Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Aneena
Aneena

Careful with cheaters! Empty Careful with cheaters!

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:53 pm
I received some room offers from apparent scammers - I googled the e-mails and names of the people and they are offering nice rooms, at a reasonable price, however those rooms apparently don't even exist. You transfer them the deposit before your arrival, come to Brussels and there's nobody and nothing under the given address.

I found my guy here:
http://parishousingscamwatch.wordpress.com/2008/06/27/updated-list-of-scammers-lurking-on-craigslist-paris/

Here some useful information how not to get cheated on:
http://hubpages.com/hub/craigslistparishousingscams

Apparently in Brussels there are many many scammers :/ Never came across one in other cities I was living in the wide world, but I guess it's a good idea to be careful when it comes to Brussels.

They send weird e-mails, somehow suspicious (that's why I googled them) - don't trust in anything you get Smile
nandana

Careful with cheaters! Empty Re: Careful with cheaters!

Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:09 pm
Yep, and don't trust even those ones who send nice and normal e-mails. I got scammed in New York last fall pretty badly and refuse to transfer to my money to any account (it wasn't even Western Union or anything like that!) before I have actually seen the apartment and the person. Do the same. That is also what the EC says in their housing recommendations - NEVER send money beforehand to strangers.

I googled and did a lot of background research, too, but that scammer was not recognized yet...now s/he is. Be careful!
jolita

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:12 pm
Yes, but what to do if majority is asking a deposit before they will keep the property reserved.
nandana

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:14 pm
If somebody can confirm you that this apartment really exists and the landlord exists & is identifiable + that you have signed a proper contract, I guess then you can pay something to a bank account (definitely not Western union!). I'm being super-careful now, before I actually trusted people who seemed trustworthy...if you have a friend that can go and see the place, that would be best.
jolita

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:24 pm
But that is the problem that I do not know nobody in Brussel...
and have not too much ideas how to find accomondation (rational in price)...
in addition...this scammers 'history'...
seems that I am giving up with all these searchings.
mikaelus

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:32 pm
I was doing my Erasmus in Bxl and actually rented a room not before but after I got there. I could recommend finding people through CouchSurfing and HospitalityClub, so you can arrange to see a few flats by yourself while staying there for free for a few days. And it's a great way to meet people who are really friendly and open to foreigners Smile

Remember that it is Brussels, so there's plenty of offers in the market and you shouldn't have any problems with finding something suitable during the few days you're hosted by a local person. Besides, he or she could prove to be a useful guide if you haven't been to Bxl yet Smile

I actually found a great and cheap room on the second day of looking for accomodation (although I admit the first day, and the first 5-6 flats, were really demanding mentally Wink if you know what I mean). Yet, as usual it is best to put trust in yourself only, unless you have really good friends there. That's why it could be good to have a base camp in the city and then start looking for your perfect place Wink

Last edited by mikaelus on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
nandana

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:37 pm
I agree with mikaelus - I'm going to check out apartments for one week in Brussels in mid-September, and hopefully staying a few nights with couchsurfers, and a few nights at some friends...I booked the first night in a hostel though, just in case Smile

Right now there are probably loads of people looking for rooms (students, trainees), which is why I can imagine that also trustworthy landlords ask for a deposit.

Good luck to you all!
jolita

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:20 pm
I also agree with Mikaelus

Good for you who are going just for the aparment checks before...

Me, myself I am coming 2 days before my traineeship....so if I won't manage to find some place I am gonna to the hostel as well.

Today I went to the bank to talk about the security of the deposit. The bank has adviced me to make arrangement with landlord of paying just about 30% of deposit (of course, if it will work out) and to get the endorsement from tha landlord of getting the money.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum