Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
bea*

Bachelor versus Masters Empty Bachelor versus Masters

Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:48 pm
afro Hey guys! I know the competition to get into the EU commission's internship programme is really fierce, so that brings up another question:

Do you think that a Bachelor diploma really is enough to pass the (pre-) selection? I know it is a minimum requirement, but I have the feeling, as it often happens, that the Commission doesn't even consider taking students who have only completed their Bachelor!! What do you think about this assumption, could it be true?
And... Anyone out there from the previous sessions who has been selected only with a Bachelor in the pocket?
shypt

Bachelor versus Masters Empty Re: Bachelor versus Masters

Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:54 pm
Yeah, I have same worries. Since as far as I've read here, I haven't seen any selected trainees who had only bachelor degree. But once again, I figured that I should at least try Smile
Montecito08

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:03 pm
It does happen. And there are loads of people who apply who have only finished their undergraduate and are about to finish their masters before the traineeship starts, but don't already have their masters yet.
Aneena
Aneena

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:35 pm
In my traineeship there were some people only with Bachelor degree, so it is very well possible. The problem might be with the preselection, as you get additional points for additional diplomas. But I guess you can always compensate for it with other marked preselection criteria, such as languages, international experience, motivation etc.
pin1987

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:08 pm
Actually ,although I have only a bachelor degree ,I got selected for the DG Enterpreneurship for the next traineeship period. But I 've realized that it is pretty uncommon and difficult to get selected only with a bachelor degree and the reason is exactly what Aneena mentioned. From my experience ,during my bachelor studies I worked as a trainee to a project related to the unit of the DG, in which I will be working from the following October (and that must have counted a lot during both the preselection and the selection phase), I speak 4 foreign languages apart from my mother language(greek) , I have taken part in the erasmus programme in Germany and I suppose I had a really good motivation letter as Aneena has many times till now mentioned in other topics of this forum.So I guess that ,since I got selected with just my bachelor degree , it is also possible for anyone else whose application fulfils certain other criteria. Very Happy
XabaCs

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:31 pm
Last year, although competed with 1.600 applicants from my country, I passed the preselections only with a Bachelors degree, and I didn't obtain it at Oxford or equiv. ... So it is more than possible to pass at this stage.

Even though diplomas/marks obtained are worth 9 points out of 20... just as Aneena wrote, there are many other things you can compensate the "handicap" with.
For ex. I obtained during my studies an Erasmus scholarship and I have work experience in my field of study. I can only conclude that my general reasoning (motivation) helped to, considering that: I only know 2 languages besides my mother tongue (only English as working language of the EC) and the DG specific & Employment area motivation statements where REALLY weak + neglectfully selected (yeah..lot of drawbacks Embarassed ).

I'm hoping (it well may be blindly) that improving the last to will be enough for the final selection this time!
bea*

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:42 am
Wow guys thank you so much for sharing your experiences!! so IT IS possible to get in with only a Bachelor degree if the candidate can show some important working experiences, motivations, etc! thanks for sharing, and good luck to all those who only have a Bachelor, but lots of added value Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum