Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Cerras

Traineeship or "proper" job Empty Traineeship or "proper" job

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:03 pm
Hello everyone,

after a decent number of failed attempts, I have finally passed the preselection phase (March 2018). The "problem" is that, in the meanwhile, my temporary job (bound to end right before the start of the Traineeship) was converted into a permanent one.
Now, the question is: how much is the traineeship worth? With the goal of working in EU policy consultancies one would think that it would be nearly a prerequisite, but at the same time quitting a full time job in a related field for a five month traineeship doesn't sound the smartest thing in the world.
I know that it's still early to think about it, but what are your thoughts? In your opinion, is the Commission's name on the CV worth more than a steady increase in a private company?

Cheers!
Inferio

Traineeship or "proper" job Empty Re: Traineeship or "proper" job

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 am
Cerras wrote:Hello everyone,

after a decent number of failed attempts, I have finally passed the preselection phase (March 2018). The "problem" is that, in the meanwhile, my temporary job (bound to end right before the start of the Traineeship) was converted into a permanent one.
Now, the question is: how much is the traineeship worth? With the goal of working in EU policy consultancies one would think that it would be nearly a prerequisite, but at the same time quitting a full time job in a related field for a five month traineeship doesn't sound the smartest thing in the world.
I know that it's still early to think about it, but what are your thoughts? In your opinion, is the Commission's name on the CV worth more than a steady increase in a private company?

Cheers!

I can imagine the traineeship to be worthwhile even for people who already have the opportunity to have a decent full-time job. Can't you talk to them about the possibility of giving you the position after you finish the traineeship? It might be attractive even for them if you come back with that experience.
mp999

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:59 pm
Having a permanent job gives you more chances to take a sabatical. At least that is what I have done - a 6 months of unpaid vacation.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum