Go down
StbzzStbzz

A new session: Units; Lobbying; Interviews; Selection; Shortlists; Offers; and more

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:51 am
Hi all!

As we are entering the selection phase - lets catch up Smile

I will start: I'm from the EU, I have selectively lobbied, and have been approached early this week by units from my number 2 and 3 spot on my application. They expressed a big interest.

Have never heard (including lobby period) from my first application spot, Clima, curious if anyone knows about their selection and lobby approach?

Cheers Stbzz
dancingpanda

Re: A new session: Units; Lobbying; Interviews; Selection; Shortlists; Offers; and more

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:24 am
Hey!

So I'm also from the EU and I also selectively lobbied, but I haven't heard back from any of my 3 choices or other DGs which worries me a little bit (a lot).

Not sure if it's because it's difficult to reach me because I'm currently in Africa and phone calls maybe don't come through as they should, or if it's me not meeting their desired profile.

For those who got contacted by phone, did they give you heads up before via e-mail that they would call or did they just spontaneously call you?

Smile
StbzzStbzz

Re: A new session: Units; Lobbying; Interviews; Selection; Shortlists; Offers; and more

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:25 am
Hi dancingpanda!

The phone calls I received were all spontaneous, therefore its possible units attempted to call you and unable to reach you.

Perhaps it is a good idea to notify your units of interest. Calling them could be a good option (as it also shows your ambition and puts you on the radar), you can find phone numbers of staff in each unit in the whoiswho.

I hope this helps - leave a message! Cheers Stbzz
dancingpanda

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:33 am
Hey!

Yeah I could look into it actually... although calling to Europe from where I am is like 4€ per minute Shocked

When I lobbied I added at the end of my e-mail that I was abroad and would appreciate if I got a heads up so that I can make sure my phones work, and I also gave them my European an African numbers, plus e-mail and skype just in case. I was hoping for that to be enough, especially since I also listed it in my actually application.

It's tricky because I asked a friend back at home to test call me and he was able to reach me. But who knows maybe it's not too late yet

Smile
StbzzStbzz

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 am
Hi dancingpanda!

I wrote a message but didn't get through, let me try again.

Personally I would still give them a call, kindly express your ambition to work for the unit and express your willingness to call back at their convenience. They are probably in the midst of calling applicants and don't think they will mind receiving a phone call from an ambitious person. Its a mystery ofcourse why you didn't get a call, there can be many factors, but by calling them you get rid of the mystery

As for your calling cost I recommend that you use voipbuster.com. You can enter your African number and the number in Belgium and it will make a connection. I use it frequently when traveling and usually only costs me several cents per minute.

Hope this will help - goodluck and looking forward to hear! Cheers Stbzzzz
mo.nica

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:45 pm
Hi, All.

I am also EU, I have also lobbied, but no reply until now. I don't know if I should worry or not Smile)
@StbzzStbzz Have you lobbied only with the Heads of Unit or have you tried the emails from HR that were mentioned in the message on ECAS on 01.06?

Thank you.

Greets, M
anna.a

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:58 pm
Hi!

I am also EU and I have also lobbied (both to head of units and to HR offices mentioned in the message about the results of the preselection procedure).
As of today, I was contacted by 3 different units (which I did not lobby), 2 by phone and 1 by email.
Did any of you hear from DG ECHO?
Thanks

Anna
mo.nica

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:17 pm
Dear Anna,

thank you for sharing. I am also interested in DG ECHO and didn't get anything. I have the feeling that most of the DGs are still reviewing applications.
StbzzStbzz

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:33 pm
Curious if anyone has heard from DG-Clima?

Hi @mo.nica!

I would not worry - what I would do is to send a brief follow up email or brief call to the units, expressing your interest. And of course never hurts to reach out to a few more units which you find interesting.

I have contacted both policy officers in units and heads of unit. Personally did not contact HR, but I can imagine that it is a good strategy to inform them of specific units which you find interesting.

Hope this helps looking forward to hear! Cheers Stbzz
martynana

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:05 pm
Hello everyone,

I haven't lobbied and yesterday got an email from a unit at EACEA that they would be calling yesterday and today and to inform them when NOT to call. Haven't heard back from them which is confusing, do you think I should email them again at the end of today? Of course I'm starting to go crazy and think that it was a mistake to tell them that I was available only from 1pm today.

Anyway, how do you guys lobby? Is it really necessary? I mean, if I was a recruiter I would maybe see it as desperate that someone is reminding me of their existence while I am in the middle of looking through all the applications anyway? I mean, we're all good applicants and we all want to get in and they know it... Or do you guys lobby outside of your choices in the application? Not trying to criticise here, rather to understand the whole process.

Good luck to everyone!
dancingpanda

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:24 pm
Hey @martynana!

I have no idea if its really that necessary. It's one of those things that probably depend on many factors.
I got in touch with someone who is now a trainee at Devco and asked him if he thought it was a good idea to lobby, and he said that he did not do it but he encouraged me to do it anyway.

What I did was I wrote the 3 units (to the email that was listed in the platform, and in 2 cases to the heads of unit) I was really interested in and that I thought I could contribute in some way. I just wrote a little paragraph that I was very interested in them and what academic and work experience I had that was relevant (2 lines). And then at the end added my contact details (phone, email, skype) and Blue Book number.

I'm still debating with myself whether to lobby outside my 3 preferences... what did the rest do?

Good luck everyone! Smile
nkhurtsi

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:11 pm
Hi everyone,
Non-EU here. Also wondering whether to lobby outside of the 3 preferences or no. Looks like it doesn't really matter though, some people i know got in without any lobbying.
That is usually very subjective decision from the DGs side and doesn't seem to be depending on the motivation you show further via emailing them :/
Good luck to us! Very Happy
mzz

on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:46 pm
Hi everyone!

I will share my experience with the process.

In the beginning I wrote to three DGs that were on my preferred list, so to the emails that we received once accepted into the Blue Book.  

I have then had a call from one unit from DG COMP on Monday, however they did not say anything about me getting the position (they told me that I should get an answer at end of June or beginning of July), on Tuesday I have also had a call from DG GROW, which was also one of my preferences. Here they immediately offered me a spot in the unit, I was told that I was shortlisted and their first pick. But the trick was that I had only two days to accept it or not, and the unit in DG COMP again said (when I told them about the second offer) that I would have to wait until the end of the month.

In the end I took the position in DG GROW. So, if there are any other Trainees that will join DG GROW, let me know Smile

My first pick would be DG COMP but I am aware that there is a massive amount of people wanting to get in and I was not willing to take the risk that I would end up without having a traineeship in the end.  

I have also gotten an email from a DG that was not even in my preferred options, so DG ENV contacted me.

If I were you, I would try to write emails to the heads of units that you prefer (check on the website whoiswho), I feel that writing to them can only be beneficial and it shows that extra interest that you have to work there.

Wish you all the best with your applications and hope to meet you this year! Very Happy
1m8r

on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm
Hi everyone!

I have also contacted some head of units (DG HOME), so far i have received only one answer and it has been negative. i have read online that it isn't necessary bad to not be contacted before the end of June.

Fingers cross!
AeonG

on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 pm
Hi, where did you find the contact details for the heads of each unit?
anna.a

on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:36 pm
Hi 1m8r,

Can I ask which unit from DG Home gave you the negative answer?
I have also contacted some head of units but did not hear anything from any of them.

Thanks

1m8r

on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:38 pm
Hi anna.a. It was C.2. If you haven't received anything from them is either we aren't good enough OR they do not interview anyone...fingers cross for the second option! Cool
AeonG

on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:52 pm
So, where did you find the contact details for the head of units?
1m8r

on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:55 pm
You need to find them yourself. They are public in the DG website:) just google your DG and the head of the units and that's all!
katerisa

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:11 am
Hi!
Has anyone heard from either EEAS or ECHO? I am slightly nervous as I lobbied perhaps a bit too late (about four or five days after getting the message about Blue Book) - not sure if things go as fast at this point though for me to be late after just a few days?
anna.a

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 am
Hey katerisa,

I lobbied them the day after the results of the preselection came out and I did not hear anything from them!

Anna
Sylvia_Ath

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:42 am
Has anyone heard from DG COMP? I got some information that the majority of Directorates have already chosen their trainees, from week 1!!
katerisa

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:34 pm
Thanks Anna! I hope they will contact us soon and that it works out for both of us. Today I got contacted by a someone outside my choice but that position would not be in Brussels, it would be in my country of origin. Of course, it is better than nothing but I have a strong preference for Brussels and either EEAS or ECHO, maybe DEVCO (which was not my original choice though). I really hope they start responding soon.
martin.takacs

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:08 pm
I also got informed that the selection has been finished yesterday at noon. So I guess if I haven't been connected by then I am kind of out.
AeonG

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:26 pm
Where do you all get this information?

I was contacted later yesterday. Therefore, I do not think any selection has been completed.
martin.takacs

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:29 pm
I have received that from DG Energy, no information from EEAS though.
katerisa

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 pm
I think Martin might be right about the selection being over for some DGs (considering particularly the amount of people interested in them). On the other hand, as for the ones where large amounts of people are interested (let's be honest, the EEAS or ECHO probably being among them), I think the process might take longer. After all, nobody here said they have gotten any word from any of these. Let's wait and hope, I guess Smile
martynana

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:09 pm
Guys, are you sure about the selection being over? Because if you look at this forum from previous years, the selection can last until late August...

I've been contacted by a unit saying that they were interested and to schedule an interview- it was scheduled twice and they didn't call me. Don't know if I should contatc them again and remind or is that too much? any advice?
zuz_

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:00 pm
Hey everybody!

I would not stress about the selection being over Smile

My experience: I was contacted by two units, both being my preferences. When I asked about the next steps of the selection procedure, I got two completely different answers. One of the units picked or "reserved" their trainee yesterday at noon, the other one had to postpone the interviews due to heavy workload to this week.

Best luck to you all!
martin.takacs

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm
Glad for you, no approaches made so far in my case.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum