Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
anam1985

Q&A about the traineeship Empty Q&A about the traineeship

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:07 pm
Hello and A Happy New Year to everybody!

I know we are all waiting for the big and good next news, but until then I have some questions regarding the traineeship itself. Probably the best persons to answer will be the current trainees.

1. Do you know if in Brussels they have special accommodations for trainees? Maybe dorms or something similar.  
2. For those who don’t live in Brussels do you know if the European Commission reimburses the transportation cost, for plane ticket and such? I have read that this happens, but I would like to know if anyone tried and what is the procedure.
3. After we settle in Brussels do we need to make a special residence ID or are we going to use the passport from our own country?
4. I have also read that the salary will be of about 1000 euro and we have to have a health insurance there if we don’t have one from our country. Do you know the value of this insurance? I understand that will be kept from our salary. I just want to know what will be the final net amount we will receive at the end of the month in order to calculate the cost of living in Brussels.  
5. Besides the work for the DG Units will the European Commission organize  special events for the trainees, like trips, conferences and such?

Thanks for all those who will answer or post their own questions.
erik12

Q&A about the traineeship Empty Re: Q&A about the traineeship

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:26 pm
yep, the EC is like a student campus with dorms.
optimus

Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:20 pm
I am not a current trainee, but I have done an internship in Brussels before so,
concerning question:

1. there is no such thing as dorms for the trainees. You will have to find a room/apartment yourself, and be aware that it is kind of a jungle out there...

for the rest, I believe that the Commission will give us plenty of information regarding the other questions. We'll just have to await the decision first.
pinhead

Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:34 pm
erik12 wrote:yep, the EC is like a student campus with dorms.

This was a great answer!  Very Happy

It amazes me how someone can write such a lengthy post with so many questions, to ask what? General info that can be answered with a 3-minute (or even less time) search in the traineeships office website? As if the answers were difficult to find.

If someone is so lazy to take a look at the Traineeships Office website or even this very forum...I don't know what else to say.

Sorry for the harsh tone, but the topic starter should be a bit more concerned about the way he uses his/her own and other members' time and attention.
crismestre86

Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:45 pm
pinhead wrote:
erik12 wrote:yep, the EC is like a student campus with dorms.

This was a great answer!  Very Happy

It amazes me how someone can write such a lengthy post with so many questions, to ask what? General info that can be answered with a 3-minute (or even less time) search in the traineeships office website? As if the answers were difficult to find.

If someone is so lazy to take a look at the Traineeships Office website or even this very forum...I don't know what else to say.

Sorry for the harsh tone, but the topic starter should be a bit more concerned about the way he uses his/her own and other members' time and attention.

Fully agree
delta86

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:00 pm
This doesn't need to be said in such an arrogant way though.
Ivyspirit

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:03 pm
delta86 wrote:This doesn't need to be said in such an arrogant way though.

Agree...
anam1985

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:23 pm
Sorry to have offended some of you with my post. Thank you for all your answers and remarks. I am glad to know that the information the traineeship office provides is clear to the majority of members on this forum. Good luck for next week!
Ksenia_M

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:00 pm
I am just wondering why people write in the topic and spend their precious (!) time to criticize someone's questions. I live far away from Brussels, for instance, and for me it will be some sort of useful informationm even if I am not selected for this traineeship. Why so arrogant and with so much desire to point out anyone's mistakes? People, be a bit more simple! Very Happy  And have respect for others!
Anam1985, you don't need to say sorry, from my point of view. Thank you for the questions!
pinhead

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:57 pm
Ksenia_M wrote:I am just wondering why people write in the topic and spend their precious (!) time to criticize someone's questions. I live far away from Brussels, for instance, and for me it will be some sort of useful informationm even if I am not selected for this traineeship. Why so arrogant and with so much desire to point out anyone's mistakes? People, be a bit more simple! Very Happy  And have respect for others!
Anam1985, you don't need to say sorry, from my point of view. Thank you for the questions!

Ksenia_M, I am really glad to help whenever I have knowledge of the answer to questions of an open-ended nature or to questions that need some serious research on behalf of an outside observer.

We are not talking about such questions in this topic. The topic starter did not simply take the time to check the traineeships office website or use the search function in this forum. Especially the first question about accommodation was ridiculous, sorry. When I first applied, I found the answers to ALL the questions I was asking myself with a search. As have done thousands of other trainees.

If someone is willing to spend 5 months of his life for some purpose, he can easily spend 1 or 2 hours searching the web for this easily available info and many more details of a traineeship. This is not nuclear science.

Imagine what will happen if on the day that the traineeships are announced, 20 topics open asking about ticket reimbursement....this is information one future trainee can find very easily.

I would suggest that forum moderators immediately lock such topics. Otherwise, this forum will become a total MESS. Nobody will be able to find the info he really needs.
(I know I had to search among dozens of useless and repetitive messages to find just one piece of obscure info I needed and for which I could not justify opening a separate topic)...
fundaton

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 pm
I guess the nerves are weak at this point, people, just relax, instead of criticising, send links!You are not making it better by telling someone off, if you know so well were to get the info, why not be nice and send a link Smile

reimbursement: http://ec.europa.eu/employment_social/egf/docs/reglementation_experts_2008_en.pdf

regarding events:
I am sure they do! There is an opening ceremony, were they might announce more, also there are existing Fb groups just seek for EC traineeship 2012/2013, for example. Should be announced there!

Just a quick start. see, easy, just be nice and helpful Smile I am sure you all bragged about how including and professional you are, haha. So let's all practise it!
FionaC

Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:44 pm
1. Housing: http://www.stagecommittee.org/housing/useful-websites.html
3. Belgian ID: Not sure, because it's only an internship, but if you do, then you would need to go to the "commune" you live in to register. You can always ask the TO about this, or the Europe-Brussels Liaison Office (http://www.blbe.be) - they have plenty of info for newcomers and can even help you go through your housing contract apparently.
4. No idea what insurance you would have to take but it is possible to get basic insurance for €5 per month. Also, you can rent a good shared flat for €400-500 so really, you shouldn't worry about the cost of living.
5. About events: there is also the Stage Committee
http://ec.europa.eu/stages/about/outside_en.htm
http://www.stagecommittee.org
anam1985

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:40 pm
Hello,
I appreciate the answers you gave me, but also the critics (they led me to look even better for info on the internet). The purpose of those questions was to find some up to date info from trainees that actually live now in Brussels. I know the fists question seemed stupid, but I found on the internet something called “European Trainee Residence” and I thought that someone who maybe is living there now could give us some more insight.
Thanks again for all the answer and fingers crossed for next week. I hope all of you receive the answer you are waiting for. Good luck!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum