Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

preselection

+11
hendy
Aneena
lill
krista
rena_sim
tiana_suk
EUGirl
fank
dishwasher
tonita
jordanG
15 posters
Go down
jordanG

preselection Empty preselection

Mon May 16, 2011 2:51 pm
Does anyone have any info about preselection? Which countries have already preselected candidates or when are we going to know? Mid June sounds too far away
jordanG

preselection Empty Re: preselection

Fri May 27, 2011 12:30 pm
i do have a feeling that we will get the results before mid of june
tonita

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:56 pm
Mad any news?
dishwasher

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Nop. 12 days left. Let's wait!
jordanG

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:24 pm
the committee was closed this week anyway :<
fank

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:37 pm
what do you mean? which committee?
jordanG

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:26 pm
im sorry, i meant the commission. the EU commission
EUGirl

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:53 pm
I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I wish I had found this forum earlier - i'm also waiting for the preselection results - pretty nerve-wracking isn't it? Also, does mid June mean that we will know definitely by the 15th? Or could it be a bit later than that? Surely if it was a specific date it'd say that on the Commission's webste.
jordanG

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:10 pm
results are out. anyone got an email yet?
tiana_suk

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:22 pm
really? i can't see anything! i haven't received any email! Sad
jordanG

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:30 pm
i havent received anything either. but i heard two people got results so i dunno whats going on
tiana_suk

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:34 pm
damn damn damn! Evil or Very Mad
EUGirl

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:51 pm
But the Commission website has not published candidate numbers yet and preselection is still marked as "ongoing". I'm guessing they have started contacting people but only when they have got all the results they will publish them. I wouldn't worry just yet if you haven't got an email.
rena_sim

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:33 pm
How did they konw the results? Did someone call them? I am really anxious now, I didn't receive anything and the website does ot provide results?

By the way, where will they be announced? Next to peselection section? I mean that, instead of "ongoing" it will be written "results"?
krista

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 am
I just got the results, I was pre-selected. So, what next? Very Happy Is anybody lobbying?
EUGirl

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 am
Well done to everyone who was preselected!

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 am
Congratulations to you!

I also just received the email that I am preselected. I am stunned - I really didn't expect this. Anyway, I would need some advice here.. I am abroad and will be until June 20th. So, the DGs won't be able to reach me by phone. Would you just write them an email?
lill
lill

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:31 am
I got my preselection email, too.

When we lobby do they expect us to show interest in a specific unit belonging to the DG or simply general interest for the DG?

tonita

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:42 am
ludmilla_rei wrote:

When we lobby do they expect us to show interest in a specific unit belonging to the DG or simply general interest for the DG?

I beleive we should show interest in a specific unit.

Congratulations to all! I got the confirmation mail too
cheers
lill
lill

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:11 pm
And how are we supposed to lobby more precisely? Is it better to send an email in which we show our motivation and wait for them to ask for our CV/cover letter? Or simply send them directly the CV and cover letter?
Aneena
Aneena

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:10 pm
Directly. The application was couple of months ago and the traineeship starts in a couple of months, that's why many people change their minds/find other jobs. So many candidates change their minds and this is why the units have the preference to talk to the candidate on the phone to check if he/she is still interested and available. If you actively search for a job it makes things even easier, many units only employ people that actively contacted them and have shown an interest in the topic.
lill
lill

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:34 pm
My problem is that I don't have a strong preference for a specific unit....In this case, is it ok to send my CV and cover letter and show interest in the DG but not necessarily in certain unit(s)?

Moreover, I have the impression that I would probably repeat what I have already written in my application form. Might that bother them and even make things worse for me?
Aneena
Aneena

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:16 pm
You should send e-mails to the units that interest you. It is people from the units that pick their trainees. So if you send a general email to the general inbox somebody will send you back a general reply and just delete your email.
You have to contact directly the ones responsible for the selection of trainees, and those are the units. I don't know what is your motivation and your competences so i ccan't tell you what to write or say Smile
But I would suggest that you pick the units that work on a topic you're familiar with and where you have already experience. You must have preference for legal/financial/international/communication units so have a look at different DGs and the units that are of interest for you.
lill
lill

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:34 pm
My first option was DG Trade...I checked their website and I saw they have a lot of units http://ec.europa.eu/trade/about/organisation/index_en.htm
Basically, there are various units that might be ok for me (BA in International economics, MA in Geopolitics), but that would mean that I have to send a lotttttt of emails only to the units belonging to DG Trade. Besides, it would be a bit difficult for me to motivate my preference for a specific unit as don't really know what their activity consists in. I just know the names of the units, which can sometimes be confusing. And what if I waste my time lobbying for units that don't even need trainees?
hendy

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:13 pm
seriously? you are worried about wasting your time? you can of course just sit and wait, but your chances are way better if you are active... good luck! Smile
paola_s

Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:13 pm
Hello everybody

So happy! I got the email this morning confirming the pre-selection Smile !

@Aneena: I was reading your post, which I found very useful, thank you.

Just a question, should I write to the Heads of Unit? To the single Officers working on the topics I'm interested in? To everybody??
Since you said "It is people from the units that pick their trainees." I wonder who are this people... I looked for HR and I just found the general contact for the whole DG...

Thanks for your help!

Aneena
Aneena

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:28 pm
I don't know who are those people, but no matter whom you contact this person will forward your e-mail to the right place as long as it doesn't end up in the general DG mailbox as there they are receiving hundreds of CVs per day and they don't really have the time to deal with them.
paola_s

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:36 pm
Ok, thank you, I'll keep it in mind :-)
Laopa

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:40 am
I wasn't preselected Sad I didn't have many expectations, so I am not that much disappointed. I'd like to know my ranking, do you know if it is possible?
Aneena
Aneena

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:09 am
Yes it is possible just contact the traineeships office and they will send you your results!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum