Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Monicaa

Mid June: is it tomorrow? Empty Mid June: is it tomorrow?

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:49 pm
Hello everyone!

I have no more patience untill knowing the results!
Will they announce us tomorrow or we have to wait until end of june?
omark

Mid June: is it tomorrow? Empty Re: Mid June: is it tomorrow?

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:57 pm
Same here :/
I think they meant everything between 10th and 20th as 'mid-June'.
TanzVerbot

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:01 pm
I'm hoping that this week is the final in what could reasonably be called "mid-June". Good luck everyone!
Monicaa

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:52 am
I just asked the Traineeship Office about the date.
They said that we will have the results likely this month and that everybody will receive a message, whether or not they passed the eligibility check!
JoJo92

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:33 am
I think we're past mid June now anyway.
I really want to know whats going on!!
Monicaa

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 am
I just answered!
Likely this month means that there is a possibility to have the results next month.
I saw on the forum that it's already been the case in the previous years.
Nensi

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:52 pm
Thanks a lot for the update! Just saw on the web that they also introduced early July!
Monicaa

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:06 pm
Oh, you're right, I saw it now too!
TanzVerbot

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:37 pm
I'd love to know what the delta between pre-identified and pre-selected candidates is. I suspect if I fail to move from the former to the latter, it will be because I don't have a shiny certificate stating that my linguistic proficiency in English is C2, or in French it is C1.

I suspect none of us are deliberately lying in our applications, so if we have been pre-identified, then I would hope that would lead to pre-selection. But this constantly-shifting date for notification suggests to me that there is some level of further selection beyond simply verifying that statements made in our applications are truthful.

On a side note, has anyone noticed that the language of the European Commission>Traineeships>My Account page has been shifting between French/English/German over the course of the past fortnight? Just details such as gender/nationality.
ansich

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:30 pm
It might depend on how you justified your knowledge of a language in your application. If you stated the relevant experiences that contributed to your understanding, while acknowledging that the proficiency level is based on your self-evaluation, then that information should have been acknowledged during the pre-identification process?
giova23

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 pm
TanzVerbot wrote:I'd love to know what the delta between pre-identified and pre-selected candidates is. I suspect if I fail to move from the former to the latter, it will be because I don't have a shiny certificate stating that my linguistic proficiency in English is C2, or in French it is C1.

I suspect none of us are deliberately lying in our applications, so if we have been pre-identified, then I would hope that would lead to pre-selection. But this constantly-shifting date for notification suggests to me that there is some level of further selection beyond simply verifying that statements made in our applications are truthful.

On a side note, has anyone noticed that the language of the European Commission>Traineeships>My Account page has been shifting between French/English/German over the course of the past fortnight? Just details such as gender/nationality.

I agree with you. If you ask me, I believe the selection committee won't be clement on small mistakes, as they are the only factors that distinguish a eligible from a non-eligible application (given the assumption that nobody lied). That sucks! I know that I've made a small mistake in the application (I wrote that I will graduate in September instead of October). That would be enough to discard my application given the very large amount of applicants. But on the other hand, I am pessimistic by nature, so hopefully I am wrong ahah
ansich

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:51 pm
I think that the purpose of the eligibility check is in a further selection of the candidates, i.e. it is probably not meant as an additional round of elimination, but as a verification of those who have already been identified as acceptable candidates for the entry into the Blue Book. So in that way if there are only small discrepancies that do not subvert the veracity of the facts stated in the application, I expect that they will be tolerated.

The October graduation date might be a problem though, as you will not have the necessary/stated level of education by the time the traineeships begin. If you have already handed in your final work that that you need to defend in order to graduate it might be a good idea to ask your institution if they can speed up the normal review process so tat you cn graduate a few days sooner and still make the selection.
giova23

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:56 pm
My problem is purely formal. I'll submit my MA dissertation on 7 September and then I will be practically done, but the "official" end date of my master is October 3rd, just 2 days after the beginning of the traineeship (and that's the reason why I wrote I finish in September - without thunking).

I don't believe my institution can do anything about it, I just have to hope that the EU will use common sense!
miyo

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:38 am
Hmmm... I would assume that wouldn't be a problem if you stated the studies as ongoing. If you think about it, the graduation date could shift due to unforeseeable circumstances. You can decide to challenge a grade, for example, or extend,or fail (not saying that you will), etc. I would think that when the EC staff are talking about graduation dates they refer the studies that you have already completed and hold a clearly marked certificate for. Having said that, I actually have no inside knowledge of or any previous experience with the EC, so that is just a guess.
ansich

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:22 am
Since ongoing studies are not completed yet they are most certainly not scored in the same way as those already obtained, even if the end-date specified is before the start of the traineeship (because of the reasons or uncertainties described above, so that the end-date is only a prediction). In that way a slight discrepancy between the predicted and actual date of graduation might be a minor issue, since it was already taken into account with the lower scoring during the pre-identification process.

This issue becomes sensitive, however, when the listed ongoing studies are also the minimum requirements needed in order to be eligible for the traineeship (i.e. a Bachelor degree). As per the Stages FAQ, there is no leeway in that situation and the studies must be completed before the deadline:

I will finish my three-year studies after the deadline for sending application forms but before the start of the traineeship's session. Can I apply?

- No. In order to apply you must have completed a full university degree of at least three years of studies (corresponding to a Bachelor Degree). You must have already graduated on the day when you submit the application. Even if you are scheduled to graduate the day after the deadline, you will have to wait for the next session to submit your application.

However, with regards to giova23's predicament, this probably does not apply, since it's the completion of his/her Masters degree that is in question, which presupposes that he/she has already obtained a Bachelor degree. The problem could arise if in the eligibility check phase the reviewers expected some sort of formal guarantees from the university that studies will be completed in the period specified (for example a confirmation that the thesis has been submitted and is expected to be defended at such and such date; or something similar). However, it is not clear if that is what is actually required. In any case, we will know soon enough.
Monicaa

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:24 am
TanzVerbot wrote:I'd love to know what the delta between pre-identified and pre-selected candidates is. I suspect if I fail to move from the former to the latter, it will be because I don't have a shiny certificate stating that my linguistic proficiency in English is C2, or in French it is C1.

I was asking myself also how many of the total number of candidates were pre-identified.

In the e-mail that the Traineeship Office sent me, they said that they have "over 1700 pre-identified candidates", but I thought that they did a mistake by not adding another 0.

Do you think that it was an error or they really pre-identified 10% already from the total? Which means that we are almost all eligible if the documents justify our declarations..?!

And yes, the languages changes yesterday in my case too.
ansich

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:31 am
Monicaa wrote:
I was asking myself also how many of the total number of candidates were pre-identified.

In the e-mail that the Traineeship Office sent me, they said that they have "over 1700 pre-identified candidates", but I thought that they did a mistake by not adding another 0.

Do you think that it was an error or they really pre-identified 10% already from the total? Which means that we are almost all eligible if the documents justify our declarations..?!

And yes, the languages changes yesterday in my case too.

just over 18 455 people (of that 6702 non-EU nationals) applied, so pre-identifying 17000 would not really amount to a strong selection process.

As per the Recruitment process approximately three times as many candidates are pre-identified than there are places available. Those pre-identified/pre-selected are then verified, i. e. checked to see whether they are who they say they are. ELigibility check therefore does not constitute a further selection process per se. People of course can be eliminated from consideration in this stage, but that is because their supporting documents are deemed not sufficient to support the statements made in the application, not because another selection process is taking place.

BTW: Language changed for me today as well (from EN to FR)
Monicaa

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:34 am
Haha, I hope you're right!
giova23

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:21 pm
What do you guys mean "the language has changed?"
Monicaa

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:24 pm
My account language changed from english to german. Nothing important
ViviFr

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:06 pm
Hi Smile I'm glad I found this forum I was worried not to receive a response from the Commission too. Do you think all the preselected candidates will be interviewed over the phone? I tried to add my home phone number to my details because I live in the countryside and the coverage is awful.... I don't want to miss an eventual call... Do you know how to do this?
JoJo92

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:41 pm
Hello ViviFr

I needed to update my mobile number as I moved from Sweden to the UK.
You email :
Eac-Stages@ec.europa.eu

Cite your application reference number (it'll be on your application PDF) and they should just update it in your file.

Good luck!

abdat

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:59 pm
Hello @ ViverFr i also needed to change my address as i moved to another country after application. I explained the situation writing an email to Eac-Stages@ec.europa.eu a couple of times. Neither did the return back to me nor they updated my profile. But at the moment i think writing to that email and hoping that they update it is the only thing we can do.
Monicaa

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:56 pm
A question a little bit out of this topic:

Is your supporting document in multiple languages?
I just realized that in my file I do have some documents in french, others in english..
ViviFr

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:57 pm
Yes me too because I did two erasmus exchanges
Monicaa

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:59 pm
I guess we are more in this situation, no? I didn't even think to translate everything in ONE language since they're EU languages..
TanzVerbot

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:17 pm
My documents are in a mixture of German and English. Actually, I had one document in Latin (go figure) but I provided a certified translation from Latin to German as well. It was the best I could do, in addition to a letter from the university confirming my graduation from that course.

I hope that they won't mind the blend of languages, so long as it is limited to the Commission's working languages.
mon

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 pm
There is no need for that, in FAQ they mentioned that any EU official language is sufficient, so it doesn't even have to be in one of the EC working languages,mine were for instance Czech, English and German.
Monicaa

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 am
Results are Out!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum