Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Aneena
Aneena

The most popular DGs Empty The most popular DGs

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:37 am
Relative popularity of Directorates-General/Services
on the basis of 6,000 applications on average per stage period

Most popular DGs
- External Relations DG (600-700 applicants)
- Education and Culture DG (400-500 applicants)
Very popular DGs (300-400 applicants each)
- Legal Service
- Press and Communication Service
- Competition DG
- Employment and Social Affairs DG
- Environment DG
- Development DG
- Enlargement DG
- Humanitarian Aid Office
DGs receiving 200-300 applications each
- Economic and Financial Affairs DG
- Regional Policy DG
- Enterprise DG
DGs receiving 100-200 applications each
- Secretariat General
- Agriculture DG
- Energy and Transport DG
- Research DG/Joint Research Centre (combined)
- Information Society DG
- Internal Market DG
- Justice and Home Affairs DG
- Health and Consumer Protection DG
- Trade DG
- EuropeAid Cooperation Office
DGs receiving under 100 applicants each
- Fisheries DG
- Taxation and Customs Union DG
- Eurostat (Luxembourg)
- Personnel and Administration DG
- Informatics Directorate (Luxembourg)
- Budget DG
- Financial Control DG
- Joint Interpreting and Conference Service
- Publications Office (Luxembourg)

Found here: www.ukrep.be/stage.pdf

It is very well possible that the rules changed with the autumn session 2009-2010. As I was informed before that the profiles were blocked and for some time only available to the chosen DGs, this year they are available to any DG and there is no preference. So I don't even know why we are supposed to choose a DG.
And the rules also changed - there used to be always 3x more candidates than places after preselection, now it is 5x candidates per place which makes it much more difficult and competitive.
Sol

The most popular DGs Empty Re: The most popular DGs

Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:12 pm
These statistics are very "old"...like 2002 I guess! What about make a poll here? Aneena: thanks a lot for this space!
Aneena
Aneena

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:25 pm
I know they are old, but I talked to my friends and they all applied to the same DGs - the most popular on the list. Unfortunately I also chose the 3 most popular DGs, we'll see if I manage to get the internship. Now I know that it was a mistake, if I don't get a place in this session next time I will be more cautious when choosing my 3 DGs.
fran

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:01 pm
It is true that these statistics are very old, but I think the main trends are the same.
I'm sure there are a lot of people applying for internships related to external relations like relex, development, humanitarian aid or enlargement.

And I know for sure from a guest lecturer we've had who is working for the Commission that for example the dg budget is still one of the less popular choices, in his words: 'no one is applying for dg budget'. Too bad my academic background has nothing to do with budget, so I didn't choose that one either.
lamazi

Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:13 pm
I applied for the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency. Unfortunately I don't know how many people usually apply there. My first choice was also EAC, because I've studied Pedagogy and I had thought everybody would be interested in trade, budget, competition... but it seems I was wrong Wink
gaia

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:59 pm
Hello everybody,
I'm Gaia, I have just signed in.
I'd like to thank Aneena first of all for this useful blog - it's nice to share information and opinions with other would-be stageaires..
I was wondering if any of you knows about people in their thirties who have been selected for the internship.
I'm 31 and I have applied for the EC Traineeship because I am now getting a second degree in Development Studies (first one was in Languages), and an internship is compulsory to get my degree.
I have 5 years work experience in various sectors and I would have to take unpaid leave (i'm working now) if I'm selected.
I have applied to DGs EuropeAid, Humanitarian Aid (because of my present course of studies) and Trade (due to previous studies and work experience in international trade).
I hope my work experience is a plus and not an handicap...that's why I ask about the average age of trainees.
Aneena
Aneena

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:29 pm
Hello,
I am asking around and most of the stagiaires I know are about 27-30, so I guess with 31 you will fit well into the picture. THere is no special age limit, the Commission wants to give equally chance to fresh graduates as well as to people with some working experience. I wouldn't be too worried about the age and just wait patiently for the results Smile
Sponsored content