Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
NadiaCho

Are my qualifications enough for the traineeship? Or should I just leave it once and for all? Empty Are my qualifications enough for the traineeship? Or should I just leave it once and for all?

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:13 pm
Hi guys, I have been constantly applying for a traineeship with the European Commission since 2017. I had never managed to get into the preselection stage until October 2019 intake when I was invited to upload my supporting documents for the first time (due to the fact that the trainees for that session were 900 and not 600 as in every regular intake). Of course, I was never offered a traineeship offer. Anyway, I am just trying to build up my CV but I really need some feedback on whether my CV sounds good for the EC or not. Cause I got really tired chasing the EC and constantly failing. So, I am 28, I have an LLB (Bachelor in Laws) from Greece (upper second class honours), an LLM in International Commercial law from a very well known London University and some Coursera online certifications and a summer school. No Erasmus. I also have work experience as a trainee lawyer and a junior associate with a law firm in Athens. I speak 3 languages (English C2, German C1 and Spanish B1). Given the fact that these qualifications are as common as dirt, compared to the average stagiaire's qualifications, I decided to pursue further qualifications this year starting with a GDPR qualification from a well-established global institution and a second online certificate on EU Food law. I think the GDPR, food law and my long time ago LLM in Commercial law might help me a little bit for October 2020 intake, what do you all think? I should add here that I am planning to do a second Master's next year, but I really wish to avoid it as I am really trying to save some money. Do you think it is useless getting 2 more certifications ? Should I just leave it until 2 years after when I have one more Master's degree? Should I just give up in general since I have applied so many times to no avail? Thank you guys, I am just hopeless and everyone seems to be getting into the EC quite easily, if not in their first dive, definitely in their second. Such a let down to be left behind.
ml12

Are my qualifications enough for the traineeship? Or should I just leave it once and for all? Empty Re: Are my qualifications enough for the traineeship? Or should I just leave it once and for all?

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:37 am
do you know if they accept a certain number of trainees from each state? I think that might be the case since there are people I know who got into traineeship with having less qualifications than you do. Maybe it might be the fact that you already have work experience more than one year?
have you done any other traineeship before?
NadiaCho

Are my qualifications enough for the traineeship? Or should I just leave it once and for all? Empty Re: Are my qualifications enough for the traineeship? Or should I just leave it once and for all?

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:34 am
Hi there, I don't think work experience has anything to do with my failure, cause I know people in their 30s doing the traineeship. Yes, I think they accept a specific percentage of trainees from each country, but still...Greece has a lot of super competitive applicants I guess. And everyone seems to hold two MA or a Phd.
nn123

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:19 pm
If you really want to work at the EU I think you should just focus on passing the EPSO. I believe you already have all the necessary qualifications so I don't think you not getting selected has anything to do with that. But tbh, the selection process is not as transparent as it should be so I actually have no idea how they select trainees... I hope you get selected for the next session if you applied in January. Don't forget to lobby if you do.
Wishing you the best of luck, you will go far even without a traineeship at the EU!
jinulka

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:44 pm
Hey! Goodness me!!! If I was skimming through your CV, I'd take you without hesitation. Well done for still keeping going!!!
I believe your frustration and actually agree with the reply above: why don't you attempt to apply for a regular position? Is there a particular reason why you want to go with the Commission? What about other traineeships? Council, EP, Ombudsman, Committee of Regions, EESC... The 'bodies' for traineeships are all listed here: https://epso.europa.eu/job-opportunities/traineeships_en

There are kind of quotas for countries, yes, according to my information... Possibly, your combination of DGs/agencies as preference might also be affecting your application...

Kindest regards and good luck,

J.
Blue Book Traineeship

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:45 pm
No, you have a perfect profile fro the Commission. Bad luck or some small mistakes that count. Could be also not enough efficient lobby strategy. Another Master will not help, nor more courses. We can have a look in details and find the reason and help you get the traineeship or even an interimaire position or contract agent position. Visit us on Facebook: Blue Book Traineeship Coach or on bluebook-traineeship.eu. Best luck to you!
Alerad

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:12 pm
Hi dear!
I applied 4 time and I've always been selected. I rejected the first 3 proposals because they were not very interesting to me.
From my point of view, you should acquire some work or even volunteering experience abroad. You don't need to add more studies.
I have a degree in International Communication and a Master degree in Water and Coastal Management.
I am Italian and I did my Erasmus in Spain, I did my Master in Spain and Portugal.
When I applied for the EC, I listed my work and internship experiences in 3 different countries (Spain, Portugal and Ecuador). I guess that's why they find my CV interesting.
I know that with the lock-down it would be difficult to move around, but maybe you can select from your CV some volunteering or internship in another country....
All the best and good luck!
jinulka

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:13 am
There is a quota I believe. Thus, some people who would seemingly get in more easily, don't go through. It also depends on how which DGs/agencies you apply, I reckon.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum