Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EC Traineeship March 2018

+91
WeReAllInThisTogether
kovt
Nat_nat
Karllst44
alex4us
OleSea
a.kuba
jtrindade
Guido94
chanipie
Hanna Montana
trajkovski23
Alexofeurope
anxious applicant
Nicpapac
charlieh
gabi
Ba_beach
kgzs
Luciasb
Yrokep
Regulation5
ptheo
waitingyes
lilkd
Julita
Marrow
Inferio
Nejck
giogio
Imogen
tomas333
jazz
nadine91
lei
MiguelB
Kakiedo_
zdr123
freddiem
lili
Andrea12
kateq15
felvgs
ELV
maria12@
jesss139
lavil
vitSvit
yogiyo
DanielaT93
ehoward
Ale__Ma
EuroIntern
ireland93
clmclara
deepblue91
stefani90
KL01
VerAnt
epa
dekey
brrrknstock
GrVT
hugoferram
b474
mp999
l.one
oldy
ACC
lesley77
hl5
boradoli
Rina54
LM8
s_i_f
Nevermind91
bliebla
luduf
Lisa93
nomedellarosa
Efi
5kova
beamendes95
Sante
ds19
jddcorte
Kristina M.
dilyanai
gerda666
andreeamaria
rzvr
95 posters
Go down
anxious applicant

EC Traineeship March 2018 - Page 15 Empty Re: EC Traineeship March 2018

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:53 pm
Any answers from the Cabinets?
anxious applicant

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:55 pm
I am waiting from DG HOME. If anybody has received any offers please post it Smile
This forum is ideal guys! Well done for the great work and let's keep updating it, so that future applicants and trainees get the help that the EC does not provide us with.
nadine91

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:45 pm
l.one wrote:I think it would have helped a lot if everyone who got an offer provided more detailed information. I know you all are very happy and probably celebrating by now but it would have helped us, the ones who have not heard anything yet, and probably the future trainees who will be reading this forum A LOT. You are our only source of information for now. Once again, congratulations! Smile

1. Could you please, mention the Unit that sent the offer and whether or not you have been interviewed or contacted/interviewed before by the same Unit that sent you the offer? I mean, was that offer expected? Most of the people say that they have been interviewed and there is almost no chance of being selected without being interviewed. Was that so in your case?

2. Did you lobby for that Unit?

3. Are you EU or Non-EU?

Thank you in advance!  

1. I received an offer from DG COMP yesterday. I was interviewed over the phone on the day the Blue Book results were released (so early December). The interview was very informal and more about them trying to convince me to join their team. I was contacted by several units within that DG and of them said they'd try to reserve me. I did not have any contact with them afterwards, either in December or January but I did receive an offer from them.

2. I did not lobby.

3. I'm EU.

4. Just a couple additional comments : a friend of mine was selected for the Blue Book last year even though she had no interview and didn't lobby. So don't lose hope! Plus the website states that offers will be sent starting on Jan 23rd so the process is still ongoing! Hope this helps Very Happy
MiguelB

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:53 pm
l.one wrote:I think it would have helped a lot if everyone who got an offer provided more detailed information. I know you all are very happy and probably celebrating by now but it would have helped us, the ones who have not heard anything yet, and probably the future trainees who will be reading this forum A LOT. You are our only source of information for now. Once again, congratulations! Smile

1. Could you please, mention the Unit that sent the offer and whether or not you have been interviewed or contacted/interviewed before by the same Unit that sent you the offer? I mean, was that offer expected? Most of the people say that they have been interviewed and there is almost no chance of being selected without being interviewed. Was that so in your case?

3. Are you EU or Non-EU?

Thank you in advance!  

1) I received an offer from the European Defence Agency (EDA). They contacted me by email in the week before Christmas. Asking me to outline my interest working with them and my preferred employment area. In the first days of the new year I received a reply back to confirm to an informal agreement between them and me and they would let the traineeship office know. So it was kind of expected that I would receive an offer.

2) However, as they weren't my preferred agency or DG in my application, I did not lobby for that agency in the first days after preselection results were released. I did however lobbied the DGs and units in my preferred list. From some I received a thank you reply, but from most I didn't hear anything. One unit from my preferred DG called me the second day after preselection results asking me if I was interested in their unit. So I said yes and that was basically it. I guess they just put me on a list and nothing else.

3) I'm EU.
MiguelB

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 pm
We should go for some pre-drinks before the administrative welcoming Very Happy
Ba_beach

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:26 pm
Hey Guys^^ congrats to you all for all the offers! One question, do you think they will be sending offers through out the whole week or they would do this only once a week.

I got contacted by OLAF and was wondering if they already sent anything. Do you think I should contact them now or just wait patiently?

Thanks so much in advance! (:
gabi

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:46 pm
Hi guys,
Congratz to all of you....Smile
I am have got my offer from EC yesterday and now I am looking for a room to rent from 1 of March to August, anyones knows any good websites? ... is there anyone from here is looking for a room to rent also ...
deepblue91

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:16 pm
gabi wrote:Hi guys,
Congratz to all of you....Smile
I am have got my offer from EC yesterday and now I am looking for a room to rent from 1 of March to August, anyones knows any good websites? ... is there anyone from here is looking for a room to rent also ...

Luckily I got an earlier offer from the CoR before I got my Blue Book offer, so I started looking for housing early and already secured something. By far the best sources for finding a flatshare are Facebook groups - the two most popular ones are as follows:

1. Bxl a Louer - de bouches a oreilles
2. Bxl à Louer - de bouches à oreille (II)

You can also try the Facebook groups "Rooms in Brussels (Expats, Interns, Erasmus and Students)" and "Recherche Kot/appartement/colocation à Bruxelles". In my experience, however, the two Bxl à Louer groups are more than enough, as most posts found in other groups will be there as well.
charlieh

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:26 pm
So, hi guys!

I just found this website, and it's so good (and relieving to find that we aren't on our own for all this).

deepblue91 wrote:By far the best sources for finding a flatshare are Facebook groups - the two most popular ones are as follows:

1. Bxl a Louer - de bouches a oreilles
2. Bxl à Louer - de bouches à oreille (II)

Thanks so much for the info!

I think it would have helped a lot if everyone who got an offer provided more detailed information. I know you all are very happy and probably celebrating by now but it would have helped us, the ones who have not heard anything yet, and probably the future trainees who will be reading this forum A LOT. You are our only source of information for now. Once again, congratulations! Smile

3. Are you EU or Non-EU?

Thank you in advance!

1. I was contacted in December by the unit for an informal interview explaining what they did and whether I would be interested, but was warned that it wasn't a guarantee. It was the DG Justice department.

2. I didn't lobby for it, but it did match my profile. I didn't even know you could lobby till I read the previous comments.

3. I'm EU (soon to be not, three guesses which country)

Congrats to those who got offers and good luck to everyone else!
felvgs

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:28 pm
Any offers from DG EAC?
Andrea12

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:27 pm
kgzs wrote:Hi everyone,

I registered because I absolutely agree with Luciasb! This forum has been very helpful so I hope I can help with my experience!

1. EASME called me on the evening of the bluebook results (at 6:15, when I was actually doing my Christmas shopping and I was sure that they can hear the awful shop-music in the background. So learn from me and DON'T do anything on the day of the results, haha) They weren't among my indicated choices, but I picked DG ENV as my first choice and the unit I will be working with is working closely with ENV and on very relevant topics and projects so I was very happy. Then a long silence and on the 22nd they called me to let me know that they have booked me.

2. I didn't lobby for this unit, and I didn't even have the chance as I was working in my current placement. But in the following days I've sent a couple of emails, and I only got one reply saying that this year they cannot accept trainees. Oh and one automatic reply which was extremely rude (seriously). That was rather disheartening and I stopped sending emails after that for a while. But now I think I shouldn't have.

3. EU

And I agree, it is absolutely a matter of luck as well. My friend didn't get pre-selected during the previous round and he uploaded the very same application this time and he got in. And I know someone who actually got in later, starting only in November during one of the autumn-sessions. So there is always hope!

I will be in EASME as well! Smile

1. I was contacted by three different units (for 2 I lobbied and for 1 - this unit in particular I didn't). They called me last and although they weren't in my initial preferences the unit is very much related to what I studied and would like to do so it's perfect. After that I received another call from the 1st unit that contacted me telling me to indicate my preference which I did.

2. I did lobby but not for the unit I ended up in the end.

3. EU

Good luck to everybody still waiting and see you in Brussels! Smile
lili

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:28 am
l.one wrote:

3. Are you EU or Non-EU?

Thank you in advance!  

Here’s my five cents:
1.I was “interviewed” twice (all very informal). First, I got a call from my “second” choice (DG JUST), second, I received an email and then had an arranged interview with an EU Agency (not among my choices) - all this on the first day after the results. Then I received an “unofficial” offer from my “first” choice - Legal Service - without interview etc. I think it was second day after the pre-selection results. After some thinking I confirmed my availability (since they were my first choice) and I think they then “reserved” me in the Blue Book. I never heard from the first two again.
So, I could say, I got selected without being interviewed, but I knew they were interested in me from the second day after the pre-selection.

2.I DID NOT lobby for the Legal Service at all (I was going to but they sent the offer first). I lobbied for DG COMP (couple of units), got a single reply stating they already chose their trainee.
Non of my emails were generic - I was only prepared to lobby where I could offer something in terms of my experience/knowledge.

3.EU.

See you in Brussels Smile
Nicpapac

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:25 pm
Hey everyone, quick question.

I was offered a position in COMM, but as a part of a representation to a country instead of the one in Brussels. So I was wondering if anyone knows how that compares to the "main" trainee program in Brussels in terms of the work and the social life.

I am debating whether or not to accept it since I have a pretty good alternative and can just reapply when that is over.

Thanks!
anxious applicant

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:06 pm
Nicpapac wrote:Hey everyone, quick question.

I was offered a position in COMM, but as a part of a representation to a country instead of the one in Brussels. So I was wondering if anyone knows how that compares to the "main" trainee program in Brussels in terms of the work and the social life.

I am debating whether or not to accept it since I have a pretty good alternative and can just reapply when that is over.

Thanks!

Actually you will be working at the Representation of the country, so you will not be based in Brussels. You will be based in your country, so I think you will come to Brussels only for the first week of training. I would say that if you have something permanent and you are not willing to relocate, just stick to that.
dekey

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:08 am
Guys, silly question but I want to be sure that no further steps are required: once we have accepted the offer and uploaded the documents, do we have to do something else? (like sending the offer duly dated and signed) I am not sure if we need to receive like a final confirmation that everything has been done (which I have not).
anxious applicant

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 am
Guys which DGs have already sent an answer?
l.one

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:14 pm
Thanks a lot, guys! From the information that you've provided I can see that:
1. Only EU members received offers so far.
2. We can't say for sure whether it's recommended to lobby or not. Some did get calls after lobbying, some didn't lobby and received calls/offers.
3. Some did get calls, others never got interviewed but still received the offer in the end.

One thing is for sure: it's a Schrödinger's cat thing. We can't run to any conclusions or search for any logic behind this whole process. We will never know anything, we just have to wait, wait, wait again.

But there is something that could clear the picture a bit: is there anyone who received a rejection letter? Most probably, those people are no longer following this forum but if by any chance they do, please, let us know. As far as I know, in the previous years, rejection letters were sent out on the same day as offers.
maria12@

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:14 pm
l.one wrote:Thanks a lot, guys! From the information that you've provided I can see that:
1. Only EU members received offers so far.
2. We can't say for sure whether it's recommended to lobby or not. Some did get calls after lobbying, some didn't lobby and received calls/offers.
3. Some did get calls, others never got interviewed but still received the offer in the end.

One thing is for sure: it's a Schrödinger's cat thing. We can't run to any conclusions or search for any logic behind this whole process. We will never know anything, we just have to wait, wait, wait again.

But there is something that could clear the picture a bit: is there anyone who received a rejection letter? Most probably, those people are no longer following this forum but if by any chance they do, please, let us know. As far as I know, in the previous years, rejection letters were sent out on the same day as offers.  

I also knew that, but maybe this years things are different. I am still to receive an answer and I even sent the TO an e-mail asking about it, so as soon as I will get a reply, will let you know.
lei

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:22 pm
I asked the TO about the situation for those who didn't receive anything and they answered me with this kind information:
"Thus far no DG/service/ agency has picked you out of the applicants who have been short listed on our Blue Book but you will be notified via your Stage online account by 2 February 2018, at latest, of your status at that point.
It is still possible with people withdrawing and cancellations that you might be selected over the next couple of days.
In the hope that this clarifies your current situation, we wish you the very best of luck.
Best regards"
Let's keep fingers crossed even if it's difficult to keep hope...
l.one

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:17 pm
That's sad but it's still not the end. Lei, are you EU or Non-EU?
Is there someone who is almost sure they have been picked out and that they will receive an offer because that's what they have been told by the Unit during interviews, but haven't received any information yet because the units are being slow? That way we would understand if not receiving anything at this stage means "you are not picked out" or it also means that some Units are being slow.

After Lei's comment I'm starting to lose hope and starting to think that if we haven't received anything, that's not because the process is still ongoing, and new offers will be sent at a later stage, but that's because probably we are not picked out by any Unit and we are at the best in the backup list just in case someone withdraws...
lei

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:31 pm
l.one wrote:That's sad but it's still not the end. Lei, are you EU or Non-EU?
Is there someone who is almost sure they have been picked out and that they will receive an offer  because that's what they have been told by the Unit during interviews, but haven't received any information yet because the units are being slow? That way we would understand if not receiving anything at this stage means "you are not picked out" or it also means that some Units are being slow.

After Lei's comment I'm starting to lose hope and starting to think that if we haven't received anything, that's not because the process is still ongoing, and new offers will be sent at a later stage, but that's because probably we are not picked out by any Unit and we are at the best in the backup list just in case someone withdraws...

Unfortunately, yes I think all the offers have been sent for EU members (I'm EU), and the only possibility is if someone withdraws... Indeed I had an interview with a DG 2 days after the preselection results but finally they didn't choose me. So I sent a mail the 24th to this DG to verify if they also sent their offer and they answered very kindly that finally they picked someone else... In any case let's keep a little hope until end of next week! If someone is still waiting and finally receive an offer, it would be kind of you to inform us, just to check the hope level we should have Smile
Alexofeurope

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 pm
I think it is safe to assume all "first picks" have been contacted. Because people are sometimes no longer available or they possibly have been booked by several DG`s, they don`t send out rejection e-mails yet.

When I realised that 2/3 of my choices (LS, DG ENV, DG COMP) had contacted and most likely selected their preferred candidates, I e-mailed 2 more DG`s on the general e-mail address. That was early January. Never got any response. Last Wednesday (24.01) I got a phone call from one of the DG`s that I e-mailed. I assume their first pick was not available. So do "lobby"!

And don`t give up hope! I heard that people joined as late as the the last week of February in previous sessions! See you in Brussels! Very Happy
deepblue91

Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:32 am
Hey everyone, public service announcement to those who have received their offers: the Trainees' Committee has just created the official Facebook group for the March 2018 session. The relevant links are as follows:

1. EC Traineeship March 2018 Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1436220253168006/
2. EC Trainees' Committee Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ECTraineesCommittee
3. EC Trainees' Committee website: http://www.traineescommittee.com/

Look forward to seeing y'all in Brussels! (and best of luck to those who may still be waiting on an answer)
l.one

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:22 pm
Has any Non-EU receive an offer already?

I think it would have been more logical to inform Non-EU first and then EU. Because normally non-EU require more time to get a visa.

trajkovski23

Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:54 am
Hello guys, i have some uncertainties and i would highly appreciate your help.

1.What kind of proof for IT skills is good enough? I have worked on several softwares during high school and university in IT classes and have also worked on them by my own, so i know them back and forth very well. But i do not possess an official certificate that i have skills in all the programs, except for university transcript that states my grade for the class "Business Informatics". Will this be enough?

2. I am from Macedonia, so Croatian language comes naturally to all citizens here, due to the big similarity of the languages and the closeness of our cultures. I have also done my Erasmus+ in Croatia in Croatian language, but i had only 3 subjects, one less than the rules for Erasmus transcripts state. Croatian language lessons and language centers are virtually non-existent in Macedonia, due to the reasons mentioned above and i can hardly get an official certificate of my knowledge. Are there some rule exceptions regarding languages that are really close to each other, can i squeeze by with providing my Erasmus transcript with only 3 subjects or should i just state Croatian as a mother tongue?

Thanks in advance Smile Smile Smile
Hanna Montana

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:16 pm
I am still wondering about non-EU applicants. Should we still wait or they have been sent already?
oldy

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:38 pm
@Hanna Montana
I think if we didn’t receive anything so far, the chance we will later is very small. At least I heard nothing from TO. Perhaps will apply for the next session tomorrow, but I’m not very enthusiastic about it..
Hanna Montana

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:51 pm
@oldy

I guess it is all matter of luck. Maybe next time.

l.one

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:48 pm
trajkovski23 wrote:Hello guys, i have some uncertainties and i would highly appreciate your help.

1.What kind of proof for IT skills is good enough? I have worked on several softwares during high school and university in IT classes and have also worked on them by my own, so i know them back and forth very well. But i do not possess an official certificate that i have skills in all the programs, except for university transcript that states my grade for the class "Business Informatics". Will this be enough?

2. I am from Macedonia, so Croatian language comes naturally to all citizens here, due to the big similarity of the languages and the closeness of our cultures. I have also done my Erasmus+ in Croatia in Croatian language, but i had only 3 subjects, one less than the rules for Erasmus transcripts state. Croatian language lessons and language centers are virtually non-existent in Macedonia, due to the reasons mentioned above and i can hardly get an official certificate of my knowledge. Are there some rule exceptions regarding languages that are really close to each other, can i squeeze by with providing my Erasmus transcript with only 3 subjects or should i just state Croatian as a mother tongue?

Thanks in advance Smile Smile Smile

1. I was pre-selected without providing any proof of IT skills. Actually, I don't think it was even requested to provide a proof for IT skills. At least, for this March 2018 session.

2. I stated two languages (both Non-European) as my mother tongues. I didn't provide any proof for them. I actually wanted to include an explanation and state that both languages are spoken in my country but then I thought I better wouldn't confuse them at all. I only uploaded my University transcript with grades and some of the subjects in it were taught in those mother tongues. But I don't really think they even checked it out.

I had proof for my English (expired TOEFL score) and Spanish skills.

In general, I don't really think they are VERY strict with this language proof requirement. But I might be wrong.

I hope it helps.
l.one

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:53 pm
I'm non-EU and no news so far...But I jesss139 (from this forum) contacted the HR and they said that due to our non-eu citizenship, there are other security checks for us. So it takes extra time. Don't lose hope, guys. I think none of us received any news. Something is telling me, today is the day and we will finally get the results...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum