Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interviews

+29
omark
Monicaa
Nensi
JudyM
rl19
Erik1986
slow123
GwladysF
pjb35
abdat
goahead
Laura3
lu_cette
mrkr
giova23
TanzVerbot
SiriF
SarahNiMhairtin
Heca
bilgeyis
marta_k
JoJo92
Eun
mon
gufetta
vitSvit
Nafa
merlyne
Zugi
33 posters
Go down
mrkr

Interviews Empty Interviews

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:11 pm
Hi guys, so far I've been lurking here but now I have a question of my own: has anyone had an interview yet? I have one tomorrow with DG COMP but I'm not sure what to expect from an 'informal' interview (as it is described on the EC's website). It's scheduled to last 30 minutes, should I just consider it to be a job interview like all others? Also, does anyone from earlier years have any experience to share?
JoJo92

Interviews Empty Re: Interviews

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:28 pm
I had one with DEVCO yesterday morning, so different set up I assume. But yes, treat it like a formal interview, better to over do it than to be too casual.

I was asked some questions about the unit, the work they do, why I am interested. The most 'interview style' question was :' share with me an example of a time when you used your analytical thinking or problem solving skills'.

Good luck!!
Zugi

Interviews Empty Interview

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:00 pm
Hi everyone,

I just had my first interview with DG MOVE/ENER. It was a really strange interview because my career path so far (and in the future) has no connection whatsoever with mobility or transport or anything from that field. Still, anything is better than nothing.
The DG that I wanted contacted me but haven't said anything about the interview, just asked me if I was available and interested. Should I send them any reminder that I exist or show initiative for an interview?
marta_k

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:51 pm
Hi everyone,

Congrats on getting this far and good luck with the last stage of recruitment!

I will share my interview experiences, because I know it can be quite useful (I have read previous years threads and found them very helpful in understanding this part of the process).

I've applied for the EC traineeship for the very first time and to my surprise I've received a lot of interest (5 contacts) thus far (with the blue book being published on monday only) mostly from units in my preferred DG (ECFIN). I also have not lobbied ( I planned to but some units were faster than me Very Happy ).

From my experience most of the units pick 4 candidates from the blue book and interview them in order to create an ordered shortlist that they will submit to the EC HR office by the end of this week.

Most of the interviews had a really relaxed atmosphere with heads of the units first presenting the work they do in this particular unit and explaining the future tasks of the trainee followed by inquiry of my motivation, expectations and background. Only during one interview I was actually "tested" on my knowledge or fit for the position.

Also, all interviewers asked me whether I was contacted by other units and which one I would preferred most. On the one hand, I understand their strategy - they don't want to all fight for the same person, but on the other hand I feel like revealing my preferences seemed like putting myself into the disadvantage. Let's imagine that I am not the first choice for my preferred unit (I actually cannot know what they think of me as they refuse to give such information) and I say to my second preferred unit that they are only a second option for me and then they will drop me or put me lower in their list just because of that? Then it can happen that I won't get an offer neither from my first choice nor my second choice... Sad It's frustrating that we are playing some strategic game with each other without knowing our "opponents" moves..

I look forward to hearing other people's impressions and opinions!
merlyne

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:52 pm
Have you lobbied mrkr??
mrkr wrote:Hi guys, so far I've been lurking here but now I have a question of my own: has anyone had an interview yet? I have one tomorrow with DG COMP but I'm not sure what to expect from an 'informal' interview (as it is described on the EC's website). It's scheduled to last 30 minutes, should I just consider it to be a job interview like all others? Also, does anyone from earlier years have any experience to share?
merlyne

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:20 pm
Congrats to anyone who has already been called/selected, I am personally already starting to lose hope here, this is the fourth time I make it to the blue book without being finally selected. I tried different strategies, lobbying, not lobbying, contacting generale and personal email addresses, the only replies I ever got were the automatic ones.
I am a non EU candidate so I understand there are little places for a lot of applications but I believe this is the last time I am applying.
Is any non EU candidate here experiencing the same thing?
TanzVerbot

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:26 pm
Definitely agree with the comment on these "have you been contacted by other DGs?" questions. I have received two phone calls. The first, from a unit within DG Connect, committed to naming me as one of three candidates. The second, from a unit within DG Grow, seemed to commit to choosing me but were very curious as to who else was in communication with me thus far.

I answered honestly and the tone of our interview seemed to shift a bit. In retrospect, I wish I had said no because it seems I am a backup choice for the first unit and that I may have deterred the second unit, who seemed more certain about me.

It's hard to tell, but if I am called again and asked the same question, I will say that I was contacted by someone in DG Comp or something, but that ultimately I felt that my profile was not compatible with their efforts.
Nafa

Interviews Empty Shortlisted

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Hi everyone!

I'm pretty lost here. I received a call from an Unit and they wanted to shortlist my name. It was in the same day as the results were published, so I felt it a little "scarying", as I thought that if you are shortlisted and they choose you early enough, then it's either you take it or leave it, as once you refuse an offer you are out of the Blue Book. Am I wrong here? Should I have told them yes even if I was not too appealed to their work...?
And about the lobbying, in the message they sent us it is underlined to not do it yet, but in the future, when they send us the emails of the DGs and Units that are ok with it. Am I the only one waiting for the "permission" to arrive? hahah

Thanks for any answer!

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:25 pm
merlyne, I am going through the same thing. I am a candidate from a non-EU country, a PhD from a French university with a sound professional experience in my country. Nobody has contacted me so far and I am not planning to lobby. This is the first and the last time I apply.
vitSvit

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:29 pm
Hi merlyne,

I'm also a non-EU applicant. However, it is my first and I hope the last attempt to get an internship.
I have the same feeling, I guess the chance is too small. This year, there are around 8700 applicants from non-EU countries. Statistic shows that each time they take only 50-60 of us.

we will see. Hope we will all have internships =)
abdat

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:34 pm
@ merlyne i am also a non EU applicant. This is my first time applying for this traineeship. I am in the same boat as you. I wrote to around 5 units and didn't receive any reply. I didn't recieve phone call from any unit yet. I attributed this to the change of address. But now after your message i am wondering if it has to do with being non EU. This session there were more non EU compared to previous sessions as per the statistics. I wish good luck to everyone here.
gufetta

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Hi to everyone and many congrats to whoever has arrived here after this long process!

I would also like to share my personal experience as a pre-selected candidate in the Blue Book.

Till now I have the luck to have three offers from Secretariat General, EASME & EEAS, telling me that in the list of shortlisted candidates I am their first preference. They also told me that they will communicate their list of preferences on Friday and then wait to see soon the results of the matching process. They also stressed that no official decisions have been taken at this stage and that we need to await final arbitration of the responsible service in DG EAC.

And now my question is: after saying to all three that I am interested with partially revealing them my preference for EASME & EEAS and last for SG, what is the next step? In my case, for instance, all three offers will be presented to me and then I (and may of you ii this forum) will have to choose?

What role will play the fact that on my application I have put EEAS as third choice and from the other two first choices of my application I was not contacted at all?

Sorry for the long post and I am looking forward to read your input. Very Happy

Good luck!!
mon

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:04 am
I received so far only one call, DG EMPL, it was very easygoing, as was previous mentioned, the head of unit only introduced the work of the unit and ask whether I am interested, they he said that he will place me on the shortlist and then the HR will contact me. However, to be honest I don´t really get the procedure, will all shortlisted people get the internship? Or will the HR pick only one candidate from the list?

Has anyone received calls from DG JUST or HOME?
Eun

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:46 am
Hello merlyne! I am also a non EU applicant. I haven't got any calls nor emails from the DGs.
I did not contact them yet, I don't know if I should or not since it seems like some of the candidates are already getting calls but the message says that it is not necessary at this stage.
This is my first time to be in the blue book and I am honored. But I am losing hopes already too. Non Europeans don't have a quota and this year the number of non-Europeans is quite large.
I am an Asian living in Asia so I hope they are not calling me because of time difference or some other reason! not because they are not interested in me!
Congrats to everyone who are short-listed and fingers crossed for those who are still waiting.
Monicaa

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:04 am
Hello!
I didn't get any call or e-mail either..I am from EU. I heard that they could contact us one week after the preselection too, so I keep hoping! I didn't send any mail either, as they said that we do not have to contact the Commision's services at this stage..
Monicaa

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:20 am
TanzVerbot wrote:Definitely agree with the comment on these "have you been contacted by other DGs?" questions. I have received two phone calls. The first, from a unit within DG Connect, committed to naming me as one of three candidates. The second, from a unit within DG Grow, seemed to commit to choosing me but were very curious as to who else was in communication with me thus far.

I answered honestly and the tone of our interview seemed to shift a bit. In retrospect, I wish I had said no because it seems I am a backup choice for the first unit and that I may have deterred the second unit, who seemed more certain about me.

It's hard to tell, but if I am called again and asked the same question, I will say that I was contacted by someone in DG Comp or something, but that ultimately I felt that my profile was not compatible with their efforts.

- TanzVerbot, were the DG that contacted you those that you were interested in?
- Did you send them any e-mail?
- Do you see a cause-effect relation between your e-mails and them contacting you?
goahead

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:45 am
Hi Nafa, I have not done any lobbying yet, also waiting for the email list that they are going to send to us. Otherwise, I feel it is improper to lobby as the they have emphasized "no need to contact at this stage", so I decide to wait.

Yesterday, I got a email from a DG asking me whether I am interested in their position. The DG is not among my preferred three, but the position suits my profile very well. I replied "yes" to the DG. I have not got any further reply yet. Did your Unit say explictly that it would shortlist you?

Good luck everyone.

Nafa wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm pretty lost here. I received a call from an Unit and they wanted to shortlist my name. It was in the same day as the results were published, so I felt it a little "scarying", as I thought that if you are shortlisted and they choose you early enough, then it's either you take it or leave it, as once you refuse an offer you are out of the Blue Book. Am I wrong here? Should I have told them yes even if I was not too appealed to their work...?
And about the lobbying, in the message they sent us it is underlined to not do it yet, but in the future, when they send us the emails of the DGs and Units that are ok with it. Am I the only one waiting for the "permission" to arrive? hahah

Thanks for any answer!
Monicaa

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:01 am
What are your profiles? Do you have work experience in the field of work of those DG who contacted you?

I was happy for the preselection, but the fact that others have been called and not me is a little bit discouraging.

- I have 2 bachelor degrees: one in Law, one in International Relations
- I have a master degree in International Development in my country
- Master degree in International Project Management in a foreign country
- 2 Erasmus + mobilities
- 3 Work&Travel Programs in United States (1year)
- 3 years since I live in a foreign country
- Polyglotte
- Civic Service for 7 months and voluntary work for 6 months
- Actually intern in a humanitarian institute

TanzVerbot

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:43 pm
Hi Monicaa,

So I lobbied about five units and received no interviews from any of them. However, I know for sure that my first interview was a direct result of lobbying a sister unit within the same DG - they forwarded my email onwards.

My other two interviewers found me in the Blue Book. So I don't know. I think even at this stage, there is no harm in lobbying. At worst, you will be ignored.

As for profiles, I think there is little point in comparing because the threshold may vary slightly based on nationality. Native English speakers might have an advantage, as may the very small states, as may Belgians etc. Overall, I think the quality of Blue Book candidates will be very similar. What one may lack in additional degrees, they may make up with relevant professional experience, and so on.

I think we should all just keep out fingers crossed and hope for the best. If it all comes to nothing, then it is not the end of the world and at least we made it this far.
JoJo92

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:48 pm
Hello,

I have had an interview with a Unit in the EEAS which I really want. I don't want to risk being locked in by a different Unit in a different DG.
Is there any way I can do this?
Is it worth sending an email to my interviewer saying they are absolutely my first preference, or is that too pushy?

If anyone has any experience or advice it would be very welcome!

cheers
giova23

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:31 pm
Hello everyone!

The same day we got the email telling us that we were pre-selected I started sending emails to Units I was interested in. The morning after I was called by EPSO (which I did not lobby, but was my third preference in the application) and the "interview" was extremely soft. The interviewer mostly asked me why I put EPSO as one of my preferences and if I would like to work for the Unit Communication and Social Media.

I showed a bit of hesitancy, to which the interviewer asked me if I was hoping to receive other offers. To that I replied that I was hoping to get called by EPSC/EEAS given my academic background and primary interests. The interviewer seemed kind of "disappointed" and told me that she "was willing to do an act of faith" and call me again by the end of the week "hoping that I would not get called by any other Unit" because "I was on top of their list".

Overall I sent something like 15/18 emails to all the units I am interested in and I only got 1 reply telling me that they do not hire trainee this session.

I am getting a bit paranoid and regretful for not having accepted immediately the first call, but I guess I just have to wait and hope to eventually get any offer.

Good luck to everybody!
mrkr

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:39 pm
In my opinion, this stage is quite chaotic. I feel like they are not creating a level playing field by not either release emails for lobbying all at the same time or collectively refuse lobbying.

Anyway, I had my interview yesterday. I think it went OK, I was asked a lot of specific questions right of the bat - not quite like what others have experienced here. We'll see. I have send some other emails as well, but no replies so far.
giova23

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:43 pm
mrkr wrote:In my opinion, this stage is quite chaotic. I feel like they are not creating a level playing field by not either release emails for lobbying all at the same time or collectively refuse lobbying.

Anyway, I had my interview yesterday. I think it went OK, I was asked a lot of specific questions right of the bat - not quite like what others have experienced here. We'll see. I have send some other emails as well, but no replies so far.

I agree...I read online in various blogs that lobbying is essential. I start to believe that the EU tells us not to lobby to add another "layer of selection" to make their lives easier. On the other hand, I got called by the only DG I did not lobby... lol!
mrkr

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:46 pm
Also, on the phone with DG Comp, they told me that they have to pass on their choices tomorrow (!). Don't know if this applies to all of the different teams though, but I just wanted to point out to you guys that I think it is pointless to wait until you receive email adresses, since by that time, it might already be too late. Not that lobbying seems to help, I have only received one out of office reply out of 7 emails Rolling Eyes
giova23

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm
So, as far as I understand, tomorrow the DGs communicate their preferences, right? not their final decision on the single candidate? So we might even be shortlisted by several DGs that chose not to contact us until they send their communication to the recruitment office, right?
mrkr

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:55 pm
giova23 wrote:So, as far as I understand, tomorrow the DGs communicate their preferences, right? not their final decision on the single candidate? So we might even be shortlisted by several DGs that chose not to contact us until they send their communication to the recruitment office, right?

So, how does that work? You get shortlisted, then what? I was under the impression that once a DG tells you you're in, you're in. No?
giova23

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:57 pm
Then why would the Commission tell us that we "shall soon receive e-mail addresses that we can use" to contact them?

My interpretation is that once we get shortlisted by whoever, the commission will send us some details that we can use to communicate with whoever shortlisted us, otherwise they are just cruel Mad Mad
TanzVerbot

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:02 pm
One hears so many conflicting stories. For some, lobbying works. For others, it is the DGs they did not reach out to who call. You hear of people who received no communication and were reserved by a unit without any interview. And then there are random conspiracies, such as that DG COMP is de facto reserved for College of Europe graduates/applicants.

I think it is a question of luck as to whether your application catches someone's eye. At this stage, the qualitative differences between applicants are probably minor.

But anyway, here is an update I just received:

- At noon today, the various Units submitted lists of their three preferred candidates to HR
- By tomorrow afternoon, these Units will be in a position to update candidates on the reservations made in the Blue Book. Though I assume this will be entirely at their discretion

Again, best of luck to everyone.
mrkr

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:05 pm
TanzVerbot wrote:One hears so many conflicting stories. For some, lobbying works. For others, it is the DGs they did not reach out to who call. You hear of people who received no communication and were reserved by a unit without any interview. And then there are random conspiracies, such as that DG COMP is de facto reserved for College of Europe graduates/applicants.

I think it is a question of luck as to whether your application catches someone's eye. At this stage, the qualitative differences between applicants are probably minor.

- At noon today, the various Units submitted lists of their three preferred candidates to HR
- By tomorrow afternoon, these Units will be in a position to update candidates on the reservations made in the Blue Book. Though I assume this will be entirely at their discretion

Well, at least I can debunk that conspiracy - never went to College of Europe but they still interviewed me. But I still don't understand the procedure from now on and I'm having trouble finding it on the website. At what point will we be receiving a final offer? I have other things outside EU pending too and I don't want to end up empty handed at the end of this wild ride.
giova23

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:10 pm
TanzVerbot wrote:One hears so many conflicting stories. For some, lobbying works. For others, it is the DGs they did not reach out to who call. You hear of people who received no communication and were reserved by a unit without any interview. And then there are random conspiracies, such as that DG COMP is de facto reserved for College of Europe graduates/applicants.

I guess then tomorrow we will also receive the news whether our ride ends at this stage.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum