Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Berenice GF

Job families Empty Job families

Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:06 am
Hello everyone,

I looked for something in this forum on job families but didn't find much, so here it goes...

When applying for the EC traineeship, I was a bit concerned about my job family choice. There were 20 different options and I was afraid that some of them would be (the very general ones) over-picked by applicants and that others like, say inspection or logistical support, would have few applicants but be nevertheless in demand in many units. I personally chose Politics, which really looks like the one 8000 out of 9883 chose. But it was the most interesting!

Any thoughts/information on the trends in job families applications, which type are the most sought for by the employers? The dos (strategic choice of job families) and don'ts?

Thank you so much for any answer! I guess it won't change anything to our fate as our applications are sent and not correctable but at least I feel I get some of this selection-process anxiety out by sharing.  bounce

Bérénice Smile
safa

Job families Empty Re: Job families

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:33 pm
Hello Bérénice, I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but in my case I chose Planning, quality management and evaluation because it's most relevant to my field, architecture and urban planning.
Can I ask you how did you know that 8000 out of 9883 applicants chose politics? where can I find statistics for applications?
candidate

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:44 pm
I remember reading one of the old threads that the majority of applicants do tend to choose external relations / politics as their preferred area. However, it is also true that blue book applicants can also receive an offer from other departments should the officials there like their profile and consider it as compatible. It turns out that while it is good to have a consistent profile showing training and education related to a certain field it is also beneficial if candidates have also demonstrated participation or engagement in some other sphere.
Berenice GF

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:55 pm
Thanks for your answers Safa and Candidate!

Safa : I made up that "statistic" of 8000/9883, it was just a way of saying maybe a lot of people choose that area. Wink I would actually like to know the numbers too!

Candidate : thank you, it reassures me a bit that the process is somewhat flexible.
safa

Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:24 pm
I found the statistics from this year and the previous ones:

https://ec.europa.eu/stages/online/cv/application_statistics.cfm?session=86

There were 9883 applicants this session as opposed to 24705 applicants for October 2015. 14822 of difference, awesome!
candidate

Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:54 pm
Actually for the March session there is always less number of applicants than for September. Last September the total number of candidates was a record breaking one. However, if you see it in more detail, you will notice that out of the 24 000-odd applicants, around 10 000 are non-EU. The Commission can take around 650 applicants in total at most. Out of all selected ones around 600 are from the EU and a very small number is from outside the EU which makes sense since there is enough competition among the 28 EU member states together with the 5 candidate countries. Anyway, patience is a virtue, get used to waiting Very Happy
safa

Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:11 pm
I see, have you applied before?
candidate

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:15 am
Not for the Commission, but for the rest a few times after finishing my Bachelor's and then following the end of my Master's. I have been preselected before but preselection does not translate into being selected. Getting to that stage is a success considering the number of candidates, however the selection is equally difficult to pass since all the pre-selected applicants are equally good to be taken for traineeship.
OM91

Job families Empty communication

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:00 pm
Hi!
I have one question. You may think I am crazy but.. I completed the application at a time when I was writing my final dissertatio so I was not completely aware of myself ahaha Embarassed  Very Happy  This just to say that I've just realized that I chose the Administrative Trainsheep in the Area of Interest: Information, Communication and Pubblications.

So, what would you suggest? To lobby just DG Communication or also the Historical archives and the specific units devoted to Communication in each DG?

Thank you Smile

Last edited by OM91 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistakes)
Sponsored content