Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The units already selected their trainees (?)

+25
ceciw
theobatha
epsofun
lalandia
Katia
zcl
alira
lu
pietro
ciaranmurray
xano213
VeK
inocica
Bia
kattie
Alexe
studentka
wawa
Clochard
kokolo
SisBliss
Theresia
krista
Aneena
29 posters
Go down
Aneena
Aneena

The units already selected their trainees (?) Empty The units already selected their trainees (?)

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:44 pm
That's the insider info I got, some already made their choice last week, some had to decide by this Wednesday (today), so I guess it's already all decided, now you have to wait for the email.
I post it with a question mark cos I don't want to take full responsibility in case there are some exceptions, but from what I know from the ppl at the Commission everybody already submitted their lists.
krista

The units already selected their trainees (?) Empty Re: The units already selected their trainees (?)

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:14 pm
Ugh!! I'm so nervous!

So, although I reiterate myself, I got a call from ECHO on Tuesday last week. So they were already making calls and interviewing possible candidates. Therefore, there's a good change they might have finished their selection by now.

I also got an email from AGRI on tuesday, asking for my CV, although they specified that they "weren't sure if they were allowed to take on a trainee this session". Apparently (according to the FB group) many people got similar replies to email lobbying. In any case, AGRI units that are taking on trainees might have finalized their selection too.

Again, I repeat, both MIGHT have. Does anybody know for sure?
Theresia

The units already selected their trainees (?) Empty Re: The units already selected their trainees (?)

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:38 pm
Then I guess I'm out of the game since I have heard nothing so far.......sucks Sad
SisBliss

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:10 pm
Hey,

I m not sure that s true. I had an interview yesterday and made some calls today and units were still in the selection process.

@Theresia, the refusals were from RELEX.

Don t give up and keep on e-mailing, even calling.
Be careful tho, I got yelled at for calling today and asking if they had already filled the position or if i still could (re)send my CV or talk with the HoU, as the secretary said it was inappropriate to lobby. Thus lobbying = contraproductive sometimes.

Also, don t forget the official offers are made in July and things may change (decline by candidates , impossibility to come to BXL etc). Furthermore, some people (I know some) never lobbied and still got in.
They just recieved their offer in July.

Good luck, it s still not decided Smile)
kokolo

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:58 am
Hello!

well, I have been called on Tuesday and asked if I was interested to work in that unit (dg aidco) (I said Yes, of course :-)
The guy on the phone then told me that he was going to put my name on some list and forward it further..but that he can't promise me anything yet
I don't know how other DGs work
the sam happend to my friend who is also on lis and she was also told that there are still some steps to be taken blabla...."can't promise anything yet" - answer

anyway, I don't really uderstand how this works
If someone is on the list and that list forwarded further ( I guess to the traineeship office) is it possible that he/she gets rejected ?
and do all DGs have the same deadline for chosing?
Clochard

Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:21 am
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading this forum, thanks for the tips!

Kokolo, I had the same reply, I asked if there is anything I can do now, they told me no, and that the steps from now are not taken by the units, but by the traineeship office. So the selection procedure is back at the traineeship office now after that the units sent their priority lists. After that I guess it should be more or less administrative and my thought is that the only case the traineeship office would make a substantial decision is if a trainee is selected by more than one units. Also as far as I know they send more names so if the first choice trainee is selected by someone else they go to the second choice etc. Of course I don't know this for sure but this is what I deduced.
kokolo

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:28 pm
OK, thanks
..I just hope that being on a list means you're almost in bounce

P.S. I also heard some people got selected just like that (without an email, or a call)

guess we just have to wait now..
krista

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:35 pm
I'm hoping that the list thing means you're pretty much in too... Very Happy

@Kokolo, may I ask which unit of AIDCO contacted you?
wawa

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:43 pm
got a similar reply for aidco, in an interview - we will take the decision soon but we are not sure when it will be officially communicated , maybe it's a thing they have in that DG or maybe it was the same unit. Wink

now, in terms of selections closing up yesterday, i'm not sure it's valid for all DGs, i've inquired, some units have been told it's maximum next week, when they need to communicate a decision.

now, a question: Has anyone who has called units actually managed to talk with the selection officer in charge, basically requesting an interview?

thanks.
krista

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:05 pm
I only emailed units, I haven't called, since it seems that calling up units has had mostly negative feedback... And as I said before, from the 8 or 10 lobbying emails I sent, I only got a reply from one requesting my CV. Then I got an interview from a DG I didn't even list under my preferences.

@wawa: Can I also ask you which unit from AIDCO called you? Very Happy
kokolo

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:29 pm
I've also sent several emails (with a CV attached) and that's it..
it is the A directorate (didn't catch the name of the guy (was too excited))
it seems we all got more or less same info!
and that the decision on who ends up where is not to be influced by our calls or so

My plan is just too wait for now b/c there isn't anything left to do :-)

bounce
Basketball
Sleep
geek
krista

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:58 pm
haha, I ask because I had the same problem!! I was too excited and didn't catch the name of the guy so that's why now I'm trying to put the pieces together. LOL.
wawa

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:07 pm
it was one of the E units.
studentka

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:11 pm
hi to everybody,

does anybody know something about DG trade? selected or not?
Alexe

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:16 pm
Hey! I don't have anything yet... Sad
Has anyone heard from Legal Service?
Thnx! Smile
kattie

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:17 pm
And what about DG Regio? I havent seen it mentioned by anyone of you guys.. It was my first choice..
Bia

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:11 pm
Hey guys!
Has anybody heard from DG DEV, as it is my first choice?
Congratulation to all of you who have been interviewed :-)
krista

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:05 pm
Hey guys, you can also check on the FB group, some other people got contacted from other DG's that aren't mentioned here: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=241667116786&ref=ts
SisBliss

Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:07 pm
So in the end, does anyone have an idea what being shortlisted means? When the shortlists are sent to the Traineeships Office?

Thanks and congrats to the one that have been offered positions.

Fingers crossed for the rest of us! And thanks for sharing on the forum, it s been of great comfort in this utterly crazy week!
Smile
Aneena
Aneena

Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:09 pm
Alexe: when it comes to the Legal Service (similar observations for DG COMP) - they only take people with a PhD, or possibly the best graduates of reputable universities like Oxford etc. I also applied for Legal Service and DG COMP and of course didn't get a job in either of them, my personal opinion is that if you're not Einstein you shouldn't even apply there.
studentka

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:33 am
Hi to everyone,
help needed very much!!!
As adviced I wrote several emails to units of my interest in my first choice DG. Some of them replied that they don't take intern. Then I wrote one e-mail to RELEX Unit, which is a local delegation in my home country. and they replied that maybe maybe something can show up. but since not all units from my first choice have replied I still hope for the better.
But now I don't know what to do. Since I haven't received replies from my first choice DG it would be wise not to loose an opportunity to do a traineeship even in delegation. But I am not sure because if the Delegation "reserves" me in VBB, then my first choice DG cannot contact me anymore? what do u know about this? what happens if someone is reserved by second choice DG? can I know about the status of my application (whether someone has reserved me in VBB) by calling to traineeships office?
Alexe

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:45 pm
@ Anneena
lool I don't consider myself Einstein but I applied for Legal Service based on my background and my interests.
Btw, Anneena, do you know if there exist a list of profiles of former EC trainees? Wanted to have an idea of backgrounds the DGs are interested in.
krista

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:59 pm
@ Studentka

This "reservation" thing is a bit weird, but from what I know more than one unit can "reserve" you and the HR office will call you when they start processing the future trainees information so you can chose who you want to work with. I read in the old threads of this forum that this happened to a trainee.

And I am pretty sure that even if you call the traineeships office, they won't tell you this information. I mean, if they did, a couple of thousand people would be calling them, and I'm sure they wouldn't want that. You get to wait, like the rest of us Very Happy
studentka

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:45 pm
@ karla

thanks for the reply Smile
Aneena
Aneena

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:16 pm
@Alexe I also applied there because of my academic background and experience but when I was doing my traineeship at the Commission and met the people from the two DGs I realised that normal not-genious people (like me) have no chance at all of getting a placement there. So don't even bother applying there if you don't have a PhD in law or you're not a Sorbonne/Oxford etc. graduate.
Theresia

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm
Hi. Just got an answer to one of my emails saying that "Final selection will be closed on Tuesday 22 June 2010 and at this stage, no traineeship may be guaranteed".

It was a general email but not negative in tone, it also said that the DG:s very much take into account if you have them as your first choice (which I do in this case)
Alexe

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:12 pm
I am a Sorbonne graduate but don't know if that makes any difference for me. The thing is that I'm not from a EU member state so I guess I have less chances to be selected... Now, I'm wondering if I still have any chance at all as the majority of the DGs has already made their choice and I have not been contacted from any of them yet...

Also wanted to say, don't think you are not good only because you have not studied in the Sorbonne, Oxford or any other reputed university... Wink
Aneena
Aneena

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:32 pm
I am not saying the graduates from those universities are any better, but there are certain DGs which just don't take ppl without PhD or a very very good diploma. I studied also on a very reputed university and still didn't get into the 2 DGs - they have a strong preference for really genious ppl with 3 masters from Oxford, Harvard etc. a PhD and all the good sounding stuff.
Alexe

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:42 pm
Well, then my congratulations to all of these selected genious people!! Smile
inocica

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:48 pm
Hi guys!

Has anyone heard from BEPA? Apart from the AutoReply?...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum