Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

October 2019 Traineeship

+89
Melian6
justanothercandidate
AnnaAnti
angel9
Annikkiii5911
Lucille.cdv
Trainee_SJ
marge7
lara.zangoni
martamartam
gmat
krisa11
Alex18
Eun
Edding
deightt
maiora
ALon
barbara5
Wolverine
Bruselas2020
rosalp
Romualdo
puempipi
sarah1
adam sostrum
LeocF
Unknowwwn
john90
Beire
ghums
fmslan
djleons
June06
Antoaneta_03
aghata.srezende
apl.2019
Rea24
Melamela
radar934
csanglez
zwe2014
SimonaAnna25
id123
ECIntern
HaHoHe
KingJamesEU
PatLit
AWP2050
ros
Kleeblue
Luis13
okaps 12
iratiik
translator
rin94
beoleo
heheb
tatarskaomacka
Niko
anpa
nellyg
JG91
Haykuhi
amundsen1
uni
Emvfri
elinaa
dcs
YaYa
Printsess_B
to88
TubaTube
Trainee2019
oxymorons06
sy lee
Meridionale
pp10
zs96
zubeman
C123
laurasarah11
Cavo
ania94
Davidoff78
cmarie28
Gmzel
lj_be
elif
93 posters
Go down
AWP2050

October 2019 Traineeship - Page 8 Empty Re: October 2019 Traineeship

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:55 pm
Literally nothing is logical in the whole selection process. I've heard of a guy "lobbying" EEAS extensively asking them NOT to choose him as his preference went out to DG COMP or TRADE (his other 2 preferences). He got an offer from EEAS anyway in the end lmao. Just really goes to show that there's literally no system or logic in it all. Some lobby e-mails may get read, others may not get read.

Another friend of mine lobbied literally NO ONE (she wasn't aware this was a thing) and got her placement at an EU delegation. It's more of a lottery than anything else imo.
TubaTube

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:47 pm
I have not received any calls yet and I feel like my chances of getting a spot is really low now. I'm just wondering if it is true that most of the people who got an offer in the end had received a phone call interviewing them? I understand that some people did not receive any phone calls and receive an offer in the end, but that is rare right?
zwe2014

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:50 pm
Hello!
Does anyone know what the position to adopt is if you've been contacted by several units (in same DG) who more or less all seem to indicate that they're planning on shortlisting you? Is it best to stall or to say yes to all until you've made your choice/seen if your first choice gets in touch etc?
to88

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:06 pm
zwe2014 wrote:Hello!
Does anyone know what the position to adopt is if you've been contacted by several units (in same DG) who more or less all seem to indicate that they're planning on shortlisting you? Is it best to stall or to say yes to all until you've made your choice/seen if your first choice gets in touch etc?

Yea, I was wondering about this as well. A friend of mine in the Commission just told me to say yes to everything. If you get more than one offer, then the traineeship office lets you pick which one you would prefer, apparently.
zwe2014

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:09 pm
to88 wrote:

Yea, I was wondering about this as well. A friend of mine in the Commission just told me to say yes to everything. If you get more than one offer, then the traineeship office lets you pick which one you would prefer, apparently.

Oh right. I've probably been too nice and kept people informed of the fact that other units had contacted me, etc. I've been wondering if once you say yes to one unit it kind of gets put on the database and then no one is going to contact you anymore?

cmarie28

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:15 pm
YaPe wrote:Does anyone of those who also received a call know how long it takes until we receive an offer from the Traineeship Office? I was rather unclear to me after the conversation I had with one of the units... It sounded as if I'd definitely receive an email from the Traineeship Office but they also told me that they were calling several people that day. Does this mean that if you did get a call, you'll always receive some sort of feedback afterwards - even if it's to say that they ultimately selected another candidate for the unit? This entire process is really confusing me at every stage Very Happy

One of the Heads of Unit in DG TRADE told me that the Traineeship Office will contact in the end of June if we have been selected.
cmarie28

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:22 pm
TubaTube wrote:I have not received any calls yet and I feel like my chances of getting a spot is really low now. I'm just wondering if it is true that most of the people who got an offer in the end had received a phone call interviewing them? I understand that some people did not receive any phone calls and receive an offer in the end, but that is rare right?

I'm feeling the same Crying or Very sad I really hoped for DG COMP and it seems they have been making calls and I haven't received one. My only hope left is that DG SJ said their central office was handling everything and I don't see any posts that they have made calls, and that DG TRADE HoUs emailed saying they were forwarding my information to the correct place. I guess we just keep our fingers crossed!
to88

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:30 pm
zwe2014 wrote:
to88 wrote:

Oh right. I've probably been too nice and kept people informed of the fact that other units had contacted me, etc. I've been wondering if once you say yes to one unit it kind of gets put on the database and then no one is going to contact you anymore?

Well, this is just what I have been told. But I think we can all see by now that the system is not particularly transparent (!) so god knows what the right thing to do it!
Emvfri
Emvfri

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:33 pm
I was contacted by another unit from DG COMP and they scheduled a phone call with me for tomorrow. So there is still hope!
uni

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm
Anyone contacted by EAC?
okaps 12

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:27 pm
TubaTube wrote:I have not received any calls yet and I feel like my chances of getting a spot is really low now. I'm just wondering if it is true that most of the people who got an offer in the end had received a phone call interviewing them? I understand that some people did not receive any phone calls and receive an offer in the end, but that is rare right?

Me neither but I applied for the most popular choices such as EEAS and SG so I am comforting myself that they need some more time hahah
csanglez

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:01 pm
Hi! Yesterday a sent a couple of emails and today EEAS Russia wrote me back saying that they have considered my application and that they have already sent a list of candidates.  They told me that should there be any developments with my candidacy,  I would be contacted by the Traineeship office.
Cavo

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 pm
Anyone hear from DG CLIMA or DG ENVI? ☺
radar934

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:34 am
Hi everyone - another Blue Book candidate here Very Happy
I got a call from my first preference the other day and they expressed their interest in me. After a short interview, I was told that they would forward my application to the DG's HR services as their first preference and I was also told that the interest wasn't a formal offer. So since this is my first time applying for a Blue Book traineeship I'm kind of confused as to whether or not I'll get a formal offer. Could I theoretically still get rejected even though the unit will forward my name as their first preference? Hope someone could enlighten me.

And for those interested, I didn't send out one single lobby mail so it seems like it isn't necessary to do.
elinaa
elinaa

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:41 am
radar934 wrote:Hi everyone - another Blue Book candidate here Very Happy
I got a call from my first preference the other day and they expressed their interest in me. After a short interview, I was told that they would forward my application to the DG's HR services as their first preference and I was also told that the interest wasn't a formal offer. So since this is my first time applying for a Blue Book traineeship I'm kind of confused as to whether or not I'll get a formal offer. Could I theoretically still get rejected even though the unit will forward my name as their first preference? Hope someone could enlighten me.

And for those interested, I didn't send out one single lobby mail so it seems like it isn't necessary to do.

Oh, congrats! Indeed I don't think lobbying is always necessary!

However, I have heard from cases where even though you were the first choice, in the end, the HR decided to give someone else the internship. But I think it's super rare so don't worry Smile I think thee is like a 95 % chance that you'll get it Smile
radar934

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:44 am
elinaa wrote:

However, I have heard from cases where even though you were the first choice, in the end, the HR decided to give someone else the internship. But I think it's super rare so don't worry Smile I think thee is like a 95 % chance that you'll get it Smile

I appreciate the reply, thanks! It’s nerve racking to know that I still possibly could get rejected even though my preferred unit has forwarded my name as their first preference. The whole system is very bureaucratic and I hope that we’ll all get replies soon 😅
to88

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 am
radar934 wrote:
elinaa wrote:

I appreciate the reply, thanks! It’s nerve racking to know that I still possibly could get rejected even though my preferred unit has forwarded my name as their first preference. The whole system is very bureaucratic and I hope that we’ll all get replies soon 😅

I am the same, was told by a DG that I am their first choice, but I am still unsure if that means I have the position or not? I am not going to assume it is final until I get an offer from the traineeship office.
TubaTube

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 am
I heard some people get shortlisted without receiving any calls or email. Is this true? Also what happens next after you get shortlisted? What else can you do to prepare?
elinaa
elinaa

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:37 am
TubaTube wrote:I heard some people get shortlisted without receiving any calls or email. Is this true? Also what happens next after you get shortlisted? What else can you do to prepare?

Yes this happened to a friend of mine and I read in this foruù that it can happen, but it's very very rare. Therefore my assumption is that if I have received no call or email, I will not get the traineeship.

After you get shortlisted, if you do, they can either send you an offer or not. there is nothing you can do but wait.
Emvfri
Emvfri

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 am
I had another call with DG COMP. This time they only promised to shortlist me, but said their superior and HR would also have a say in that... the formal offer would then reach me at the end of this month, should I get one.

Again no interrogation, just a few questions of what I have done in the past. The caller was speaking the vast majority of the time. Very Happy
elinaa
elinaa

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:41 am
I'm honestly a bit frustrated about the recruitment process. I really hope someday lobbying is just strictly denied, and that they will make the selection process more transparent. Now I feel like they are just throwing the dice Very Happy
tatarskaomacka

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:58 am
Anyone got a call\email from DG NEAR, REA or JRC?
radar934

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 am
Emvfri wrote:I had another call with DG COMP. This time they only promised to shortlist me, but said their superior and HR would also have a say in that... the formal offer would then reach me at the end of this month, should I get one.

Again no interrogation, just a few questions of what I have done in the past. The caller was speaking the vast majority of the time. Very Happy

After my call, I had the feeling that HR has the final say as well which to me doesn’t really make that much sense if a unit really wants you. Does anyone know on what basis HR is going to determine whether or not to send an offer (besides the situation where multiple units in the same DG/different DG wants you)?
Trainee2019
Trainee2019

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:58 am
radar934 wrote:
Emvfri wrote:I had another call with DG COMP. This time they only promised to shortlist me, but said their superior and HR would also have a say in that... the formal offer would then reach me at the end of this month, should I get one.

After my call, I had the feeling that HR has the final say as well which to me doesn’t really make that much sense if a unit really wants you. Does anyone know on what basis HR is  going to determine whether or not to send an offer (besides the situation where multiple units in the same DG/different DG wants you)?

Not sure, but probably sex and nationality. They have to adjust the % of accepted candidates to the political goals of the Commission.
AWP2050

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:40 pm
nano_yue wrote:
radar934 wrote:

After my call, I had the feeling that HR has the final say as well which to me doesn’t really make that much sense if a unit really wants you. Does anyone know on what basis HR is  going to determine whether or not to send an offer (besides the situation where multiple units in the same DG/different DG wants you)?

Not sure, but probably sex and nationality. They have to adjust the % of accepted candidates to the political goals of the Commission.

Ah, I thought it had to do with your top 3 of preferences. I know that if your second choice contacts you for reservation and wants to offer you the position, but your first choice also wants to offer, then the traineeships office intervenes and gives you the offer of your first choice. So I think this is the reason why they say it's not a guarantee you'll get the position with them as they don't know your top 3 I think. I got called yesterday and they asked me if the DG was one of my preferences or not, so I don't think they get to see/know your preferred DGs.
YaYa

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:55 pm
AWP2050 wrote:
nano_yue wrote:
radar934 wrote:

Ah, I thought it had to do with your top 3 of preferences. I know that if your second choice contacts you for reservation and wants to offer you the position, but your first choice also wants to offer, then the traineeships office intervenes and gives you the offer of your first choice. So I think this is the reason why they say it's not a guarantee you'll get the position with them as they don't know your top 3 I think. I got called yesterday and they asked me if the DG was one of my preferences or not, so I don't think they get to see/know your preferred DGs.

I just talked to one of the directors of a DG and he told me that they can see my preferences and despite them being interested in me, it would be difficult for them to select me since I only indicated their DG as my 3rd choice. So they definitely have access to all of our information.
Trainee2019
Trainee2019

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:59 pm
Guys! I just had a call from DG SG, so if you applied there just make sure your phones are turned on Smile
elinaa
elinaa

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:00 pm
YaPe wrote:
AWP2050 wrote:
nano_yue wrote:
radar934 wrote:

I just talked to one of the directors of a DG and he told me that they can see my preferences and despite them being interested in me, it would be difficult for them to select me since I only indicated their DG as my 3rd choice. So they definitely have access to all of our information.

But this doesn't make a lot of sense then because why would they interview you if they cannot select you?
YaYa

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:34 pm
elinaa wrote:
YaPe wrote:
AWP2050 wrote:
nano_yue wrote:
radar934 wrote:

But this doesn't make a lot of sense then because why would they interview you if they cannot select you?

No, it does. Your 3rd choice DG can indicate you as their preferred candidate and if none of your 1st and 2nd choice wants you, then the Traineeship Office will most likely send you an offer for the 3rd. Only if for instance a unit of your 1st or 2nd choice also wants you as their Trainee, then the Traineeship Office intervenes and will automatically give them priority. But its probably true that it's less likely that you are being interviewed/called/selected by your 3rd choice DG instead of your 1st choice because your 3rd choice is always running the risk of 'losing' the battle to one of the higher prioritised DGs.
cmarie28

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:20 pm
TubaTube wrote:I heard some people get shortlisted without receiving any calls or email. Is this true? Also what happens next after you get shortlisted? What else can you do to prepare?

A colleague of mine who works in a DG said the vast majority actually don't call or email. Our contact information, especially for calling, is not provided in our blue book listing, so unless you have specifically lobbied a unit and they have read your email AND feel it necessary to call, you won't get a call or email before an offer.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum