Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
kapo123

Papers or publications? Empty Papers or publications?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:19 am
Hey everyone,

am new here so forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere.

Does anyone how the 3.D tab on 'Papers or Publications on European Topics' works?
It says "If you have studied or published works on European topics or are preparing any such studies, please tick accordingly and specify up to three" - as I have studied European Studies, most of what I've done in uni is on European topics! Should I just put down a selection of these? And if so, should I send these with the application file?

Anybody know anything about this?
tonita

Papers or publications? Empty Re: Papers or publications?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:42 am
Hi,
I am also curious about what it means "European topic"...?
Franzi86

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:58 pm
You definitely shouldn't send copies with the application, it says under Application-How-Please Note: "Do not send copies of your PhD thesis or any publications"

If I were you, I'd pick stuff like BA/MA thesis topics, so in general big/important publications and not just a small term paper you once wrote. Then again, I'd also check if you have any topics which are closely related to the DGs you apply for, might be helpful.
tonita

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:26 pm
Thanks a lot!
tiana_suk

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:23 pm
f***! I sent my article with my application Sad will i get disqualified???
tonita

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:49 pm
Personally I thing that sending the article wouldn`t be a problem tiana_suk. Probably they will just ignore it...!
Laopa

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:48 am
During my studies, I have written a paper (not published, just for one of my courses) about a European topic (related to the DG I am applying). Even if it is not much (15-20 pages), do you think I should mention it?

Another question: I am writing my master's degree dissertation about the transcription in my country of a European Directive, through a legislative decree; what about this? Do you think it can be considered of any interest?
The fact is, that both are written in my language, which is one of the Eu languages, but not one of the working ones (English, German and French), and I don't have time to translate them. I also don't know if I should write their titles in English, or leave them in my own language.

Please help!
Franzi86

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:52 pm
I would definitely mention both, it can't hurt, right? I suggest translating the titles into English and either leave it like that or add something like "(originally written in *yourlanguage*)".

Just my opinion maybe someone else disagrees.
Laopa

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:53 pm
Franzi86 wrote:I would definitely mention both, it can't hurt, right? I suggest translating the titles into English and either leave it like that or add something like "(originally written in *yourlanguage*)".

Just my opinion maybe someone else disagrees.

Thanks for your answer, I'm really not sure about what to do!
lamazi

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:23 pm
@ Laopa: Mention both - I think i t cannot be a disadvantage!
natalita

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:24 pm
When listing, for example, scientific articles published in various journals for PhD etc., the title in the language they are written is sufficient, especially if they are in one of EU's official languages. But, as others said, it wouldn't hurt to include a translation in English. If you are not sure that your works qualify in this field (myself I would only include MA/BA, published materials, academic researches etc.), there's always a lot of space in motivation part where you may mention everything Smile
Laopa

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:28 pm
natalita wrote:When listing, for example, scientific articles published in various journals for PhD etc., the title in the language they are written is sufficient, especially if they are in one of EU's official languages. But, as others said, it wouldn't hurt to include a translation in English. If you are not sure that your works qualify in this field (myself I would only include MA/BA, published materials, academic researches etc.), there's always a lot of space in motivation part where you may mention everything Smile

Thanks, in fact I mentioned both of them in the motivation part, as they are related to the DGs I applied to! Maybe the best thing is to cite only the master's degree dissertation, as the other paper seems to me not so important, or at least not so worth it.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum