Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Monicaa

Results are out! What now? Empty Results are out! What now?

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:14 am
Hello! Congrats to all of you who got preselected for the Blue Book!
Are you guys just waiting now for the DGs to contact you? I saw a lot of ppl on this site talking about lobbying.

JoJo92

Results are out! What now? Empty Re: Results are out! What now?

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:33 am
I've been emailing the DGs I'm most interested in. I have had responses from a few and no reply from others.
The ones who I have sent emails to have generally replied quite positively, saying they'll keep an eye out for me in the blue book. Its up to you how you'd like to approach it I suppose.
I suggest lobbying, there are a lot of preselected candidates so anything you can do to help yourself stand out is good.
Monicaa

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:14 pm
JoJo, so you started contacting them before being preselected?
TanzVerbot

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:52 pm
Congrats to everyone who made it through to this round.

So unlike JoJo, I didn't lobby in advance of pre-selection but I am remedying this now. Sent a few emails out about two hours after the notification came. Obviously I haven't heard anything back yet but fingers crossed.

I would definitely recommend lobbying though because there are still three times as many applicants as there are positions and I don't think it can do any harm to get your name out there.

Best of luck & fingers crossed we'll soon know each other by more than our forum monikers Laughing
Monicaa

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:04 pm
Where do you get their e-mail adresses from?
JoJo92

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:29 pm
Hey Monicaa,

Yeah I did email about 6/7 units before I was pre-selected. There was a chance it could backfire but most were positive, like I said.

Some emails you can find by googling the name of the head of unit, their email might be written on an old article/ document they wrote. Otherwise with surname and first name you can work out their email.
For the commission:
john.smith@ec.europa.eu
For the EEAS
john.smith@eeas.europa.eu

This should work for most of them, its harder if they have 2/3 surnames, I think normally there is a dot or hyphen between.

TanzVerbot

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:36 pm
Hi Monicaa,

Sorry for the delay - just seeing this now. As far as I know, emails are generally formatted as firstname.surname@ec.europa.eu.

The way I approached lobbying is as follows:

1. Research the DGs at https://ec.europa.eu/info/departments_en
2. Check the "Oranisation chart" (aka Organigramme), e.g. https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/organisation-chart-dg-budg_en.pdf
3. Look at the various Units and see which ones I am interested in
4. Reach out to the unit head via email, explaining that I was pre-selected and explaining why I am interested in their work and how I can contribute. I also attached my CV for their convenience, along with my candidate number (so they can find me in the Blue Book) and my phone number (so they can call me)

Then I suppose it is a waiting game, glued to a phone.

Good luck - I'm crossing my fingers for all of us!
giova23

Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:59 pm
Does anybody have any clue about who to contact in EEAS? It's between directors/deputy heads/managing directors/ etc. Question
omark

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:21 pm
Are you sure that the EC traineeship also includes EEAS ?
JoJo92

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:05 pm
It definitely is included in the commission traineeship. There is no separate EEAS traineeship intake.

And its listed above how to research who you should be getting in touch with. Head of Unit or relevant directorate. Check the organisation charts.

Monicaa

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:19 am
Thank you, Jojo and TanzVerbot!
TanzVerbot

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:30 pm
I've gotten a couple of responses via email thus far. Nothing too encouraging - both units replied simply to say that they are not sure whether they will have any trainees this autumn but that they will keep me in mind if they do. But it's nice that they replied at all.

Anyone else any news?
mon

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:24 pm
I sent approx 10 emails yesterday evening, to DG JUST and DG HOME and got so far only one reply saying that they won´t have any interns this session. I guess it takes them a while.
Sarah10

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:12 pm
Hey all, I'm new here, congratz on getting this far!
So a few things: I mostly use EUWhoisWho (http://europa.eu/whoiswho/public/) for contacts and names and to see the hierarchy. It's basically like a huge phonebook. I also try and copy secretaries and assistants in my emails as much as possible. Email addresses for all Commission employees are firstname.surname@ec.europa.eu and if they have a double surname, it is firstname.surname-surname@ec.europa.eu.

YES EEAS is in Commission internship choices, but their emails end in @eeas.europa.eu. Also the most wanted internships and therefore VERY hard to get.

The general directive is to write to Head of Unit level, because that's the people who look at your application and have to make the decision. Higher up your email is likely to just get tossed.

I got advised to start lobbying very early, so I did all my efforts at the end of May already, because it seems you stand out if you start early. If you haven't yet, do it NOW because decisions are being taken in the next few days, I think I read somewhere that it will take them about 2 weeks max to give all the spots away, so go for it fast. A personalised short email is the way to go.

ALWAYS use Europass CV because otherwise they say it doesn't even get looked at.
And you can randomly get called for interviews on the spot, I was on a train today and just got called for an interview. It seems some people get placements without ever having contact with the department in question, because they just liked them, but I think that's rare.

Finally if you know people in the Commission, go for it, and many people also contact their PermRep in Brussels to lobby for them on the basis of nationality and through their contacts at the Commission, so that's another way to go.

Good luck to everyone Smile
abdat

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:47 pm
Hello everyone. I would like to congratulate everyone for reaching this stage. I have tried to send a couple of emails to some units. I didn't receive any responses yet. Plus no department called me or sent email as of yet. I changed address after application and communicated with the traineeship on the contact email they provided us many times but to no avail. Considering this i am a bit concerned. If we can share here units that responded it. I am open to ideas on how i can reach the traineeship office (other than the contact email they gave us) so that they can change my address.Thank you in advance.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum