Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Iveee

language proof Empty language proof

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:44 pm
Hi dear fellow competitors, maybe future friends,

I was wondering if someone could answer my question.

I did a TOEFEL test 4 years ago. Now, it has expired because, you know, in two years time you forget English completely scratch

Would EC accept my old TOEFEL Test confirmation or should I pay another 200 euros to get a new one?

Thx in advance for your help and good luck to everyone!
lucas1

language proof Empty Re: language proof

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:56 pm
Hey, I do not know about official rules, but last time I applied I wrote level C2, provided old TOEFL, but said that I currently pursue my Master degree in the UK (for which I obviously had a proof) and they accepted it. So maybe if you can prove that you practice English, you will be alright?
P.P

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:12 pm
VALID certificate, ongoing studies, taught in English, or long stay in an english speaking country, can be accepted as a proof.
JanH.

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:20 am
Hey guys, I got into the pre-selection phase and am alos struggling a little bit with the languages.

I got two questions:

1. @lucas1: How did you "say" anything on the uploaded documents, did you attach some self-written statement? I would be doing the same thing - old TOEFL test and my ongoing studies in Barcelona.

2. A couple weeks back I also applied for a DAAD (German academic exchange service) scholarship, for which I had to fill in a form indicating my Spanish skills. Those have been proven to be B1 clearly stating it on that form by the language office of my school. Do you think that's enough for proof? It's an official document from my school, though I don't know if it's technically a certificate...
lucas1

Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:05 pm
Hey JanH., I did not "say" it to the documents, but to the application.. I indicated C2 level and explained that I study abroad. Then I uploaded old TOEFL and proof of studies abroad.
MikeP

Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:50 pm
Hi guys!

I wasnt aware when I made the application that all language proof had to be from the last 2 years. I completed an A Level in French in 2009 (approx C1 level in EU framework) and a B1 level German in 2008. Does this mean that neither of these languages will be counted towards my application and hence I wont pass the eligibility?
This is unreasonable...most of us apply after after graduating and the minimum years for a degree is 3...are we only allowed to learn a language during a degree?!
Luckily I still have proof of English (mother tongue) and Greek (i completed the Cyprus Bar last year) but I doubt 2 languages is enough...

Good luck everyone!
annabusdra

Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:30 pm
Hi guys!
A quick question about the language requirements,
Luckily I have fresh certifications for both English (TOEFL C2) and Mandarin. However, I declared a B1 in French, but the only thing I have is a reference letter from my French language professor at the University of Ottawa.
Do you think it'd be enough, since Ottawa is a French speaking place?
blossom

Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:36 pm
annabusdra wrote:Hi guys!
A quick question about the language requirements,
Luckily I have fresh certifications for both English (TOEFL C2) and Mandarin. However, I declared a B1 in French, but the only thing I have is a reference letter from my French language professor at the University of Ottawa.
Do you think it'd be enough, since Ottawa is a French speaking place?

>>Recommendation letters from employers are accepted only as proof for the declared work experience, not for your declared language knowledge.<<

I think that unfortunately the reference letter from your professor is included in this restriction.. Neutral
annabusdra

Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:50 am
Even if it's a letter stating that I attended and passed a French b1 class?
candidate

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:07 pm
Uploading valid and relevant certificates is very important for being included in the blue book. A classmate of mine got a message from the EC office last week that language skills are one of the top criteria used for pre-identifying applicants. Since every point matters, they are going to be strict with checking candidates' data to let them go through. It makes sense cause the reason some got in and others didn't is namely because of reaching the threshold. If one can't prove that s/he really has those skills and, importantly, the skills are up-to-date then it is not fair for those that did not reach the threshold. Anyway, get ready for a month of waiting!
luisramos

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Same here, I had the certificate for a c1 level but it had 4 years old. As I didn't want to take any chances I took an English exam to verify my level and uploaded the new certificate along with the exams results I took in Erasmus. However, I sent an e-mail to the traineeship office and I was told that if you could send proof of time spent in a foreign country or 4 marks on exams taken in English, the application shouldn't have any problem and it would be aproved. So the problem relies, as told above, on the strength of your documents and how the recruiters evaluate them because from what I understanded, after being accepted in the blue book, the recruiters will then select the profiles that most adjust their preferences. The evaluaters can validate your application and documents but the recruiters may not have the same opinion and prefer an applicant that studied abroad for a long period of time or one with a certificate up to date.
But it is my first time applying so I don't know if this logic is correct, if someone could clarify me on this it would be greatly appreciated.
lol

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:16 pm
The whole 2-years old certificate thing surprises me a lot, since I found out about it in the preselection e-mail and unfortunately have a CPE certificate from 2013. I double-checked the official site of the EC traineeships and they do not mention a single thing about it. What is even more surprising - I clearly stated in my application that I have a CPE from 2013, so why on earth would they even preselect me if it was obvious that I was not going to make it to the Blue Book given their criteria? Why not give a chance to somebody else instead? Mad
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum