Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Translators

+9
rachaelrosen
etetet
Irruiz
NicoMartin
Silvernight
Rise and Shine
leighleigh
SaraAmaro
ShefaniGirl
13 posters
Go down
ShefaniGirl

For Translators Empty For Translators

Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:02 pm
Hi! So, as I believe there aren't many of us here, I thought maybe we should gather around so we don't get lost on different threads.

My questions are: have you received an offer yet? If you did, they contacted you by phone or e-mail? What is you A language? Is it true they usually have 12 candidates per language and only 2 positions per language? Did any of you lobby at all? At what point should we lose our hope?

On another topic, does anyone know if there's already a facebook page for the march/2017 traineeship???
Irruiz

For Translators Empty Re: For Translators

Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:12 pm
Hi!

I am also a translator and quite interested in what you ask. I haven't received an offer yet and it appears they have until Thursday to contact the selected candidates (according to what someone said in another thread).

Two translators posted yesterday that they had received an email. They didn't say anything about a phone call. I didn't lobby. I only learnt yesterday that people do that. I thought that was for other candidates, since we have a separate application and, therefore, can only go to one directorate.

Maybe, if you want to have more answers, you can post on the other thread that you have created a thread for translators to share their experience, doubts, ...
Silvernight

Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:20 pm
I only received an email yesterday, no phone call. It appears the offer is non-binding at this stage. Mother tongue: Lithuanian. I didn't lobby or plan to.
ShefaniGirl

Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:28 pm
Hi Irruiz! Welcome and good luck!

Yes, I saw the comments from the translators selected yesterday! Its weird because no one else said anything about being selected, so I keep wondering if they've already selected ALL translators or if its a different process for each language. I remember people from previous years saying that the same person was calling to contact people from all different languages, so I don't know what to expect.

Its so frustrating that we cant lobby. I just wanted to do something to be noticed. I feel like I'm doing nothing to get this traineeship.

By the way, my language is Portuguese, do you mind sharing which is yours?
Irruiz

Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:32 pm
Spanish.

I don't know about other translators but they might have been chosen already. I don't think many people know about this forum, so we cannot know anything for sure.
VeCorrez

Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:37 pm
Hi guys! I received this mail :
"Dear candidate,
We are pleased to announce you that you have been pre-selected for a traineeship with the European Commission for the March 2017 session. Your application will be included in the Blue Book.
Selected candidates will be contacted by the DGT traineeship coordinator as soon as the selection is done. Please bear in mind that these contacts are not binding and that only a written placement offer from the Traineeships Office will confirm that you have been selected as a trainee.
Please notice furthermore that the number of pre-selected candidates is much higher than the number of available trainee positions. Therefore, being preselected is no guarantee that you will be offered a trainee placement.
There is no need to contact the Directorate-General for Translation at this stage
."

but I'm not quite sure what it means!! is there even a chance I might be selected? I would wanna get my hopes up for nothing, if you know what I mean Smile

etetet

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:31 pm
good call to start a separate thread.

i got the same message and no offer thus far. feel like it could go both ways, tbh.

i hadnt really looked much into the process and didnt realize i was limiting myself to so much fewer spots by specifying i wanted the translation gig.

crossing my fingers for all of us, except the mediterranean ones, i guess.

good luck and dont be sad if it doesnt go through. we can always try again.
etetet

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:39 pm
oh ps. i didnt lobby—nor would i know how to, were it necessary—and i think they were heavily attempting to make us not reach out based on the way the emails were phrased.
ShefaniGirl

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:21 pm
VeCorrez wrote:Hi guys! I received this mail :
"Dear candidate,
We are pleased to announce you that you have been pre-selected for a traineeship with the European Commission for the March 2017 session. Your application will be included in the Blue Book.
Selected candidates will be contacted by the DGT traineeship coordinator as soon as the selection is done. Please bear in mind that these contacts are not binding and that only a written placement offer from the Traineeships Office will confirm that you have been selected as a trainee.
Please notice furthermore that the number of pre-selected candidates is much higher than the number of available trainee positions. Therefore, being preselected is no guarantee that you will be offered a trainee placement.
There is no need to contact the Directorate-General for Translation at this stage
."

but I'm not quite sure what it means!! is there even a chance I might be selected? I would wanna get my hopes up for nothing, if you know what I mean Smile

Hi VeCorrez! I think that's the message most of us received these past days. I believe it means we got to the last phase and that we have great chances, but the traineeship is definitely not guaranteed yet. Good luck, hope you get a place! Smile
ShefaniGirl

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:27 pm
etetet wrote:good call to start a separate thread.

i got the same message and no offer thus far. feel like it could go both ways, tbh.

i hadnt really looked much into the process and didnt realize i was limiting myself to so much fewer spots by specifying i wanted the translation gig.

crossing my fingers for all of us, except the mediterranean ones, i guess.

good luck and dont be sad if it doesnt go through. we can always try again.

Hi etetet! Yes, I think we have less places to fill, but I think the number of applicants for the translation traineeship is waaaay lower too, and at least we don't have to lobby.
Good luck, hope you get a place! Smile
NicoMartin

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:53 pm
Hi, everyone and congrats for making it through to the Blue Book!

In my case, I received an email with a traineeship offer for Luxembourg. However, it results that it's not an official offer and the binding offers will be sent in late January (hope they don't change their choice for some reason Very Happy). For the protocol - my native language is Bulgarian and I didn't lobby.

Wish you all the best of luck!
Irruiz

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:04 am
I guess that if someone receives that email it means that they will receive the binding offer, won't they? I believe there should be strong reasons for a candidate who received the email not to receive the binding offer. What do you think?
ShefaniGirl

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:52 am
Hi everyone! Congrats NicoMartin, it looks like you've got a spot! Hope you enjoy Lux.

Yes, Irruiz, I think this offer they received its pretty binding! I don't see they coming back on these decisions.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I'm starting to feel its not happening. From what I've read in this forum, from previous years, everybody was contacted immediately after the confirmation of the eligibility check. I also don't see any reason for why they would contact some translators now and others only in January for a positive answer. I believe everyone was already selected, and the e-mails were probably sent together. And if we didn't get one... Crying or Very sad
Irruiz

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:52 am
But are there only two selected translators in this forum? For other traineeships the selection process is still ongoing. I want to believe the different languages have different people in charge who are selecting the candidates and that's why not all emails were sent at the same time. Maybe I'm being too hopeful. Also, we can also go to Brussels and no translator here seems to have received the traineeship there... I just hope that, at least, they let us know in the case that we are not selected.
NicoMartin

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:05 am
Irruiz wrote:But are there only two selected translators in this forum? For other traineeships the selection process is still ongoing. I want to believe the different languages have different people in charge who are selecting the candidates and that's why not all emails were sent at the same time. Maybe I'm being too hopeful. Also, we can also go to Brussels and no translator here seems to have received the traineeship there... I just hope that, at least, they let us know in the case that we are not selected.

Hey, only two days have passed from the announcement of the preselection results, so anything might happen Very Happy And frankly, I didn't believe that I was going to hear from them so soon. In my opinion, since every country in the Directorate General for Translation has its own unit, the process may differentiate.
Rise and Shine

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:40 am
I agree with NicoMartin, the process might be different for DGT since there are different units (or at least I hope since I haven't been contacted yet Smile ).

Also, as far as I understand all trainees that have received an invitation mail for a traineeship have not received a phone call from the EC, right?
NicoMartin

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:56 am
Rise and Shine wrote:I agree with NicoMartin, the process might be different for DGT since there are different units (or at least I hope since I haven't been contacted yet Smile ).

Also, as far as I understand all trainees that have received an invitation mail for a traineeship have not received a phone call from the EC, right?

Nope, directly an email.
Rise and Shine

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:59 pm
Hi everyone! Did you receive any news today? Someone else has received an internship offfer or was called by DGT? Thank you!
Irruiz

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:03 pm
Hi!

I didn't receive anything. What about the rest?
SaraAmaro

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:31 am
Hello, translators

Today I was told through e-mail that I've been selected for a traineeship in the Directorate General for Translation in Luxembourg. Anybody else from Portugal?
leighleigh

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:03 am
pale
Rise and Shine

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:51 pm
Hi translators! Has anyone received a notification for a traineeship in Brussels yet? Or all offers were sent only for Lux?

Thanks Smile
Irruiz

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:09 pm
Hi!

Do you know if today was the last day to receive the offer?

rachaelrosen

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:04 pm
Irruiz wrote:Hi!

I second this question...

Has anyone been in contact with the DGT other than those already selected?

Best,

RR
Rise and Shine

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:14 pm
rachaelrosen wrote:

I second this question...

Has anyone been in contact with the DGT other than those already selected?
Best,

RR

Hi RR!
You mean a different Directorate that our mother tongue?
Not yet anyway... what about the rest?
Rise and Shine

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:18 pm

I wish our selection process differs a little from the administrative one and that we can still receive an offer, but well..I don't know. Apparently no one here was contacted for a traineeship in Bxl, I'm hoping for that. But still a lot of trainees don't know about this forum, so I honestly don't know what to think yet Shocked ...
rachaelrosen

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:19 pm
Rise and Shine wrote:

Hi RR!

Pardon, I meant to say other than those candidates who have already been selected, rather than a different Directorate! For example, to ask for clarification regarding selection dates, etc.

Best,

RR
Rise and Shine

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:25 pm
rachaelrosen wrote:
Rise and Shine wrote:

Hi RR!

Pardon, I meant to say other than those candidates who have already been selected, rather than a different Directorate! For example, to ask for clarification regarding selection dates, etc.
Best,

RR

I haven't been selected and I still did not ask for a clarification yet.. I'll probably try sending an email next week. But hope is the last to die sunny what about you? Did anyone else ask for clarifications?
etetet

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:33 am
i have another question: do most applicants for the translation traineeship have a background in translating? (academic—beyond fluency in languages—or professional)

Silvernight

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:39 am
I have both the academic and professional background in translation. In fact, specifically in the field of EU documents, which probably had to do a lot with the reason I was picked.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum