Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
stevedale84

The importance of French Empty The importance of French

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:15 pm
Just to let you know about my experience.
I had an interview today (finally!) with my favourite unit.  Very Happy it went pretty well, hopefully, but eventually the guy who called me remarked that I don't know French.
Besides mine, I speak two languages fluent and one at intermediate level but not French.
Earlier today I got informed that Legal Service didn't select me and the first thing I really thought was that my weak point is this one: not knowing French. While the Court of Justice uses it as its main language.
I am a lawyer and I did lobby, it seems to be working!  Wink 
I believe that for people with my background and also for others, French is simply fundamental... so I don't want to delude myself.
Your ideas, as usual?

Anyway, I replied by saying that I love learning new languages (which is true) and I am very interested in learning French as well!  lol! 
minnie mouse

The importance of French Empty Re: The importance of French

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:29 pm
It's arguable whether French is fundamental or not, it depends on a particular unit or DG. While some are essentially francophone, in other there are trainees or even employees who can't speak French. Don't lose hope Smile
Other languages, on the other hand, may only be useful if you're interested in a unit that deals specifically with a particular country. If you're more into something "horizontal", forget - additional languages on your CV are tittle-tattle. You're not really going to use them at work, so they won't give you any advantage at the recruitment stage. C'est la vie. And yes, it applies to German too.
eeritrejaa

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:57 pm
stevedale84 wrote:Just to let you know about my experience.
I had an interview today (finally!) with my favourite unit.  Very Happy it went pretty well, hopefully, but eventually the guy who called me remarked that I don't know French.
Besides mine, I speak two languages fluent and one at intermediate level but not French.
Earlier today I got informed that Legal Service didn't select me and the first thing I really thought was that my weak point is this one: not knowing French. While the Court of Justice uses it as its main language.
I am a lawyer and I did lobby, it seems to be working!  Wink 
I believe that for people with my background and also for others, French is simply fundamental... so I don't want to delude myself.
Your ideas, as usual?

Anyway, I replied by saying that I love learning new languages (which is true) and I am very interested in learning French as well!  lol! 

I think that's a great answer  Very Happy 
But I also think it really depends thought, if the head of the unit is french and if the work is with court's decisions, then possibly french is really a big plus, otherwise no.

Can I please ask you if you lobbied at Legal Service and with which units? And did you have an interview? What was the e-mail from Legal Service saying? I also lobbied and got a reply that my CV was sent to the board which decides about trainees, but then got no answer. Thanks!
stevedale84

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:02 pm
I lobbied at the following teams: MIME, CONC and AFFAIR, but only the last replied. Same as you, my email was forwarded to HR and today they sent me an email saying I'm not one of the lucky ones...
No interviews, it seems that they choose only on the basis of application/CV.
I guess they will complete their selection in these days.
Maria123

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:15 am
Hi,

My French was tested. My French is not the greatest. I understand and write better than I speak, but I was told in my interview that negotiations happen in English , but the language can suddenly change to French so it would be good to be able to follow. Then they told me I will get better in Brussels for sure.  Very Happy You are right. Depends on DG. Eg. anything to do with agriculture is of course in French... tongue 
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum