the point guys! I guess I was just way too negative and frustrated when I got that information Smile fingers crossed for all of us! keep you posted tomorrow when I call the HRs Smile
daki

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 pm
Damn, I hope I didn't forget to pay my taxes when I was living in the EU... Very Happy

On another note, when I called the TO the other day, they told me they couldn't give me any information on my status because they didn't see anything about me in the computer. However, the HoU who contacted me said (straightforward) that they picked me as their intern and that they will be happy to see me in March, etc., meaning it's a done deal. And other non-EUs got the rejection letter, hence I think we should be okay guys. Just relax and wait (I know it sucks!)
choco

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:45 am
I have posted this already on another topic but here it is again:

I am also a Non-EU candidate (B&H) and I have been contacted by a DG saying they have chosen me for the traineeship BUT I would have to wait UNTIL the END of JANUARY/ BEGINNING OF FEBRUARY to receive the official e-mail!

Fingers crossed for all of us!
yusc

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:04 pm
Guys stay positive!!! I have called the HR of the DG where I wanted to work and they told me I was selected by one Unit! I have lobbied at that Unit but I have never had any interview or anything else!! So happy, now fingers crossed that everything is fine with the TO Smile

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:22 pm
Congrats yusc! See, it's good that I told you! Now you can relax a bit!
yusc

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:36 pm
Thank you so much mdenic85!! Smile
daki

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 pm
Yay well done! So we have all been selected by Units! In that case, one remark. If the TO finally doesn't select us end jan/feb these units will be left without trainees, as all other trainees have already been assigned a unit. That would suck for them, no? Smile fingers crossed!

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 pm
I like your logic daki! Smile
Missy_S

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:07 pm
There are still candidates (European) on the waitinglist.
They also haven't received an email from the TO yet.
In case somebody rejects his offer, or a Non-EU does not pass the screening, they receive a late offer. So every Traineeship position will be filled, in one way or another.

Ps. I am sorry you guys have to wait so long to receive any message. Good luck to you all.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:16 pm
Hi Missy,

do you know maybe what screening includes? I already wrote about it in previous posts, but those were just assumptions... Trying to figure it out why is taking so long.

Thanks.
eurohopeful20

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:53 pm
In light of what Missy has written, is it possible that the non-EU people who are waiting are also on some sort of reserve list? Or if we are non-EU and have not received a message, are we definitely in, pending the checks?

I did receive one interview after pre-selection. I later received an email from them saying someone else had been picked over me. I wonder if they could have simply placed me lower down on their list and they are waiting to see if their first choice accepts?

This would be a logical explanation for the delay, potentially even more logical than this security check idea, especially if it turns out that it is not only the non-EU people who still are waiting to hear back. I wonder if some non-EU people have been given positive responses in the first batch of emails? That would lend even more credence to this theory.
eurohopeful20

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:01 pm
My problem with this is that the process is incredibly (and unnecessarily) non-transparent. If the EC would simply explain why we are waiting, it would allow us to better plan for the next few months. I need to know how likely this traineeship is, but this non-communicative waiting period is killing me.
jelche

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 pm
hi,

same situation here. non-EU...was pre-selected, lobbied, got a call from a HoU and had an interview. he offered the traineeship and i accepted. his HR colleague confirmed that my name had been submitted to the TO and that I should not interview with other units, because I am booked......

HOWEVER, like all you guys, I am still waiting for an official email from the TO!!!

though I must note that in my pre-selection email, it said "Placement offers will be sent out from mid-January." and it is only 16th today...so it is somewhat consistent

One question: I would like to apply again just in case i dont get it...i probably want to start doing that already now, cant afford to wait around till the end of the month (when Oct application closes) - do you think that is possible given that I am still in their "system"?

thanks

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:21 pm
Hi jelche,

I think you can apply, since they won't start checking the new applicants yet and you will get completely new number and everything... so no problem.

But I am pretty sure you will get it now! Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum