Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Sterre

Brussels bank account? Empty Brussels bank account?

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 pm
Hey y'all,

Can anyone tell me what the advantages of opening a Belgian bank account are, versus just keeping on using my current one?

I've read that Belgian bank cards have a device called Proton on it with which you can pay for example in the Commission cafeterias. But I suppose it should also be possible to pay with cash there, right?

Thanks.
mikaelus

Brussels bank account? Empty Re: Brussels bank account?

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm
You have to be aware that many shops, cafes, restaurants etc. don't accept international cards, but only belgian ones - either working through Proton or Bancontact systems. Of course, you can always pay in cash.
marc88

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:46 pm
I opened mine with INg, fast and easy, and as mikealus said it's easy to pay with the maestro card , accepted everywhere. Not sure about the costs of the account but it's way cheaper than at home (in france) where I hate those thiefs. Ing is also really good for the internet online bank. I'd say it's definitely worth having an acount here if you stay over 3 months, also to receive money from home or pay your rent etc.
MarilouV88

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 am
I am also with ING and it was really easy to open (and FREE). They are used to interns if you go to their schuman branch, they also speak English. I got my mastreo card in about 2 weeks.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum