Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

October 2016 Traineeship

+29
kuerbispalme
oly103
nadiadeis
Carlita
MR91
Pieluszkin
Charles.
anamrnt
rcirkova15
rts
Nuria
Lib91
bea1
dida16
Okezie
Daniele267
lol
Antonnio
Merk
sabinacarjan
ABC
candidate
MASD
Dalaimushroom
VegMel
Olaya103
n.haroutun
nito09
wica
33 posters
Go down
wica

October 2016 Traineeship Empty October 2016 Traineeship

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:49 am
Hi All,

I just wanted to open this thread for the October 16 EP Traineeship so that we can discuss any news about preliminary or final notifications.

Please do share if you have any information!

As for myself, beginning of June I was contacted by a Unit, requesting to send a CV and motivation letter. However, they advised they received more than 900 applications with indicated interest in the same topic, so I don't have high hopes for getting selected Smile Final results were promised to be published "within six weeks", so basically mid-July.

Cheers!
lol

October 2016 Traineeship Empty Re: October 2016 Traineeship

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:35 pm
Hi,

thanks for creating this thread.

I was not contacted by any Unit, so not really hoping to get in.

Do you mind me asking which "indicated interest in the same topic" was so popular among other applicants that they received over 900 applications?

I personally chose the legal-linguistic verification of legal acts (as first domain) and european law/institutional law (as second domain) and am wondering whether I stand any chance...

Good luck!
wica

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:44 pm
lol wrote:Hi,

thanks for creating this thread.

I was not contacted by any Unit, so not really hoping to get in.

Do you mind me asking which "indicated interest in the same topic" was so popular among other applicants that they received over 900 applications?

I personally chose the legal-linguistic verification of legal acts (as first domain) and european law/institutional law (as second domain) and am wondering whether I stand any chance...

Good luck!

Hey,

My interest was International Development (Development Cooperation)

Wish you good luck! Smile
nito09

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:22 pm
Hello,

Any response anyone? Seeing from the thread of last week, it seems that they send emails of selection during the first week of July
lol

Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:13 am
nito09 wrote:Hello,

Any response anyone? Seeing from the thread of last week, it seems that they send emails of selection during the first week of July

Do you mean last week or last year?

Last year it was the first week of July, but two years ago it was mid-July;)

Nothing yet for me.
nito09

Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:25 am
lol wrote:
nito09 wrote:Hello,

Do you mean last week or last year?

Last year it was the first week of July, but two years ago it was mid-July;)

Nothing yet for me.

My mistake, I meant the thread of last year Smile !
n.haroutun

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:07 am
Hello!
Really quiet in here compared to last years Smile
This week should be it!!!
Good luck to all.
Olaya103

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:12 am
No answer for me neither. Has anyone received some sort of positive signal?

Mid-June I was also contacted by a Unit, but I haven't had more news for the time being.

Good luck to everyone!! Very Happy
VegMel

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:39 am
wica wrote:

Hey,

My interest was International Development (Development Cooperation)

Wish you good luck! Smile

Hi, I was wondering which Unit contacted you?

As for me, I was contacted by DEVE (Committee on Development) in early June. But haven't heard back since then. My first domain was Fundamental rights and citizenship / Constitutional affairs and second domain was Development of non-EU countries.
Dalaimushroom

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:40 am
No answer for me either. Also got contacted in June by Dev unit.
bea1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:40 am
Hi guys!!
Same for me, I was contacted by a Unit in June (phone call) but still no answer.
Good luck to all of you!!! Smile
MASD

Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:33 am
Hey guys!

As I hear most people have been contacted by a Unit already, I was wondering if anybody has heard back from social/employment policy?

I haven't been contacted by anyone so far and I get the feeling that chances are not very high to receive a positive response at that stage...
candidate

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:59 pm
A few applicants got selected last year without any prior communication. I do not know how far this would be valid this year since it may well be that departments could prefer calling a shortlist of candidates. It is possible that they got more candidates applying for the upcoming session and that is why they are taking more time than the previous year to announce. I suppose they can send the notifications any time - from this afternoon till end of July as it is officially stated.
ABC

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:13 pm
I think we can expect the results this week Smile
Pieluszkin

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:01 am
candidate wrote:I suppose they can send the notifications any time - from this afternoon till end of July as it is officially stated.  

Good day all!

In the first half of June, I - like some of you - was also contacted by the unit of my interest that I had indicated in the application form. I was interviewed for roughly a quarter and apparently did well enough, since the interviewer informed me that, in result, they shortlisted me and hoped for me to be ultimately selected by the Traineeships Office. She predicted the final decision to arrive "at some point in July".

The only "official" information about the date of the selection process to finish on that I found is this:

14. When will I know if I have been selected?

Approximately 8 weeks after the closing date of the application period, you will receive one
of the three following messages: you have either been selected, placed on a reserve list or
your application was not successful. Please do not contact the Traineeships Office asking
when you will be notified. Every selection, around 8 000 - 10 000 applications are introduced
and it takes some time to process all of them.

Source: FAQs
Daniele267

Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:05 pm
Hey peeps,

In the confirmation email it says:

"Candidates will be notified by e-mail of the results of the selection:
- in late July (for traineeships starting on 1 October)
- in late December (for traineeships starting on 1 March)."

So we'll hear back within the next two weeks.

They might have been busy with Brexit too.

Good luck to everyone!
Dalaimushroom

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:38 am
Got an email this morning. Put on a reserve list Sad Good luck to all of you! Smile
Olaya103

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:40 am
Same for me, reserve list..Congratulations to the lucky ones!! Smile
sabinacarjan

Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:37 pm
Hello,
What DG where you applying for? Because I think that if you were placed o a reserve list and I still haven't got any message, my chances are rather low...
ABC

Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:49 pm
Although you are put on the reserve list, you still can be accepted, because every year some of accepted candidates decline acceptance. I've been accepted cheers. Can't wait to get laid something in Strasbourg lol!
VegMel

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:25 pm
Congratulations! Did you get your answer today? From which Unit?
Daniele267

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:29 pm
I was shortlisted for "traineeship for university graduates in the General Secretariat of the European Parliament, Directorate-General for Interpretation and Conferences, Information Technology and IT Support Unit in BRUSSELS".

What about everyone else? x
VegMel

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:38 pm
Unfortunately I was not short listed, just received an email now. Good luck to those who are still waiting!
Merk

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:01 pm
My application has not been retained

I'm quite demoralized: that's my seventh attempt to get a traineeship program in one of the european institutions and no one was successful.

It seems that a master's degree, three languages, 3 years of working experience in legal professions are not enough to be just pre-selected.

Crying or Very sad
lol

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:10 pm
Merk wrote:My application has not been retained

I'm quite demoralized: that's my seventh attempt to get a traineeship program in one of the european institutions and no one was successful.

It seems that a master's degree, three languages, 3 years of working experience in legal professions are not enough to be just pre-selected.

Crying or Very sad

It was my second attempt and was rejected again by 4 institutions I have applied for. I guess 3 master's degree and 5 languages are not good enough as well, besides different traineeships and senseless courses...

Maybe it is about time to think about a PhD? lol!

I am going to apply anyway for the next session. Just for fun - going for a record!
Okezie

Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:00 am
Hey peeps! I wasn't shortlisted - got notified yesterday. I really felt sad about it though and I keep wondering what has one got to do to have a successful application. That was my fourth attempt at traineeship for these institutions.

Congrats to ABC and Daniele67. However, could you guys share your winning tips? Let's learn so we can have a shot at it again - I aint done yet & would apply again

Goodluck to everyone else!
Antonnio

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:07 pm
I also was not shortlisted though I got in the reserve list for another EU institution. So theoretically I guess I have some chances left even though in reality I have no idea whether that chance is valid or close to zero.

Maybe there is no exemplary case where one can get shortlisted because evidently what works for one EU body does not necessarily work for another. You may only have a Bachelor's degree and an Erasmus period abroad and still do a traineeship! I do not think I am trying my hand at this again simply because I do not know how to improve my profile. No, I am not going to uni again for further Master studies or to learn another language - I am happy with the three I have studied so far. Plus if I get a decent job in my field of interest why should I bother about a 5-month traineeship? There are more than 2000 people who are doing a traineeship at the EU institutions, bodies and agencies every year. If you think that you are gonna be unique with having this on your CV, than you certainly won't be so do not do it for that reason. To those who made it - have a good time!
lol

Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:49 pm
Antonnio wrote:I also was not shortlisted though I got in the reserve list for another EU institution. So theoretically I guess I have some chances left even  though in reality I have no idea whether that chance is valid or close to zero.

Maybe there is no exemplary case where one can get shortlisted because evidently what works for one EU body does not necessarily work for another. You may only have a Bachelor's degree and an Erasmus period abroad and still do a traineeship! I do not think I am trying my hand at this again simply because I do not know how to improve my profile. No, I am not going to uni again for further Master studies or to learn another language - I am happy with the three I have studied so far. Plus if I get a decent job in my field of interest why should I bother about a 5-month traineeship? There are more than 2000 people who are doing a traineeship at the EU institutions, bodies and agencies every year. If you think that you are gonna be unique with having this on your CV, than you certainly won't be so do not do it for that reason. To those who made it - have a good time!

You're absolutely right. Although I really would like to know what they are looking for in candidates and what I am doing wrong. The whole selection process seems extremely unclear and frustrating.

Anyway, wishing everyone who got in a great time as well!
Daniele267

Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:01 pm
Hi, I'm sorry to hear some of you didn't get shortlisted.

Okezie asked about tips, I was given some really useful advice when applying, including from people at the European Commission who had an idea of what the recruiters would be looking for.

The main thing was that your written English needs to be more than perfect. Every sentence should be crafted to the very high standards or the EU (asking a native English speaker to proof-read your application would not be enough. You should seek the help of a translator or linguist). They only accept about 2 to 3% of applications so any indication that your English isn't perfect is probably enough to have your application discarded, even if your qualifications are top notch. This also means perfect grammar, punctuation, capitalisations etc.

The second thing I was advised to do was to write my motivation paragraph in the order of what is most important for them to know. Not chronological as I would tend to do (starting with where I was born and finishing with my latest accomplishments) but should be from most important information to least important.  The reader will also get an idea of who you are by seeing what information you consider important about yourself.

The third thing was something I read online, about how to describe yourself. It shouldn't be a list of what you have done "I attended this school, and I had this job where I did those things" but should talk about how the skills you've acquired could benefit them. (Although I only read this piece of advice after sending my application and didn't do it the right way so not sure how useful this is).

I hope this can help. Mainly, languages are very important to them and to have a chance, you need to be one of the few applications with perfect syntaxe, spelling, grammar etc.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what makes a difference.

All the best and good luck to everyone,

Daniele x
Okezie

Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:48 pm
Daniele thanks abunch for the heads up. I really wouldn't mind been spoonfed with your sample motivation letter at charlsoy2k@yahoo.co.uk. Would you also be kind enough to share us a bit about your background - perhaps that also aided your application
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum