Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
nuttsnutts

Is it possible to start later than March? Empty Is it possible to start later than March?

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:15 pm
Hej!
Does anyone have experience or knows if it is possible to start the internship later than March?
I read in the internship policy that the internship must be a minimum of 3 months.
Would it be then possible to start for example in April and stay until August?
Or is the EC actually very strict about the arrival date?
Thanks for sharing your experience!
n.
FionaC

Is it possible to start later than March? Empty Re: Is it possible to start later than March?

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:52 am
Doesn't the traineeship start with a compulsory 2-day conference?
My guess is you can't stay on until August, because there will be almost nothing going on that month, but as I said, it's just a guess. You should really be asking the TO about this.
Ivyspirit

Is it possible to start later than March? Empty Re: Is it possible to start later than March?

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:05 am
http://ec.europa.eu/stages/rules/rules_en.pdf

Page 5, Chapter 5.1 Duration of Traineeship, you have all your answers there!
pinhead

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:38 pm
People, use the search function in the forum, I answered this question just 2 days ago.

pinhead wrote:
maxoulab wrote:Hello guys,
If we manage to get an offer by January, when can we start? It's March 2014 session, but it doesn't say more precisely. Is it possible to start end of March? (or 1st of April, 2014). I have class till end of march, 2014 i guess i'm not the only one, no? What do you think guys? Thank you very much and good luck to all of us

DiannaDia wrote:Sofianaxos,
look careful, there are 2 mails..
I got one, I passed the eligibility check..
Who knows, should I start lobby?

I know that in practice, the latest they accept candidates is the 16th of the month in which traineeships are supposed to begin. So, the 16th of March will be the last commencent date accepted and only for exceptional circumstances, for example late selections.

In theory, the rules say that people can be trainees for even 3 months only, but in reality no DG will give you a contract that will be less than 4 months and a half,. i.e. commencing on March 16. (Contracts begin and end either on the 1st or the 16th of each month). If you are not planning to come until April, why will they give you a contract beginning on April 1st, when there are plenty of other candidates available much earlier?

Also, if they do give you a contract but you say at the last moment that you are not able to come at the commencement date, but only 1 month later, your position will simply be offered to another candidate or the position will remain vacant, I do know from other people that they are not accepting such a long delay.

So, don't bother if you are not able to start working full-time on March 16 at the very latest...

So, the answer for user nuttsnutts is also no, sorry, if you don't come by March 16 you are out, try next time. Personal experience speaking.
Elanor

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:27 pm
I know a few people that started this December, while the rest of us started in October. So yes, I do think it is possible, but it depends on the unit. If they have busy times coming up, they might need someone right away and will select someone else who can do the whole 5 months.
eeritrejaa

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:51 pm
Hey guys,
does anybody have more news on this particular topic? The thing is that I am not sure if I can come to Brussels for the first week (administrative welcome, conference...) although I would really like to. I know it's obligatory, but I have a very important exam coming and it seems the date of the exam won't be at the end of February as I was counting and hoping for but in beginning of March (first or second week). When I will know for sure I will contact my Desk at TO and probaly my Unit/mentor that I was asigned to and hope we can manage things out... But of course I am worried that they won't allow me and I will miss my chance Sad
So any info you might have on this is highly appreciated, thanks!
pinhead

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 pm
eeritrejaa wrote:Hey guys,
does anybody have more news on this particular topic? The thing is that I am not sure if I can come to Brussels for the first week (administrative welcome, conference...) although I would really like to. I know it's obligatory, but I have a very important exam coming and it seems the date of the exam won't be at the end of February as I was counting and hoping for but in beginning of March (first or second week). When I will know for sure I will contact my Desk at TO and probaly my Unit/mentor that I was asigned to and hope we can manage things out... But of course I am worried that they won't allow me and I will miss my chance Sad
So any info you might have on this is highly appreciated, thanks!

What else can be said about this that has not already been mentioned? Perhaps the briefing and the conference: if you were to come in mid-March you would not attend these events in any case.
But such a delayed beginning can only be permitted by the Traineeship Office, in a written form of course. We can't know beforehand their answer to your request, it will depend on their needs. After all, you are signing a contract that states a specific date on which you must present yourself, if you cannot do this simply do not sign the contract.
Angelique123

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:57 pm
Hello Pinhead,i have noticed that you are always willing to give an arrogant and discouraging answer to anyone in this forum. If you dont feel to help out with any info you can save it. Goodluck in your selection.
pinhead

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:50 pm
Angelique123 wrote:Hello Pinhead,i have noticed that you are always willing to give an arrogant and discouraging answer to anyone in this forum. If you dont feel to help out with any info you can save it. Goodluck in your selection.

Hello Angelique, in what manner has this answer been discouraging or arrogant, may I ask? I give answers based on my knowledge and experience on those issues that I know, just because someone will not like the answer does not mean that it is me who is making the rules.
What's next, accusing someone of not telling encouraging small lies, thus wasting trainees' valuable time and giving them false hopes?  Surprised 
acromotcv

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:20 pm
The problem is not being arrogant neither the possibility to find out by ourself answers nor to delay the traineeship.
If you believe exams, personal life, other jobs and so on are more important than the traineeship please do not apply at all. You are stealing a great opportunity to someone else more motivated than you and who may deserve it more than you.
lucia_roman

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:28 pm
Eeritrejaa, just write the TO. Given that is is about an exam, they should be able to give you an exception. But I do not think it will be later than 15th of March.
If not, onther solution I can see is to buy another plain ticket just to go back and participate in the exam (which means about 2 days lost time). Though it might seem hectic, it is possible (wel, if you are from the EU and not outside Europe). I did it last year, I was in Brussles and I found out I had an interview or a job, booked up a plane ticket, left in the afternoon, the second day in the morning went to the interview and in the same afternoon took the plane back to Brussels. It might imply a cost of 200 EUR, depending on your location, but it is worth it, in my opinion. Wink
And yes, pinhead, your tone is not helpful, we are not here to hunt places, you know? I don't mean to interfere, but you do sound like a bitter secretary who doesn't like to be bothered, even if it's during working hours :p.

Last edited by lucia_roman on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
pinhead

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 pm
acromotcv wrote:The problem is not being arrogant neither the possibility to find out by ourself answers nor to delay the traineeship.
If you believe exams, personal life, other jobs and so on are more important than the traineeship please do not apply at all. You are stealing a great opportunity to someone else more motivated than you and who may deserve it more than you.

Although I would not perhaps make this statement on a general level, without knowing the individual circumstances of any trainee concerned, how important an exam is, if it had been scheduled too late for the candidate to change his/her programme, etc. I would largely agree with acromotcv as a matter of principle.

I hope people understand by now, that commitments to dates, strict numbers of days of leave during a traineeship, and so on, are not signs of arrogance on behalf of the person who reminds of these obligations, but a necessary part of the professionalism required for this position.

lucia_roman wrote:
I don't mean to interfere, but you do sound like a bitter secretary who doesn't like to be bothered, even if it's during working hours :p.

I wished that personal attacks and insulting statements, even anonymously, were not part of the behaviour of some future EU trainees...
eeritrejaa

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:28 pm
Weeeeell,
I just wanted answers from somebody who delayed traineeship for a few days or knows someone who did it (so it wouldn't seem to impossible).

Of course I want this traineeship!!! And I did thought I would be over with my MA exams by February, but this is not up to me, you see. And I did work hard an prepare both for my MA and for this traineeship. I got information about possible changes the very last moment. Of course I will write to TO when I get more information from my university. I just wanted to see if there is anybody with the same position as mine and who had positive experience with TO regarding this matter. No to be able to do my traineeship just because my university is changing dates or not to be able to finish my MA because of the traineeship?!?! - I mean, it is both important to me. And I guess the majority of you understands that! Thank you all for your replies.
pinhead

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:43 pm
@eeritrejaa:

I think you understand that you are signing a contract with a specific starting date (if you haven't already done this during the previous few days). Your responsibility is to inform the Traineeships Office as soon as possible and not wait until the last moment. Do you not know the exact date of the exam already?
Then they will give you the opportunity to start on March 15 or give the position to someone else who is immediately available, in case they do not change the starting date and you finally decide to take the exams (although it is not likely). Waiting until the best possible moment for you (which is when, the last day of February??) is both unfair and will definitely jeopardize your chances to obtain a later starting date.
eeritrejaa

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:01 pm
Pinhead, of course I know what signing of a contract means, thank you very much! And of course I am not planning on calling TO the last moment. I believe I will get info from my uni tomorrow or Friday, that is why I was asking for opinion on this forum, to give me some hope and courage if I would found out that someone succeed with this kind of request to TO.

I don't know why I am even explaining this to you as you're just angry with me or sth and you are not really helpful. If you know anybody who did what I will probably have to do, then please answer. If not, I don't know why you bother even replying, I'm sorry. Anyway, if I am in this weird situation and I am relaxed, I don't know why YOU are so pissed off. It is not as if I'm asking sth that has been discused many times and we all know about it or sth that can be easily found somewhere else. Chill out bro, let's be happy and let's be friends Smile
pinhead

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:31 pm
@eeritrejaa:

No problem. I have already given detailed answers.
I am not pissed off, it is you who is stressed and anxious.
Otherwise, you would ask questions to get real information, which is what this forum is for, and for an issue that has already been exhausted, not questions to get "hope and courage" (I am using your own words), as if this is were psychotherapy counseling.  Rolling Eyes
Acromotv is right, then: make up your mind and fast. There are people waiting in the blue book and definitely more motivated than you. (If you are wondering about me, I have already been involved in a traineeship, so this is not an issue of personal interest).
Martina_

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:06 pm
eeritrejaa wrote:Pinhead, of course I know what signing of a contract means, thank you very much! And of course I am not planning on calling TO the last moment. I believe I will get info from my uni tomorrow or Friday, that is why I was asking for opinion on this forum, to give me some hope and courage if I would found out that someone succeed with this kind of request to TO.

I don't know why I am even explaining this to you as you're just angry with me or sth and you are not really helpful. If you know anybody who did what I will probably have to do, then please answer. If not, I don't know why you bother even replying, I'm sorry. Anyway, if I am in this weird situation and I am relaxed, I don't know why YOU are so pissed off. It is not as if I'm asking sth that has been discused many times and we all know about it or sth that can be easily found somewhere else. Chill out bro, let's be happy and let's be friends Smile

Hey! I hope everything works out with your traineeship! Ignore those that are frustrated, arrogant, and unprofessional. There are no stupid questions, and it's perfectly normal to ask for some advice, hope and courage. Good luck!
DanRan

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:53 pm
"citizen" @pinhead,

I am not gonna bother answering critically to your "words of wisdom" gashing out of every single post you make, because basically - they are utterly useless! As simple as that.
And by the way, we are talking from the position of candidates, I don't know what position you think you are talking from. Do you count yourself as a member of the TO? Should people refer any questions, regarding the process to you if you are that competent, giving people precepts and instructions?! I don't think so!
Come on...
pinhead

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:05 pm
@DanRan @Martina_:

Mind your own business, my friends. Or else, go on and provide some useful information, do not post just to criticise others and make ironic statements yourselves.
After all, I never claimed that I know everything, I am just saying what I do know from my own experience. I would be really happy, and so would be the other members of the forum, if you provided some substantial information, or if you knew something that I do not know and you informed the rest of us, thank you very much.
DanRan

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:02 am
pinhead wrote:@DanRan @Martina_:

Mind your own business, my friends. Or else, go on and provide some useful information, do not post just to criticise others and make ironic statements yourselves.
After all, I never claimed that I know everything, I am just saying what I do know from my own experience. I would be really happy, and so would be the other members of the forum, if you provided some substantial information, or if you knew something that I do not know and you informed the rest of us, thank you very much.

Please, don't tell me what to do! you mind your own business, if you have one, except been here 24/7!
thank you very much indeed!
pinhead

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 am
@DanRan:

Will you stop please? It is you who interfered and started criticising without providing the single bit of information in the first place! If someone should mind his own business, this is only you!

And because I am a generous person, let me give you some advice so that you can be a little less ignorant of the web: you can watch a topic so that notifications come immediately to your email, you don't have to be online all the time, stop chasing ghosts. Peace!
DanRan

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:36 am
pinhead wrote:@DanRan:

Will you stop please? It is you who interfered and started criticising without providing the single bit of information in the first place! If someone should mind his own business, this is only you!

And because I am a generous person, let me give you some advice so that you can be a little less ignorant of the web: you can watch a topic so that notifications come immediately to your email, you don't have to be online all the time, stop chasing ghosts. Peace!

Look mate, the reason because I interfered is because I, and apparently other people on this forum got fed up with your arrogant and useless comments to their posts!
I don't need your generousity and most definately don't call me ignorant, because you are really annoying me!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum