Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
rmm

Statistics related to past application sessions Empty Statistics related to past application sessions

Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:42 pm
Hi to all,
I'm applying now for my second time, the first time I got preselected and I was so happy about it but in the end I got the rejection email...the lady explained to me that for the DG I was applying to (EAC) there were 16 candidates for each available place. That really put me off because I realised that since, all in all, there are 4 preselected candidates for each available place, there are DGs that no one selected as their first preference....This clearly diminishes the chances of the candidates who opted for the most popular DGs, so I was wondering - did anyone find any statistics related to the number of candidates/DG or anything like this? I think that such information would be really helpful for all of us and it's sad that the EC is not very transparent from this point of view. I would be very happy to receive some advice. Thanks and good luck! Very Happy
tamara

Statistics related to past application sessions Empty Re: Statistics related to past application sessions

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:58 pm
Hey rmm,

I asked myself the same question and I founded something in March 2010 section. Hopefully that did not changed much in meantime, so here it is ....

Relative popularity of Directorates-General/Services
on the basis of 6,000 applications on average per stage period

Most popular DGs
- External Relations DG (600-700 applicants)
- Education and Culture DG (400-500 applicants)
Very popular DGs (300-400 applicants each)
- Legal Service
- Press and Communication Service
- Competition DG
- Employment and Social Affairs DG
- Environment DG
- Development DG
- Enlargement DG
- Humanitarian Aid Office
DGs receiving 200-300 applications each
- Economic and Financial Affairs DG
- Regional Policy DG
- Enterprise DG
DGs receiving 100-200 applications each
- Secretariat General
- Agriculture DG
- Energy and Transport DG
- Research DG/Joint Research Centre (combined)
- Information Society DG
- Internal Market DG
- Justice and Home Affairs DG
- Health and Consumer Protection DG
- Trade DG
- EuropeAid Cooperation Office
DGs receiving under 100 applicants each
- Fisheries DG
- Taxation and Customs Union DG
- Eurostat (Luxembourg)
- Personnel and Administration DG
- Informatics Directorate (Luxembourg)
- Budget DG
- Financial Control DG
- Joint Interpreting and Conference Service
- Publications Office (Luxembourg)

Found here: www.ukrep.be/stage.pdf
Aneena
Aneena

Statistics related to past application sessions Empty Re: Statistics related to past application sessions

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:20 pm
I think this info is from 2004 or something like that, maybe even older
erasoft

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:32 pm
tamara wrote:Relative popularity of Directorates-General/Services
on the basis of 6,000 applications on average per stage period
Now, the number of applications is rather in the 10,000... but the number of actual trainees did not change much Sad
XabaCs

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:24 pm
When I submitted my application (Monday 29.08), there where ab. 4.500 applications sent (deducted my Candidate number from the last passed the October pre-selection). But from previous experience I learned that this means practically nothing...in the last few days this # can double if not more.
Maybe if someone submits his/her Application really late..can make us more enlightened ab. the current applicants mass. Smile
That is, if they don't post it really early @ https://ec.europa.eu/stages/online/followup/application_statistics.cfm
XabaCs

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:29 pm
So..statistics related to current application are already available at: https://ec.europa.eu/stages/online/followup/application_statistics.cfm?session=77

We are really few, compared to last years applicants, less then 8.800!! Very Happy
tournesol

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:50 pm
You are right, there aren't many applicants this year...but why? Smile And I don't know if this is really a positive point or not.
elina

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:07 pm
i hope it's positive...this is the second time i am applying-wasn't even preselected last time...let's hope for the best...i have heard it is easier to be selected for the march intake rather than for october...good luck to all!;-)
XabaCs

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:38 pm
The 2011-Oktober session's statistics related to FINAL SELECTIONS are published!
https://ec.europa.eu/stages/online/followup/application_statistics.cfm?session=76

Don't want to get anyone's moral down, but the passing chances where 5.25%. That' aprox. 1 person out of 20! Fortunately for us, in this session, the candidates number is a lot lower.
I find it surprising, that from some countries nobody passed, such as: Czeh Rep., Slovakia, Slovenia; and from Poland only 1 person had success out of 449 candidates(what's up with that??..I had a good impression ab. polish ppl.+education).
An other thing I noticed is, there where only 547selected candidates!! No matter how you twist the words, that is NOT roughly 600! What happened to the other ~50????

Anyways, I find it a good thing that they decided to publish such figures, at least we get an idea of things. But still, I don't think its enough...I still have lots of questions I can't find answers to...and I bet I am not the only one.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:08 pm
OMG! This is disturbing! And Polish... of 449 only 1 selected! Crazy!

Last years was at least balanced!
XabaCs

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:37 pm
Yeah...really bizarre!
kanes

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:41 pm
It does seem strange but I believe that the stats published are flawed. There is no apparent reason why no one from the aforementioned countries managed to pass, so if we add a reasonable number of Czechs, Slovaks and Slovenians we get to about 600.

Of course, this is still bad news because I expected something like ~650, so it is still 50 less trainees...
Montecito08

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:52 pm
The statistics are not correct. Unless the Slovakians, Czechs and Slovenes I have spoken to here have changed their nationality in the meantime.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:47 pm
Hi guys, me again...

You talked here about how applicants are selected and how checks their application depending their nationality, but you were talking about EU nationals.
What about Non-EU nationals? Who check applications from Non-EU countries?

Any information about that?
ready4everything

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:51 pm
raluca wrote:@isutalo&mdenic85: it is written on the site: Applications from Third Countries are evaluated by a Committee composed of officials of different nationalities and languages. Good luck

It was already answered in another topic, mdenic85 Wink
kanes

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:53 pm
UPDATE

the stats are now corrected! the final number of trainees for October 2011 is 632, including people from all the countries!

/offtopic
about one month left till we know if we are at least preselected!!! :sigh:
it's going to be a loooooooong wait!
ready4everything

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:17 pm
Talking about statistics...I wish I was Maltese!
Ossory

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:58 pm
XabaCs wrote:So..statistics related to current application are already available at: https://ec.europa.eu/stages/online/followup/application_statistics.cfm?session=77

We are really few, compared to last years applicants, less then 8.800!! Very Happy
True, the odds are looking quite well this year. If around 2,5k candidates make it into the VBB, then more than every fourth person makes the cut (ca. 3,52).
nas

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:31 pm
Hi guys,

I was wondering if somebody have any information on the percentage of trainees that are being preselected & selected for the Translation or/and Administrative traineeship from the overall number.

I have the impression that the Administrative traineeship have the largest number of application submitted.

How many of 2.5k that make it into the BB or being selected, are Administrative traineeships versus Translation ? (maybe Aneena could help Smile

GLDFSH

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:07 pm
Interesting how many more people apply for the October Traineeships than the March ones...It's particularly pronounced for Irish people - twice as many apply for the October round, it seems to be the same every year. The odds also seem unusually good for Irish people - for March applications there seems to be a ratio of about 4:1 or 5:1 and for the October round about 6:1 or 7:1. This compares to roughly 15:1 on average in recent years.....Not that I'm complaining Razz

Last edited by GLDFSH on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add an emoticon!)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum