Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March 2019 Traineeship

+73
venke
Davidoff78
saki
bluebook
Applicant19
JJ
Lovisa
Ale3andra
Slavorum
julielbt
Tolomei94
ajumar
masha
ap_li
npnb
Monster5
lolo..
foto
Alexis14
defender
keynes
ignamoli
Juliette
Kris22
altaloma
JC11
Demi_Ki
Cactusplant
Shai1
niuniu
marshmallow
Baltaf
MariaMS
AnnieT
underachiever
translator
Salimzade
Dolo
Ameliee
EmiliaS
TS.K.
AC92
Annajamro
man44GG
DanielJW
autonoito
franka81
dreydrey
ohanoka
Kbuh90
CC16
imo88
COCOCO
bbb1994
Doris1964
ezz2020
Wolfender
Esore
@Mia
cmaaati
negue_kaz
AAH
NCOMP
Flo
Lea92
marthakad
scarletenred
stephenlkkpm6a31
annabusdra
Unicorn99
rosalp
Gmzel
vic
77 posters
Go down
rosalp

March 2019 Traineeship - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2019 Traineeship

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:42 pm
Congrats and good luck for tomorrow NCOMP!! Has anyone else programmed an interview too? I really hope they will tell us something before Christmas, though it's true I saw that in other sessions trainees were informed barely one month in advance...but I guess those ones were on a waiting list
vic

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:13 pm
Well, actually it is going to be a month in advance more or less I'm afraid. They mention also on the EC website that the offers sending starts in the end of January. And technically all the communication that happens between candidates and Units is unofficial, until the time that Traineeship Office sends and official contract. So, for it to be super official, you have to wait until you get the contract, and those are sent out to everyone starting from the end of Jan only :/ For now maximum what can happen is that the Unit can tell you that they book you (but as I understood, often they don't even want to tell anything definite), but it's not official yet.
scarletenred

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:33 pm
rosalp wrote:Congrats and good luck for tomorrow NCOMP!! Has anyone else programmed an interview too? I really hope they will tell us something before Christmas, though it's true I saw that in other sessions trainees were informed barely one month in advance...but I guess those ones were on a waiting list

I also lobbied DG COMP. no answer though. anyone else got interviews or going to have?
stephenlkkpm6a31

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:58 pm
Anyone has reply from Devco?
Doris1964

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:19 pm
Anyone lobbying DG NEAR?
COCOCO

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:47 pm
Doris1964 wrote:Anyone lobbying DG NEAR?

Yep, only Eastern-facing units though. Emailed today, have you heard anything?
Doris1964

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:55 pm
COCOCO wrote:

Not yet! I'm targeting Western Balkans.
stephenlkkpm6a31

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:04 pm
I have just got a sudden phone interview from one of the units of Devco at noon. They asked some difficult questions, like What criteria would you have if there were a few units expressing interest in you? They also ask personal questions like Did you write any documents in French and English at work before? What does Devco do?

The interview was held in French and English. And I was told the result will be released probably before Xmas.
scarletenred

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:11 pm
Doris1964 wrote:
COCOCO wrote:

guys, have you specifically defined where exactly you want to work?
like Eastern/Western?
scarletenred

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 pm
stephenlkkpm6a31 wrote:I have just got a sudden phone interview from one of the units of Devco at noon. They asked some difficult questions, like What criteria would you have if there were a few units expressing interest in you? They also ask personal questions like Did you write any documents in French and English at work before? What does Devco do?

The interview was held in French and English. And I was told the result will be released probably before Xmas.

have you lobbied? Devco was my priority but I dont have their contacts. strange.
stephenlkkpm6a31

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:21 pm
scarletenred wrote:
stephenlkkpm6a31 wrote:I have just got a sudden phone interview from one of the units of Devco at noon. They asked some difficult questions, like What criteria would you have if there were a few units expressing interest in you? They also ask personal questions like Did you write any documents in French and English at work before? What does Devco do?

have you lobbied? Devco was my priority but I dont have their contacts. strange.

Yes I sent lobbing letters to almost all of the units.......And the interviewer knows that Shocked Shocked

Some former trainees in devco said they had not had contact with Devco before they received their offers....
rosalp

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:32 pm
Congratulations to the ones who have been contacted already. Anyone contacted from DG ECHO or DG SANTE? I wrote them emails and they replied, though I haven't lobbied yet, I will do it today
imo88

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:44 pm
Hi guys and congratulations for those who made it in the blue book!
Since the results got out I was thinking that I wouldn't lobby or send e-mails but maybe it's not the right approach, I'm afraid of being left out..
So, I have a silly/naive question: how do you address the people you're writing to? Are you asking for information if they plan to have trainees or "just" sending your cover letter?
Thank you in advance ! Smile
vic

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:09 am
imo88 wrote:Hi guys and congratulations for those who made it in the blue book!
Since the results got out I was thinking that I wouldn't lobby or send e-mails but maybe it's not the right approach, I'm afraid of being left out..
So, I have a silly/naive question: how do you address the people you're writing to? Are you asking for information if they plan to have trainees or "just" sending your cover letter?

I wrote that I would like to express my special interest in joining that DG, then wrote a paragraph of my experiences relevant to that particular DG and how I would fit and what I would be able to contribute with, and then asked them to contact me for more info or for interview. And attached my CV. Something like that Smile
vic

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:13 am
Doris1964 wrote:
COCOCO wrote:

I lobbied DG NEAR as well. Targeted Eastern Partnership and Ukraine. Sent emails on Sunday, but no replies so far.
imo88

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:44 am
viktoriia wrote:
imo88 wrote:Hi guys and congratulations for those who made it in the blue book!

I wrote that I would like to express my special interest in joining that DG, then wrote a paragraph of my experiences relevant to that particular DG and how I would fit and what I would be able to contribute with, and then asked them to contact me for more info or for interview. And attached my CV. Something like that Smile

Thank you very much Victoria! Smile good luck with the application process!
NCOMP

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:17 am
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I had my second interview during which I found out (it never ends..) that at this stage of the procedure DGs or Units therein are able to make informal offers only with no certainty though that the candidate will be taken. The final call is on the selection body which will send the official offer based on DGs/Units suggestion at the end of January. It emerged from the call however that if they really want you and you show through follow-up emails you are really sure about their Units, they will exert some kind of pressure to get you in.
NCOMP

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:25 am
viktoriia wrote:Well, actually it is going to be a month in advance more or less I'm afraid.  They mention also on the EC website that the offers sending starts in the end of January.  And technically all the communication that happens between candidates and Units is unofficial, until the time that Traineeship Office sends and official contract. So, for it to be super official, you have to wait until you get the contract, and those are sent out to everyone starting from the end of Jan only :/ For now maximum what can happen is that the Unit can tell you that they book you (but as I understood, often they don't even want to tell anything definite), but it's not official yet.

I hadn't read your post before writing mine. I had confirmation directly from them about what you wrote. See my post above
vic

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:54 am
NCOMP wrote:Hi everyone,

Yesterday I had my second interview during which I found out (it never ends..) that at this stage of the procedure DGs or Units therein are able to make informal offers only with no certainty though that the candidate will be taken. The final call is on the selection body which will send the official offer based on DGs/Units suggestion at the end of January. It emerged from the call however that if they really want you and you show through follow-up emails you are really sure about their Units, they will exert some kind of pressure to get you in.

So does it mean that there's a possibility that you can make (informal) agreement with some Unit, but in the end Traineeship Office still won't follow that and assign you to a different one or not assign you at all if they wish so?
NCOMP

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 am
They were blurry on that.. They made me understand that if they want you and you get an informal offer from them there is where you will end up.
stephenlkkpm6a31

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:21 am
NCOMP wrote:They were blurry on that.. They made me understand that if they want you and you get an informal offer from them there is where you will end up.

Did you get any indirect answer which implies you will be taken by the unit? My interviewer told me their selection ends before Xmas and probably I can get the result at that time.
Esore

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm
they told me the same, like they select 3 candidates (ranked), and the HR decides and let them know. Afterwards they send us the answer of the HR as an "informal agreement".
cmaaati

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:32 pm
Hi everyone!
So far I only sent my CV and short cover letter to the HR emails listed in the pre-selection notice.
Where did you find the email addresses of the Head of the Units? I checked in EU Whosiwho and I can only find their telephone numbers. Thanks in advance!
rosalp

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 pm
cmaaati, normally is name.surname@ec.europa.eu
NCOMP

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:28 pm
Hello again,

I just accepted the informal offer from one Unit (which was my second best, so I took it). They give you no "written" confirmation, only their word which I guess it still must count something. They told me that I am going to receive the final offer at the end of January by the Traineeship Office.

In order to avoid any risk, my suggestion is to leave at least one door open, sending an interlocutory email to your "way-out unit" and confirming your potential availability. This is an example of a piece I sent: "As I already brought to your attention during our call, other (merger) Units and also an antitrust unit few moments ago contacted me. As we both know, the final call is on the Traineeship Office, so should your Unit take into consideration my nomination for the traineeship, I hereto confirm, in principle, my availability and eagerness to work within you and the other colleagues"

Should other Units tell me spontaneously I am their first choice I will only at that point make things very clear, saying I have another official offer. It then will be up to them to step back or insist for my nomination.
scarletenred

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:35 pm
rosalp wrote:cmaaati, normally is name.surname@ec.europa.eu

thx. so did you email both the HR and unit directors?

Last edited by scarletenred on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
scarletenred

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:41 pm
NCOMP wrote:Hello again,

I just accepted the informal offer from one Unit (which was my second best, so I took it). They give you no "written" confirmation, only their word which I guess it still must count something. They told me that I am going to receive the final offer at the end of January by the Traineeship Office.

In order to avoid any risk, my suggestion is to leave at least one door open, sending an interlocutory email to your "way-out unit" and confirming your potential availability. This is an example of a piece I sent: "As I already brought to your attention during our call, other (merger) Units and also an antitrust unit few moments ago contacted me. As we both know, the final call is on the Traineeship Office, so should your Unit take into consideration my nomination for the traineeship, I hereto confirm, in principle, my availability and eagerness to work within you and the other colleagues"

Should other Units tell me spontaneously I am their first choice I will only at that point make things very clear, saying I have another official offer. It then will be up to them to step back or insist for my nomination.

congratulations!!!
who conducted the interview, HR? have you emailed to merger/antitrust units' heads?
rosalp

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:46 pm
scarletenred wrote:

Yes. From HR I received just a generic response, while the heads of unit were quite nice. From DG SANTE they told me they haven't started yet with the selection, in case someone is also interested.
scarletenred

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:48 pm
rosalp wrote:
scarletenred wrote:

Yes. From HR I received just a generic response, while the heads of unit were quite nice. From DG SANTE they told me they haven't started yet with the selection, in case someone is also interested.

thank you.
negue_kaz

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 pm
I also had an interview and the interviewer asked me to confirm my interest in a follow-up mail after the interview (it was good, but my French got sooooo rusty, that was pretty embarrassing..). So my question is: Is the request to confirm my interest  like an informal offer by the Head of the Unit? I am little bit confused... Congrats NCOMP!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum